ANY HANDGUN HUNTERS OUT THERE?

I had an .223 AR pistol, a .223 Contender bull barrel and a selection of rifles that used .223, same loads, NATO
smile.gif

I never messed with carbine and pistol in the same calibre, though I have been putting off the purchase of a carbine in .40 S&W. (secretly hoping all my friends in Smyrna keep lying to me and they will announce the Glock carbine at the SHOT show this year...)

Plainsman
I've got the same 44 combo. Just don't use any 300 gr bullets in the Marlin. Gives a lot more recoil.Mine has just started to loosen up due to the 300's recoil. The marlin wasn't designed to handle that much. Sierra says right on the box that they are for handgun use only. So naturally I had to try some. Accurate #9 at 19 gr. with a 240-250 JHP seems to work pretty well for me. Also 19 gr of Vihta Vouhri N110 with a 240-250 JHP.

RE: Pig hunting

Dad and I were hunting them one time (I was 16 maybe), we happened across a rare big ol boar....the biggest prior to this guy was maybe. 200 lbs. I cut loose with my 30-30, hit him and just PO'd him. Dad with his .280, and the bugger came after us. Ran out of ammo and he is coming in like a freight train. So we went to sidearms. I had a .357 and Dad a .45. My dad kept his head and just kept saying what to do. "Drop your rifle, use your pistol, slow, fire"....and kept up a cadence. Honestly, after my 2nd rifle shot I'm suprised I ever hit him again. I actually hit the bugger 6 times. One of dad's .45s actually did him in, finally dropped him about 20 ft from us, he had been hit 13 times.
Granted a few had simply bounced off him, those big guys have armor. He was around 430 lbs and made the best sausage and roasts you could ever have.
Needless to say, we never went so underpowered again.

Ruger 44 Magnum

I don't hunt with a handgun but I have heard that the Ruger 44 Mag will do a pretty good job.

Been handgun hunting for 21 years now and have killed a many of animal. I guess my favorite as far as a single shot goes is the T/C chambered in the 309 and the 338 JDJ's just got a 257 JDJ and its supposed to kill way out of purportion to its size. A far as my revolvers go...well I will have to stick with my 41 mag blackhawk. For the folks that don't know about these guns check out SSKIndustries.com and Bullberry.com...I have purchased from both and very very reputable.

10mm

what exactly do you plan to hunt with a 10mm and where is it legal to hunt with an auto pistol?

question's for rob.

Good heavens! This is one of the earliest threads in TFL's history!

Rob has indeed harvested hog with a 10mm, as did his wife of the time. The crazy idjit also jumped astride one and did it in with a knife. This was in Arkansas, ca. 2000.

I hog and deer hunt here in SC with a 5.5" Ruger Redhawk chambered in .41 Magnum, a 210 grain out of that gun is good medicine for those guys. Hogs are rountinely killed in this state with knives - we have such a hog problem in some parts of the state (one nuclear facility in particular) that a bounty is offered on each hog but there is one catch no guns allowed. The biggest one I've seen killed like that went about 300 lbs - he was tossing dogs everywhere until the catch dogs got on him.

I'm all ready for deer gun season next week with my 6" .357. I will get a doe (a deer, a female deer) from about 25 yards. Just a small one I can handle by myself.:)

Ammo = Remington Peters yellow box 125 gr. semi-jacketed.:)

Shoots offhand in a 3" circle at 50 yards.

I do some of my varmint hunting with a Savage Striker chambered in 22-250.

Mounted a Burris 2 + 7 pistol scope - had my smith work the trigger - shoots @ MOA with selected handloads of mine using Sierra 53 grain match HP over some H414.

Great fox - coyote - crow gun.

12-34hom.

Attachments

• IMG_0138.JPG
    IMG_0138.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 24
My handgun hunting experiences started about 20 years ago whe I was out squirrel hunting and the action in the semi-auto rifle I was using, broke into pieces. I have always carried a handgun when hunting but never used one for that purpose and I did that day. I dispatched 6 squirrels with my .22 cal. Smith & Wesson revolver and was hooked. The next year I bought a Model 10 Smith in .38 special to start hunting small game with, then the following year started using larger calibers for whitetail. I've hunted with a Colt Python in 357mag, a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 45 long colt, a Smith Model 629 in 44 mag and finally settled on the gun and caliber that are my favorite and I have stayed with for the last 15 years. A Stainless Ruger Redhawk in .41mag, 7 1/2" barrel that came from the factory ready to mount a scope.....so my wife and sons bought me a silver Leupold 2x handgun scope. I mounted it and never looked back. I have taken multiple whitetails, hogs and even a book Fallow with this gun. I handload and have some loads that can literally shoot through an engine block and some that barely push the bullet out of the barrel. I found out many years ago that no one makes snake shot for a .41mag so I make my own. I take a case, load bullseye powder and shove a gascheck on top of the powder just as if it were on the bottom of a cast bullet. I load the rest with #9 shot and place another gascheck upside down inside the top of the case making it flush and giving it an ever so slight crimp. This combp makes a lemon into lemon mush at 8-10 feet. I have used it on a rather large water moccasin here in Texas once and there was no head lefr on the snake at about 10 feet away. Handgun hunting is really great and extremely challenging and I really love it.

Hey Sccdp,
If you ever get a wild hair to sell the 5 1/2" .41mag Redhawk, please let me know. I have been looking for one in that barrel length for 10 years and they are all owned by someone other than me. I currently have a Stainless Taurus in that caliber with a 2 1/2" barrel.......good gun but it just is not the same. If you do get ready to sell email me at mike_seale@yahoo.com.

Ohio Anne,
May I make a suggestion.....get the largest bullet for the .357 you can shoot accurately. Whitetails are animals that have almost a superanimal will to live past the shot. I have seen them run with a perfectly placed heart/lung shot for several hundred yards and more. If the bullet is a little bigger the impact on the animal is greater and causes more trauma from the beginning. I started out with 110gr. and worked my way up to the 180gr. loads made by Federal. Most of my hunts with the Federal load have brought the animal down in much shorter distances and that is even if they run at all. JMHO.

Tex45acp -

I'll keep you in mind if I ever do decide to get rid of it, but that will have to be a really wild hair. I found this gun at a gunshop that I gunsmithed for during college and it is probably my favorite gun that I own. I have been looking everywhere for a 5.5in 357 but those don't seem to be easy to come by either.

Matt

Back