Any of you cut/welded a Mauser action/bolt, to make a short action?

attachment.php

I took two vz24 actions to the late Randy Ketchum and he cut and welded them for a 6mmBR length and a 338L length for me.

link below same as pic above

Attachments

• VZ24ShortDSCF0037small.jpg
    VZ24ShortDSCF0037small.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 464
James, I used to use EC Bishop myself, and fitted many of their 80% stocks. It was a shame to see them close. What I heard, was that Macon Gunstocks bought some of their duplicators, and they are located close to where the old Bishop factory was, in Warsaw Mo. At the time, it was them or Fajen, but I always preferred Bishop. Bishop had a very good printed price guide and color brochure, which I guess was their catalog. I think I still have one somewhere.

IIRC, Bishop was considered the "budget" place; Fajen was more upscale, but Fajen used a better grade of wood.

Jim

Jim, with Bishop, you could get a regular/plain grade stock, at 80%, or buy a classier grade, all the way up to XXXX Fancy. I think Fajen did a little more close fitting on their wood, so you didn't have to work as much to cut it down. Bishop did leave a little meat on them that had to be rasped away. I used to like Fitting Bishop's LC Smith stocks, since they didn't route the side plate recesses out too much, which allowed the smith to fit that, and leave the most wood that one could.

I've bought the last I fitted from Gunstocks, Inc., and Macon. Gunstocks Inc. has the better pricing though.

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/index.html

Back