Any advantages to wood over synthetic?

The advantage of wood over synthetic? Well, no one spends the evening ooohing and aaaahing over their synthetic stocks. Wood just looks better.

Advantages of synthetic over wood? Lots, but not with the factory molded plastic stocks (all they do is make the rifle cheaper to manufacture). To see the advantage of synthetic over wood, you have to get a laid-up fiberglass, fiberglass/Kevlar, or Kevlar/graphite composite stock. The injection-molded foam stocks like the B&C, HS Precision, and some of the mcMillans are almost as bad as the plastic ones on factory rifles.

I really like the wood on my CZ, but the composite used for my CX4 is very solid. It's more of a polymer/fiberglass/carbon mix that feels heavier and harder than your typical plastic stock.

Scorch: Kevlar/Graphite sounds good. Graphites a little weaker but LIGHT based on my fishing rod knowledge. Where can I see such a stock for say oh, a Ruger Gunsite Scout like mine?

Wood is less noisy than those hollow synthetics. Most will probably not notice.

yes that was what I was gonna say

wood has got soul

but maybe I am cheating because I have laminated wood on 3 of my guns

I have to agree with the guys that say not all synthetic stocks are created equal. I remember when they really took off and the sales pitch was really laid on. Most were just junk. You could not bed them decently because of the release agent they put in the plastic or whatever it was so they could get them out of the mold. No glue or epoxy would stick to them. Picture trying to glue/epoxy PVC (Or for you old guys, Genova). I don't care for the good ones because they weigh so much. The first thought in my mind also was how noisy they are. I walk around a lot when hunting deer. If I have the AR out, I noticed it makes a noise all its own when a branch or sticker bush rubs against it. I mean, it is a noise that can't be natural in the woods. Then again, if I do take it out it is usually in a bad bad weather situation. Six of one, half a dozen of another. I guess it depends on what type of use you want the rifle for.

I usually fill my synthetic butts with tightly packed, black waffle foam,(like in your gun cases) and sometimes I add a bag of lead weight to compensate for barrel weight.
I find that it's easier to work over synthetic than wood, because you can paint over foul ups created by dremel tool or other hand tools.

Hooligan wouldnt making your rear end heavier make your front end more prone to go up? I like a balanced rifle. No rifle I think has a perfect center of gravity but you can get pretty damn close im sure.

The ones I weight, balance perfectly at magazine well, that's what I dig. Some may not like their balance point right there but I do....feels good man.

Just curious, are there any advantages to wood over synthetic stocks? tia

Your question is not specific enough..."advantage", in terms of what?

Weight? Either lighter, OR heavier, can be an "advantage", depending on the use of the rifle.

Accuracy? Depends on whether the action is properly bedded, integral bedding blocks, etc.

Durability? Synthetics are naturally impervious to the elements. Wood- especially laminates, can be brought very close to this- but, drop the rifle against a rock...a kevlar synthetic will come out far ahead. Where is the rifle going to be used- Alaska, or Nevada?

There are many considerations, and the choice of a stock type, and material, should be dependent on the primary use and geography.

Back