Any lefty shooters switch to shoot righty?

I'm right handed but my left arm is stronger because I'm missing a muscle group on my right side. Although I started shooting righty, during classes that I've been taking it has been pointed out that the muzzle flip is way more than it should be for a lousy little 9 mm and it takes a lot of time to reaquire target for followup shots.

So, I've been thinking about going lefty full-time. I have always practiced lefty for a couple of mags every time I go to the rang and done pretty well. Now I have to pay attention, and shoot lefty more to see if it makes sense to invest in lefty gear.

I picked up my new toy today (a new-to-me Sig P220 in .45) and took it to the range and just went back and forth, each magazine. I like the idea of shooting all four, and using both hands.

Congrats on the new acquisition!! Post some pics!

Congrats on the new acquisition!! Post some pics!

Hey sserdlihc, good to hear from you!

I bought it used. That's what happens when you love Sigs, but can't afford new ones. It's about 10 years old. Round count unknown. A little banged up cosmetically, but the internals look untouched. You can see some scratches on the slide, some kind of bad. And there's a small chip out of the anodizing on the frame.

I have been wanting to try my hand at Duracoating, and was looking for a project gun anyway. So I might try to do something creative with this one.

Pictures are pretty bad, because they were taken with the Blackberry. My normal digital camera got dropped on the tile floor and I haven't replaced it yet.

LeftSide.jpg

RightSide.jpg

If I left eye dominant but right handed and do rifles lefty, would it be good to switch to lefty handguns as well for consistency?

Regardless of whether you are right or left side dominant, the posting about using both sides is VERY spot on. Due to problems with my right shoulder, I was forced to switch to left side for shooting and carry. For years I had been instructing people about the importance of shooting with both hands as equally as possible.

When I had to qualify left hand only (not even supported by the right) the range master noted the change. He also noticed the 100% score..so the practice is worth the effort.

You can see some scratches on the slide, some kind of bad. And there's a small chip out of the anodizing on the frame.

Who cares as long as it functions properly. If you do make it a project gun take pictures from beginning to end. U think we all would like to see the transformation!

Again, Congrats...Nice Sig!!

Lefty Shooter Switching To Right

Up until about 2 years ago I had always shot left handed. After a couple of neck surgeries, I have so much nerve damage, that my left hand shakes. It is so bad, I had to switch to shooting right handed or quite shooting handguns. I started off shooting right handed with a 22, it didn't take long to become adjusted to the change.

Now with handguns its like I have always shot right handed. Rifles I shoot left handed, but I just don't shot long guns very much and haven't tried to change.

Last edited:
I am left handed. After finding I am right eye dominant, I switched to shooting right handed. The biggest thing I had to overcome was getting the right eye to take control of sighting, and do it properly. I use a strip of tape on the left hand lense of my shooting glasses, and that helps a lot. Early on I had a few embarrassing incidents where my eye picked up on the side blade of the front sight instead of the sight blade, and I made a wild shot. But now I'm shooting better than I ever did left handed.

Back