Anticipating recoil - Advice?

Here's kind of the long form of my discussion on trigger control. It's one of the things we emphasize at the monthly NRA Basic Handgun classes I and a group of others teach together. We know this works because (1) it's how we learned ourselves; and (2) most importantly, our students, most of whom have never held a gun before, when drilled this way can hit the target consistently (even with some powerful guns -- although we do start them with .22s).

The first principle of accurate shooting is trigger control: a smooth, press straight back on the trigger with only the trigger finger moving. Maintain your focus on the front sight as you press the trigger, increasing pressure on the trigger until the shot breaks. Don't try to predict exactly when the gun will go off nor try to cause the shot to break at a particular moment. This is what Jeff Cooper called the "surprise break."
 (This is where the mantra, Front Sight Press, comes from.)

The position of the trigger finger on the trigger will help to make sure you push the trigger straight back. Ideally you want to contact the trigger at the center of the first part of your finger, mid way between the tip and first joint; and this first part of your finger should be perpendicular to the direction the trigger travels. (However, with some double action guns, one might need to contact the trigger with the first joint to get enough leverage.) Note that if the gun is too big for you, you might not be able to properly reach the trigger; you want to find a gun that's better size for you.

By keeping focus on the front sight and increasing pressure on the trigger until the gun essentially shoots itself, you don’t anticipate the shot breaking. But if you try to make the shot break at that one instant in time when everything seem steady and aligned, you usually wind up jerking the trigger. Of course the gun will wobble some on the target. Try not to worry about the wobble and don’t worry about trying to keep the sight aligned on a single point. Just let the front sight be somewhere in a small, imaginary box in the center of the target.

Also, work on follow through. Be aware of where on the target the front sight is as the shot breaks and watch the front sight lift off that point as the gun recoils – all the time maintaining focus on the front sight.

Also, while practice in very important, remember that practice doesn’t make perfect. It’s “PERFECT practice makes perfect.” More frequent practice shooting fewer rounds, but concentrating hard on what you’re doing, will be more productive than less frequent, higher round count practice.

Practice deliberately, making every shot count, to program good habits and muscle memory. Dry practice is very helpful. You just want to triple check that the gun is not loaded, and there should be no ammunition anywhere around. When engaging in dry practice, religiously follow Rule 2 - Never Let Your Muzzle Cover Anything You Are Not Willing To Destroy." As you dry fire, you want to reach the point where you can't see any movement of the sight as the sear releases and the hammer falls.

Finally, some instruction is always a good idea. I try to take classes from time to time; and I always learn something new.

Think: front sight, press, surprise.

If you know exactly when the gun's going to go off...
You will flinch.
Period.

That is both the problem and the solution.

Last edited:
Focus on the target, forget the gun.
Imagine that the target is a deadly beast with only one thing on it's tiny, predator brain.
It wants stomp you into pudding, rip you limb from limb, and to eat you.
And you need to put 'em where it counts.
No kidding, this really works.

I recommend the opposite: Forget the target.

The target is merely a recording device that records how well you applied the fundamentals. Make it a goal to apply the 2 fundamentals (sight picture, trigger control) better every time you shoot, and the target will take care of itself. You may be flinching because you're focused on the goal (making a good shot), rather than the process. I agree with others who recommended getting rid of the target entirely when trying to overcome a flinch.

Follow up to DeJavu.

When I train with ball and dummy, I have someone else load the weapon. By doing this I do not know when I will fire a dummy round or a live one. They very the number of live and dummy rounds.

SFC Reed, my pistol coach at the 5th Div, simplified the process.

He coached, Sight, sight, sight start trigger pull/push, sight, sight sight, weapon fires, sight sight sight. By focusing on the sights and only conscusioly starting the trigger pull, you will get a suprise break of the trigger and not be anticipating the discharge. It will also correct an number of problems. Chief of which is trying force the "perfect" shot.

His advice has served me well.

Fiddletown, that was a great breakdown and very helpful. "Front sight press" I will remember that. I am starting to understand better what people mean by a "surprise break."

Everyone loves sharing their favorite tips. So I'll join on!

Just 2 things. I read somewhere that an un natural but key challenge to shooting is to make your trigger finger an independent entity. Everything stays still - the muscles is the other fingers, how hard you're squeezing both sideways and front-to-back, your level of push-pull from the arms and shoulders, the height of the gun, your head neck and even tour breathing. The only thing that moves is your finger And relatively slowly at that. The rest of you is like a machine, a clamp, whose only job is to present a stable platform. It's un-natural. To me at least and I believe there are many concepts that make it UNLIKE martial arts. The danger of associating shooting to other martial arts too closely is that our job is NOT to anticipate anything as far as the actual firing sequence goes. And unlike other sports where trying "harder" usually means more speed more power more effort we are trying to hold steady, consistent in the firing sequence at least. Letting the usual ways of trying "harder" creep into your firing sequence and it will move your shots around. It's not natural to hold steady in the face of an explosion, to suppress flinches and reactions.

The other thing is a tidbit I learned from a beginner's NRA class. I thought it wouldn't have anything to offer but one among a few tips was novel to me. That is: after a shot is made, do not relax or reset the trigger until you reacquire a sight picture on the target again. Then reset the trigger and relax or shoot again. This encourages follow through but also is good training for getting that "ultimate controlled pair" everyone wants so bad.

Merry Christmas, God bless.

when I switched from 9 to .40 I developed a nasty anticipation habit.
5 round rhythm drills where I would fire as soon as I reaquired the target helped.

I also had great success with the dummy/live drill. (which is far more cost effective)
At the range, have your buddy (with his/her back to you) load one round into a mag. This 'round' is at their discression either going to be live, ornothing at all. They ride the slide foreward, and hand you,the pistol to fire. If it is empty and you flinch, conduct 5 GOOD dry fires. Moveonto the next round. Do this for 50iterations, but use only 10-15 actual live rounds.

I've wanted to do this without a buddy by myself. Loading a random assortment of spent casings mixed with 10 live rounds. I have enough mags toaccomodate this. Will loading and dry firing spent casings cause problems, ie failures to extract, or damage to my chamber, etc?

Last edited:
Also, while practice in very important, remember that practice doesn’t make perfect. It’s “PERFECT practice makes perfect.” More frequent practice shooting fewer rounds, but concentrating hard on what you’re doing, will be more productive than less frequent, higher round count practice.

Very important advice there.

If you start flinching, stop and take a break. Shoot a rimfire, dry fire, do a few push ups or take a nap. Don't practice a flinch.

"To me at least and I believe there are many concepts that make it UNLIKE martial arts. The danger of associating shooting to other martial arts too closely is that our job is NOT to anticipate anything as far as the actual firing sequence goes. And unlike other sports where trying "harder" usually means more speed more power more effort we are trying to hold steady, consistent in the firing sequence at least. Letting the usual ways of trying "harder" creep into your firing sequence and it will move your shots around. It's not natural to hold steady in the face of an explosion, to suppress flinches and reactions. "

Agreed, I think that that is a large part of my problem with rifle shooting. Today my dad and I were dusting clays all afternoon, because it's more of an "action" type of shooting, I don't anticipate the trigger break, even though the 12 gauge recoil is worse than that on my Mauser. I also shot up some cans with the Ruger Mark II I mentioned earlier, and noticed that at the beginning I still exhibited a slight flinch. A couple mags in and that was gone. I was still hitting the cans mind you... just to the left and slightly low.

Rifle shooting is a mental game and requires precision control of every muscle in the body. I like it because it has a sort of calming "zen" feel to it, in that I am able to focus on just this one thing, and in fact I have to if I want to shoot well. I will most definitely acquire a .22 bolt rifle this next year when I can afford it.

Back