Antiqueing done on my 51

Whitney

Nice looking gun merican4guns. What was the method you used for the casehardening. It looks real good.

A4G,

When was that pistol redone?

I know some here like the "old" look, but I think a beatifully blued, and, if casehardened, still all the colors showing, is WAY better than a dipped in vinegar look.

If that gun were not refinished, and if it could be documented that it was not, I am sure it would be worth more, in pristine condition than the same one with the vinegar dip. Them old timers, the ones who appreciated and depended on their pistols, not the cowhands who stuck on in the holster and rode line for 2 months, in the rain and snow, and never pulled nor cleaned them, kept their guns immaculate. Tech of rust, get rid of it, oil 'er up good. Bluing doesn't fade. if there is no blue left, it's been rusted off. So you got a rusty gun that has been cleaned up. I wouldn't want such a piece of crap.

Cheers,

George

Beautifull piece of work there RK...Giving me thoughts and ideas on one of my Piettas now....Great job!!!..just one question...Is the wedge screw missin??

dragoon,
thanks for checking on me and your right ive been slammed at work and getting ready for my trips this year.i seen mikes 51 and had to tell him how cool it looked.

mike,
you did an awesome job on the 51!i want one really bad but i need 1600.00 for my trip to new mexico and 250 for the texas hunt on the way back,then about 15oo.00 to go to colorado in sept for my elk hunt so my gun buying has come to a hault for a while.lol.

Wayne,GM
That gun was refinished about 25 yrs ago.We use a molten cyanide pot @ about 1480 degrees then a timed air cool 1 to 5 seconds ,depending on colors desired ,then quenched in brine,rinsed in water ,dried, oiled and packed for shipping.You dont get much of a case because the parts are only in long enough to come up to temp.so the process is for color,not for hardness.
If anyone is interested in having parts color case hardened .i can provide info to you.Thanks for the compliments:D

Kevin, The hunting trips sound great! I haven't hunted the west in many years. When you get to Colo. you won't want to come back so you better take all your clothes with you. They can always use another cop out there:)
The price of gas alone would prevent me from going that far. Hell, just for me to get to your area of Nashville from here would break me!
I'm guessing it's about 1300 miles for you to get to Denver area and a whole lot more to NM.You will love the country and the people, Mike

Back