Any good workouts to get better at shooting?

I'm sorry trip, but you're wrong. Lifting heavy weight for lower reps is IDEAL for cutting or bulking. Mainly because...

1. It burns just as many calories as doing lower weight for more reps. Your body exerts just as much energy to lift heavy weighs as it does lighter weight for more reps.

2. When cutting is absolutely essential to lift with heavy weights in order to maintain your muscle mass, or as much of it as you can while eating in a caloric deficit.

3. Losing body fat is 90% diet and 10% training. You can do all the cardio in the world but if you're not in a caloric deficit you aren't going to lose weight.

By the way, I am nsca and acsm certified so all this isn't coming out my ass. It's understandable some of the claims you're making because they are very common myths.

My point stands. You want a good workout routine, the internet is the LAST PLACE YOU SHOULD EVER GO. Go a certified professional, at a reputable gym. Although I loathe the big chain gyms, 24 Hour Fitness is a good call.

Because invariably, when you ask for advice on the internet, it turns into 2 goons butting heads over their opinions.

The things I've posted are not opinions. They are facts- based on the laws of thermodynamics and physiology.

Uh huh. Funny how I've got a book full of "facts" that says otherwise.

Thus, my point has been perfectly illustrated. I honestly don't care what you're saying, and the originator of the this thread shouldn't care what I'm saying, or what you're saying.

I believe, spanky, that my point was that an internet forum is not always a good place to ask for people's advice, because it will degenerate (as this has) into two monkeys hurling poo at each other.

I'm sure that when you finish your homework, you'll have time to write another post before your mom tucks you in.

I just read your posts to Michael Barnes (education director for NSCA), he seems to think that in part you are incorrect with regards to building muscle mass. He just stated to me (on the phone) that my comment (quoted below is absolutely correct):
Not only are there more cardiovascular benefits [in higher reps with lighter weight], but it also burns calories - thereby reducing your body fat% - and therefore making you "tone". Are high reps of lighter weight going to "build muscle" - no it's not going to add to the circumference of your arm or leg per se. But it can burn fat which will tone your body.
To my comment above he did state that I was wrong in my assumption that high reps of lighter weight is not going to build muscle. He says it will in fact build muscle, just not on a scale that heavier resistance training would provide.

To your comment:
People tend to think toning is acheived by doing light weight for high reps, which has absolutely no truth behind it. The only way to look more "tone" is to reduce your body fat% which is achieved by eating in a caloric deficit.
…Mr. Barnes stated there is absolute truth behind the statement - “toning is acheived by doing light weight for high reps” - provided your burning more calories than you take in (this must be what you mean when you speak of caloric deficit). He also stated this is directly related to thermodynamics.

Our conversation was much longer but I couldn’t type as fast as he spoke. I assure you I didn’t conveniently &/or deliberately leave out any part(s) of his comment(s). I only wanted to find out the truth, and if I had to prove myself wrong to do that I would have posted his comments in that respect.

Last edited:
Again I will state that lifting heavy weight for fewer reps burns just as many calories as lifting light weight for more reps.

If you go into a cutting regime and start lifting lighter than you had been in the past in order to do more reps you're going to be in a world of hurt and stand to lose a substantial amount of muscle.

And to the person above, just because that person is a trainer doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. I only stated my qualifications because that's about the only thing I can do on the internet.

Also you need to be clear about what you mean when you say "high" reps. I'm referring to 12-14 repitions. If you're talking about significantly more reps than that then you are getting into circuit training which is different from weight training.

You were wrong, plain and simple, you stated that doing light weights at high reps does nothing to build strength... IIRC it also builds muscle density.

Did I ever say if you took a body builder and told him to do light weights at higher reps that it would build HIS strength? NO! But for many people (not me) light weights and higher reps is a good thing. Especially the frail and those who don't want to look bulky, and it does build strength and burn calories.

And to the person above, just because that person is a trainer doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. I only stated my qualifications because that's about the only thing I can do on the internet.
Michael Barnes is not just a trainer (if he is even a trainer at all), he's the education director for the NSCA. The very same organization you named in order to, one could argue, appear as an authority on the topic at hand. You lose credibility by denouncing reliability of the same organization (it's education director no less!), when the opinion of it's education director differs from yours.

Bottom line: You've forgotten more about physical fitness than I'll probably ever know. However, the "myth", as you call it, has turned out not to be a myth at all.

Here's another FACT - not everyone can build muscle mass the same. Some people benifit from the lower weight method, other cant make gains with heavy weights.
Ive done both. I made gains with the progressive weight traing meaning start out light, get heavier as the sets go. It works for a while, then your body adapts and you need to change the way you lift.
Currently I am on the super heavy duty routine. I lift 2 days a week, one body part, train to failure with 2 sets at 90% of maximum effort. Takes about 30 minutes each time including warm up, then I go home and eat a whole buffalo.
No matter what, you cant do the exact same work out and expect different results.
This is the only proof I have. And I didnt get my routines from the interweb OR a so-called "trainer". www.davedraper.com. He's the real deal.

Cobray, I don't know any bodybuilders that would choose the type of training you're talking about over heavier sets with fewer reps. Watch the pros. Most of them have training videos out and none of them use light weight for building muscle because it just doesn't work.

"Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder but nobody wants to lift no heavy ass weights" -Ronnie Coleman

And don't worry about getting bulky, it won't happen without a good diet and intense training. I laugh when people come to me and say "I don't want to be huge"-don't worry buddy-it ain't gonna happen.

Cobray:
Did I ever say if you took a body builder and told him to do light weights at higher reps that it would build HIS strength? NO!

Wow. I like how tsavo actually repeated what Cobray already said, but said it like he was pointing out a mistake.

You fail Reading 101.

WTH are you blind tsavo? And I went on to say that I myself do not use the light weight high rep method! Did I ever say I didn't want to bulk up?

The testosterone has gone to your brain...

C'mon fellas, lighten up a little. :(

tsavo is a good guy I'm sure. He was pointing out what he felt was a misconception. Probably only doing so to provide what he thought was good information in order to help us out. That is, he was only doing so with good intensions.

We're all on the same team... lets try to keep that in mind. :)

I didn't mean you yourself would choose that type of training. I was saying in general. And I misread the part about being bulky-I had thought you said you didn't want to be bulky. My fault.

Tsavo Wrote:

The things I've posted are not opinions. They are facts- based on the laws of thermodynamics and physiology.

Care to show us your degrees professor?

Then you wrote:

And to the person above, just because that person is a trainer doesn't mean they know what they are talking about.

Uhhm, really? The fact that they are schooled and trained in weight management techniques, and do this for a living, as no bearing on their credability? Dude....gimme a break.....

I guess just because some guy is a brain surgeon doesn't make him more qualified than you to operate on some guys brain either.....sheesh.....

Tsavo Wrote:

And don't worry about getting bulky, it won't happen without a good diet and intense training. I laugh when people come to me and say "I don't want to be huge"-don't worry buddy-it ain't gonna happen.

Wrong again. I was in the military for many years, and was a good old hard working farmboy all through my youth. My muscle size is quite large, and my strength is very significant, and I rarely if ever lifted any weights. Now I may not be all chisled and cut like a pro body builder, but I'd be willing to bet that my brute strength and endurance are far superior to your average bodybuiding 'pose-boy'. And thats real life......

To answer the original question seriously this time. For forearm strength clench you hands into fists and explode them open and closed as fast as you can. I do three sets of 100. Doesn't take much time and works well. Also when I was serious about target shooting--hold a five or ten pound weight like you would point a pistol with one hand and hold as long as you can--don't lock your elbow.

David

Wrong again. I was in the military for many years, and was a good old hard working farmboy all through my youth. My muscle size is quite large, and my strength is very significant, and I rarely if ever lifted any weights. Now I may not be all chisled and cut like a pro body builder, but I'd be willing to bet that my brute strength and endurance are far superior to your average bodybuiding 'pose-boy'. And thats real life......

It's called genetics, everyones are differnt. For the majority of people they aren't going to get huge by mistake. Honestly, your reasoning and logic are really elementary. You take 1 example, yourself, and try to apply that to a broad spectrum of people which never works in any science including physiology.

Pose boy? LMAO-lets see Ronnie Coleman squats 800lbs for 4 reps, deadlifts 800 for 4 and does military presses with 160lb dumbells in each hand-what about you?

And by the way, I know plenty of personal trainers that have absolutely no clue what they are doing. Half the certs out there are a joke, the tests can be taken online and you basically have a worthless certificate. And the facts I posted are pretty common knowledge even in entry level fitness/nutrition education. The fact that you're questioning them shows how much experience you have in this area.

Back