Any M-14s in the Registry

The gas system? No. The M60 is more controllable because it weighs 23 pounds compared to the M14 that weighs 9 pounds.

If you want to get one and dress it up as an M21, go for it. It's your money. I will point out that pretty much every M14 you will see in the hands of our troops today have the selector switch removed and a selector block in place. Heck even the DOE rifle you are looking at has the selector removed. There must be a reason all the M14s are pinned to semi-auto.

---------------------

I will go on to add, if you are looking to make an authentic M21 then a full auto M14 with the selector pinned to semi auto will be make it as authentic as possible.
If you are looking to shoot a M21 on full auto, get ready to be disappointed. High magnification scopes and automatic rifles don't mix well. If you put a AimPoint or something on it, perhaps.
Truly, if you plan to shoot your M14 on full auto, you should look into something like an E2 stock or a Sage EBR stock. That and replacing the flash hider with a muzzle break. That would probably make for a better full auto shooter.

Last edited:
Hi, dogrunner,

The Haynes decision was pretty narrow. The main intent of the GCA '68 in regard to machineguns was to get all those DEWATs registered and on paper, after the big flap created by Ashley Halsey, Jr. in his Saturday Evening Post article. The intent of the amnesty was to prevent prosecution for a previous failure to register the firearm or for having obtained the firearm without having gone through the paperwork, mainly veterans who had never registered war souvenirs and for those who had "rewatted" a DEWAT gun.

The paragraph on Form 4467 says only that information provided cannot be used for prosecution (Haynes), not that the registrant is immune from prosecution under any law for anything. (The idea that a mass murderer could escape prosecution by registering the murder weapon seems unlikely.)

Note that that paragraph gives limited immunity from prosecution; it does not say that registration must be accepted, that registration conveys title over any other claim, or that the firearm in question cannot be seized as contraband. So if no M14's had ever been released (as of that time) and the law assumed that any M14 was stolen government property, an attempt to register one could (and probably would) result in seizure of the gun, even if there were no prosecution.

Jim

YouTube video: Full Auto M14 MBR - controlled fire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qv1O9VOpjQ

Good Iron M14 US Coast Guard / Navy Muzzle Brake
2001.lg.jpg

James K:

I quote: rear of form 4467 amnesty registration form), section 6: in part............The statute requiring y ou to register your firearm provides that information on evidence required to be submitted or retained by (if a natural person) in registering your firearm during the special grace period SHALL NOT BE USED AGAINST YOU DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY IN ANY CRIMINAL PROCEEDING.

Section goes on to state that: the statute does not preclude the use of such information or evidence in a prosecution or other action under any applicable provision of law with respect to the furnishing of false information.

The Haynes decision was the direct result of a fifth amendment challenge to the NFA in a criminal case by defendant Haynes..........the court held that those having illicit arms MUST be given some opportunity to register them.

I'll grant you that it MIGHT have been possible for the Gov't to perhaps succeed in a civil case (property recovery ??)..........but there could have been NO criminal prosecution for any other reason surrounding that registration.

Insofar as the criminal use of that weapon....a homicide, etc......THAT is an entirely different matter. Tho, even then, if the registration itself was the lead in to solving a h omicide it would be excluded under the terms of the fifth and some other route to proving the case would have to be relied on.......that immunity grant is in no fashion narrow in that regard.

Last edited:
A fellow member of this board was kind enough to hook me up with a potential lead.

This is the lead.

https://www.facebook.com/SmithEnterpriseInc/posts/607671939324843

So I called the owner of the rifle. At first he was really nice but then, when I started asking him questions, he got really offended.

He said that to ask if the gun was a cut and welded gun was, "the f**king stupidest question ever times 1,000,000". My response was that I just can't assume that his gun was meticulous, after all, he said that the gun is not a NIB.

He stated that his gun has a serial number of 1, and that Ronald Raegan, himself, authorized the creation of these guns to be exported to Columbia.

He said that this gun is a piece of history.

His asking price? A firm $65,000. Lol.

It's built on one of his receivers, so I kinda get the response to the re-weld question.

It's definitely a piece of history, but $65K is way beyond my budget :eek:

Last edited:
Back