Any advice on equipment for a greenhorn

I'm open for suggestions on a small bright flashlight that'll last an hour or two in full power use. And don't recommend something you don't actually personally use for hunting/tracking. I want real world suggestions, not what you read somewhere.

This year I picked a flashlight from Home Depot that may just work out. It is a 6volt LED spotlight lantern. Yes, they are a little heavier than a normal light but it just stays in the truck until I need it. I figure with that 6v battery, it should last a LONG time. I also picked up a 4-AA battery version of that same kind of lantern (looks like the old 6v lanterns but is about half the size). That one stays at the bottom of the backpack.

There are lots of really good LED lights out there for big bucks, but these cost less than $10 for the pair (including batteries) so I'm not out a lot.

I use a streamlight for hunting. It has 3 power settings and a strobe light setting. It is by far the brightest light I have ever used. Cant remember which model I have. Check out their website they have tons of options. Very high quality.

Doyle

Next time you go out put your toilet paper in ziplock bag so it will stay dry. Paper towels are a bit to scratchy to wipe with much.

First, good luck!

2nd, a bolt action rifle is the std choice. Any will do. If your hunting group is rough on guns, I'd get a soft case and/or a composite stock/SS barrel gun.

Another great option just over your price would be a 308 AR10! Something in an 18" barrel with a 2-8 scope and a 2pt sling would be faster and as accurate as a bolt gun. Just a thought.

Carry binoculars. Small 6x-7x is best in tight country.

For gear, I wear a waterproof/breathable rain jacket and pants every day. I vary what is under it based on weather. Also, good w/b over the ankle boots are a must for ankle stability. If you are not on uneven ground, you're doing it wrong.

I carry a very low profile pack of knifes, tag & attachments, drag tool, snack, drink, hand warmers, flashlight, multi tool, survival tools, etc. the key is low profile and light. No reason to wear a pack somedays and a waist pack others...you will forget stuff transferring it around. I always have all my gear, but it takes me 20s longer to get going jumping out of the truck.

Doyle commented
I've had days where I drained my 2L camelbak almost dry.
Not in any way am I intentionally critiquing sir. In your circumstance of hunting big game down in Dixie just a suggestion that I rigidly adhere too that again this OP hunter may also gain from.

Don't eat anything 1 hour before and while hunting in heat or not. Everything store bought has salt in it. The more one drinks the more he sweat. Excessive water intake only opens the body pours and creates a title wave in the urinary track. You'll undoubtedly be scented far in advance of where your standing or sitting. As we all know. Any deer that gets a nose full of hunter> Its' gone!! The wearing of scent shield clothing helps but as I've read on the subject: The good news: the most expensive may not be effective. The bad news: none of it works perfectly. Have a good day Y'all. __S/S

For gear, I wear a waterproof/breathable rain jacket and pants every day. I vary what is under it based on weather.

+1.

...and I'll add that a good moisture wicking base layer is very important as well. You can have the very best bibs and parka money can buy, but if you wear plain old cotton next to your skin, and work up a sweat and then try to sit still for a long period, YOU WILL BE COLD, even if the temps are in the 50's.

It need not be anything spendy, either: I usually wear my old army grey PT shirts and poly longjohns..... niether hold moisture at all. I know guys that swear by pantyhose ..... I think they are a bit fruity, m'self .....

While I doubt you'll get very cold in Georgia, it's still a good idea to dress in layers ...... and take something to put the layers in if you take them off..... and try your gear out before you hit the field. Break boots in, make sure you can walk and sit comfortably in your hunting clothes, etc.

Quality boots, and don't wait until the week before the hunt to buy them. Take the time to break them in properly.

Ask your brother in law what rifle he uses to hunt deer where you'll be going. If that doesn't work, ask whether he can recommend a rifle, caliber, and ammo that would suit the area and your budget.

Ask also if he can help you sight-in, or if a borrowed rifle, shoot it to become more familiar with it.

When you go hunting, be sure to NEVER let your rifle barrel get a look at his body, even empty!

Good luck and have fun.

When you go hunting, be sure to NEVER let your rifle barrel get a look at his body, even empty!

+1
I see this happen too much. Do point your gun at anybody and don't let anybody point at you.

Back