Any current-production 35 Rem bolt guns?

not current

Watson's post about the Rem 600 was interesting, I did not know the 600 was available in anything but the .308 family and the .350.

Question, a bit of a hijack but still on topic I think,didn't they make a few runs of the early M70 in .35Rem?

The .35 Whelen could be a good modern alternative. Has a little more recoil but flys about 700fps faster. Great round for anything deer-sized or larger in North America. You can find alot of new guns chambered for it

care to enlighten us on this?

Last I looked.. H&R single shot, Remington 7600 and T/C encore ( barrel ) was the only guns presently being produced.

Many years ago Winchester made a batch of Model 70s in .35 Remington.

They are pretty rare and bring considerable money.

Rock Island Auction had one in their December auction that sold. Don't know the sale price, but the pre-auction estimate was $4,000 to $6,000.

Wooly Booger- You can add Rossi Wizard to that list, but other than that, yea you're right. I thought the Remington 700 and Ruger 77 could still be had in .35 Whelen but I just looked and they must have been dropped in the last couple of years. Those were the main two I was thinking of.

I'd proudly own a 7600 in .35 Whelen though. (If I didnt already have my Marlin 336 .35 rem :) )

Last edited:
I personally don't consider a Rossi Wizard worthy of mention in the same post as the .35 Whelen.

You own a 7600 or want to own one? If you own one, I am curious how it performs? I am a huge .35 Whelen fan, owing two....a Ruger #1A ( limited run of 250) and a custom Savage 110 wearing a custom ER Shaw barrel.

Sorry I meant to say "I'd" instead of "I". No I dont have one. But maybe someday. And I agree I havent heard anything good about the Wizard, but they do offer a .35 whelen barrel. I would much rather have the Handi-rifle over the Wizard.

When exactly did Remington and Ruger drop the Whelen in their bolt guns?

Remington stopped cataloging them in 08. Ruger hasn't had them in their catalog in a few years but I saw a few Hawkeyes at gun shows in MT last year.

Same seller, who is from my home area, also has one in .300 Savage, which is rarer than the .35 Remington, and yet it's $4K less.

Wonder why...

Its so sad seeing great cartridges like the .35rem dissapear. And why? because of the magnum/military/high velocity hype. The .35rem is a real deer dropper, but hey, its not great for tactical situations where you could get into a firefight with superzombies at a 600 yard distance..so theres no place for it anymore.

The .35 Rem was s good cartridge, but it really did not do anything in a deer hunting situation better than the .30-30 would do it. Someone will bring it back eventually, but probably not on large scale. I own it in a Contender pistol barrel. Ironically, its a much better pistol cartridge than rifle cartridge.

Back