Any Hog Hunters?

Did Winchester start loading fail safes in pistol calibers? Are you sure it wasn't Winchester's Partition load for the 454?

Too true! Fingers got away with me, they were partitions.
It was a great hunt! I can't wait for next year! One of the guys with us took a hog with a knife too. One Ed built for him. My turn next year!

Vince

V.Oller:

Did he recover any of the slugs for the .454? I have some and am curious how much they expanded?

I have a USP40F, how did you GS do? I want to get some hot gold dots and try them out on yotes or pigs.

Sorry, no slugs were recovered, as they were thru and thru. I can tell you that they left a devastating wound channel and one went thru the hog and took the off side fore leg almost off. It was hanging by the skin. I'd say they worked fairly well!

Vince

Are you guys hunting pigs for meat or as varmints?

We haven't quite reached the point of taking pigs as varmints here in the PRK yet (but after this last season, it may not be long there are so many pigs). Are you guys just blasting em like coyotes and squirrels or are you trying to get some meat out of em? Just curious. There are so many on the ranch I hunt on I wouldn't mind taking some 600 yard shots on em for the fun of it if the rancher gave the ok. And as I said, there are so many, I think he might just do that sooner or later.

I want to go Hog hunting in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia also.

I have a group of guys I work with that would be happy to hunt anywhere in Northern California if anyone knows a spot.

Any tips? None of us has ever hunted hogs, but most all of us have hunted deer and elk.

We all live east of the Bay Area near Fairfield.

Anyone want a hunting partner? Let me know I'll be glad to accompany you and your hunting crew.

El Rojo: At one time, feral hogs were such a problem for sheep/goat ranchers around the Leakey, Texas, area that the ranchers were setting dynamite traps for them.

They'd find a place where hogs had dug under a net-wire fence, and rig dynamite with a trip-wire detonator. Sometimes spread hog over an acre or two; sometimes ruin a coyote or javelina.

:), Art

El Rojo, they eat very well. Just remember that they are closer to deer than a farm raised pig. Not much fat, hence you need to cook it moist and as they aren't cleared by a food inspector, you need to throughly cook it. Trichinosis is still out there..

Varmits vrs. game depends on your occupation. My farmer buddies would cheerfully kill all of them due to crop destruction, while some of the pay to hunt places have internal limits.

Giz

if any of you blokes know about australia (where i live)
there is a place called cape york, this is the most northern part of oz. on this certain peninsula there is an estimated 2.2 million pigs some of the biggest being about 4-600# (200-300kg).

just imagine what damage this amount of pigs can doto a land mass that only covers 1/4 of Queensland (see an atlas)

just thought this might be interesting

I would opt for the .308 if the scope was a 2x7 or 3x9 max, and the rifle was farly light I would want a medium to tough bullet 165 grains. This gives you 2 options, head shot if it is standing still to save meat and the power for shoulder shots if it's on the run with an exit would to track.

Best Regards
Sam

Back