Any Enfield shooters here?

My 1943 ROF(F) No 4 MK 1:
PICT0006.jpg

And it doesn't shoot too bad, either.:
PICT0012-1.jpg

I've carried a '27 No.1 Mk. III (no *) for the past 6 years in the deer woods. I recently found a set of match grade Hornady dies at a YARD SALE for $5... I reaload with Speer 150gr SP's that are .311". Extremely accurate in my rifle.
And down here in Arkansas, commercial .303 rounds are cheap ($15/box) where I shop.

At one time I had nice collection of No4s including one from every maker. I gradually found myself shooting my Garands and 03s more, so sold off most of my LEs.

I'm down now to a never issued Faz No4 Mk2, a NZ marked LB (pristene - appears to have never been issued) and a Greek issued LB. The Greek issue LB is my shooter. I put a PH sight on it and it is a very accurate rifle.

Aussie SMLE shooter

G’day.

Here in Australia there are many Enfield’s still kicking round.

A lot of the early No1 MkIII have been sporterized and ruined in my humble opinion but there are still a lot around that retain the full wood and military markings.

I have an original 1943 Lithgow SMLE No1 MkIII* with all matching numbers, the barrel is a little pitted but it still shoots very well and the throat is not too eroded. Coupled with its 1907 bayonet it looks and feels great. The SMLE holds dear to many Australians as it was used by our troops in WW1 & WW2, personally for me my grandfather fought in Tobruk with a rifle identical to the one I now own and it is a humbling feeling to shoot a rifle like he would have used to fight with in war.

As some have mentioned in there posts it is very advisable to neck size the 303 case as many have done a lot of work and the throats are generally quite long, another thing to watch for with the No1’s is head space being excessive, the bolt head just screws out and there are many that have been made up of bits and pieces and had any old bolt head screwed on without headspace being checked. I have seen several friends rifles that stretch the cases excessively, this may be something you can get away with if your only using your brass once but if you reload they are bound to fail and have a head separation sooner or later.

I will try to post some pics of my SMLE in the near future.

Cheers from down under….

enfield ammo

hey, i'm just getting into LE collecting and shooting and have yet to purchase my first enfield. i personally like the design of the No.1 Mk III over the later No.4's. is it safe to shoot a WWI Mk III w/ commercial ammo?

2300 fps or less for WW1 rifles likw this 1916

MJ20pete20Nigela.jpg

.........................:D............................

thanks

:) nice rifle. since that last post i have aquired a no.1 mk III from 1917. its in excellent condition and i got a pretty good deal on it. i dont plan to shoot it much, mabye occasionally. anyways their was another guy looking at it when i was and we started talking and he said that these were safe to shoot w/ any commercial ammo, that handloads werent required. is that true?

LB 1944 No4 MkI, 1918 III*

I've got a '44 LB with all the proper stamps and matching Serial #'s. Got it for what I considered a steal from a local 5&dime about 15 or so years ago.
I've also got a

LB 1944 No4 MkI*, 1918 III*

Got a No4 Mk1* that I purchased about 15 years ago. It has matching Ser #s
and all the proper stamps and marks, except the four digits on the magazine.

I've also got a 1918 #III* that my brother gave me a millinea ago to get me started shootin and reloadin. I've had the shootin and reloadin curse ever since.

Both of these rifles are a pleasure to shoot. Both very accurate. Sure is fun to shootem' but they kick me like mule. I've made up some reduced loads to go a lil bit easier on my old body.

I'm thinkin I might sell the No4 MkI* to make some room for a new toy I want to aquire. Not too sure what these babies go for any more.

Old e-bear

Finally pictures

Just put together a Faux No4 T, as close as I'll get, from my Century parts gun. A 1942 No4 Mk1 BSA Maltby, two groove barrel.

DSC00455.JPG

I got a nice walnut cheek rest from "Gun Parts", Cad Tech-nik scope mount from Brownells and Weaver Classic V 1-3X scope w/Leuopold QRW rings.

DSC00458.JPG

DSC004733.JPG

I found a load it likes; 180 gr Sierra Pro Hunter
39.0 gr of IMR 4064 and Win brass, CCI LRP.

Now I just have to shoot it more.

Last edited:
I guess this is the place to ask a question, I work with a fellow that has an Ishapore SMLE, I don't know which (Mk) it is I, II, III, IV. But it doesn't have a magazine. Are the Ishapore's the (junkier), or less desireable ones, and are magazines hard to come by, or are they gonna cost you your first born!!! I'm going to try to get this gun and get a little more info from him, maybe try to buy it, wondered on prices,? ballpark what the high and low are going for??

mags are out there. and the Ishapore is a fine gun, the main difference is that it is chambered in .308 NATO as oppposed to .303 british.
as far as values go look on www.gunbroker.com my estimate would be, in good condition of course, about 350$, if its not matching #'s and its in poor condition {i.e. the bore is not good} 250$ or less.

How about the Lithgow?

I have said before I didn't have a MkIII of any kind. But I think that has all changed.

I found these pictures on the wifes cell phone Monday. I was looking for a picture on the grandson from last week. The text said it was still covered in grease/wax.

LithgowMkIIIa.jpg

DSCN0295-1.jpg

Hmmmmm?

.............................................:D...........................................

I have a couple-
No.4 MKII, unissued
DSC_0072-1.jpg

No4 MKII, with matching bayo and scabbard (in the range to be an "Irish contract" enfield).
Irishenfield008.jpg

and a 2a--but no pics

Nice #5. VG+

Can I have a picture of the full rile to save? I will title it to you.

Cheers
..mj..

Back