Any help with ID'ing a rifle is appreciated

HarlieJ1999

Inactive
I was given a rifle this past weekend - caliber is .284 with a mauser bolt action. Has an unusual on/off tab style safety. I cannot find any manufacturer name anywhere. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0272.JPG
    IMG_0272.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_0273.JPG
    IMG_0273.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 251
Springfield rifle help

Looks like a Springfield 1903, 1903-A3 rifle, look around/under the front scope mount base on the receiver, should be a designation there.

Last edited:
Caliber is absolutely a .284 Winchester. My father acquired the rifle while working as a gunsmith for Simmons in Olathe,KS back in the 1960’s. He shot many deer with it and still has a lot of .284 ammo that was given to me. He thought the manufacturer was Enfield but I didn’t think that was correct - hence my post. I appreciate the info so far - thank you.

It has the 1903A3 stamped trigger guard, but the huge 1903A3 peep sight dovetail is not showing under the rear of the scope base, so I think it is a 1903 Springfield action. If you just must know, take the scope mount off and read the model designation on the receiver ring. I think the stock is a chopped 1903A1 C type.

Heavily sporterised Springfield 1903 for sure, but likely not a 1903-A3. What's the S/N?
The stock is in desperate need of oiling and the rest a good cleaning.

This is a heavily sporterized 03A3, you can see the rear sight dovetail under the scope mount. The 1903 doesn't have it. From what I can see the OP's rifle is an 03.

6qRtGHMl.jpg

Greatly appreciate everyone’s input. The SN is 108xxx - I think. Will double check that later tonight. It’s a project rifle, so the poor condition. Dad had it behind the seat of his truck for several years - barrel will probably need reblued. There’s several stocks on eBay that I might buy if the original doesn’t clean up the way that I want. It came with a vintage Leupold 4x but I’m going to put something more modern on it. Unfortunately the base heads have stripped so it may take some effort to get the base off. Thanks again!

He’s dropped many deer without any issue so it’s been ok so far. With modern ammo, what’s you opinion Jim - or any one else’s?

My opinion is if it hasn't come apart by now with as much use as it seems to have had it's not going to but don't take my word for it.

"My opinion is if it hasn't come apart by now with as much use as it seems to have had it's not going to but don't take my word for it."

The next shot could be the one that puts you in the hospital. That's no as much opinion as experience.

HarlieJ:

Its a tough one. I suggest you take your time and look at the history and then ponder it.

The era clearly had heat treat issues with the receivers. More or less they were doing git by eye on the color of the receiver during the heat treat process.

Receivers were anywhere from brittle to ok.

Compounding it were ammunition issues from that era.

This is also what is called an unsupported case head gun. The bolt does not completely seal off the case head. Its not exclusive to the 1903, it is common for that era.

As a gas release on a shell failure causes it to vent backwards, that can result in a brittle receiver letting go as well as the gas vent issue (latter on they drilled what is known as a Hatcher hole to add to the gas vent ability)

Many rifles were kept and shot till worn out.

Some have been hit with a hammer and shattered (brittle)

It also was not common for rifles to blow up. Unknown if that meant the receiver could be brittle and still ok as long as kept in limits.

It was proof fired at (150%?) once. Obviously man times since.

While the Marines used the RIA 1903s, they never did turn theirs in until replaced with the M1 in WWII (very early)

Back