Anti-NRA vitriol increasing?

Id say it is. The NRA has gotten more extreme lately. Personally, I wont support the NRA anymore because its turned into nothing more than a special interest group who uses our money to try to influence elections.
If the NRA got back to being what it was when it started: being all about gun safety, responsible gun ownership and promoting the shooting sports; Id be all for it but Im not going to support a radical, right-wing lobby.

Influencing elections is how we support and defend the RKBA.
Years ago a Congressman from the Midwest told me one reason the NRA is so effective is because they are not a "gimme" lobby-they (we really) are a DON"T lobby. He said the NRA people didn't have their hands out or seeking favors and tailored legislation. He said their message was "Leave us alone."

But from what I do know is they supported the 34 and 68 law, there is a issue of American Rifleman around 68 that has a article in it to that effect.. I don't recall which issue but I can find out if it's of interest to someone.
Why would that make any difference?

1. You agree that the NRA does what the majority of its members want (or doesn't do anything if the majority if its members don't care enough to mobilize it). If the NRA in 1934 and 1968 didn't mobilize against those laws, it's a reflection of what the NRA membership cared about then, not a reflection of what the NRA (and its members) care about now.

2. There was a fundamental change in the NRA's focus in the late 1970s. What they did and what they focused on (in terms of politics and legislation) before that has almost no relevance to what they do and what they focus on now.

If you want to be mad at the NRA, be mad at them for what they are now and what they've done in the past few years. It makes no sense to be mad at them for what they were 50 years ago and what they did back then.
Personally, I wont support the NRA anymore because its turned into nothing more than a special interest group who uses our money to try to influence elections.
The NRA still has a strong focus on gun safety/training, marksmanship and competition. In fact, more than 60% of NRA expenditures in 2016 ($288 million out of $476 million) went to such programs.

http://www.guns.com/2017/05/05/nra-revenue-expenses-in-2016/
If the NRA got back to being what it was when it started: being all about gun safety, responsible gun ownership and promoting the shooting sports; Id be all for it...
Well, here's your chance. Most of their money last year went to precisely the things you say you feel are important. Give them a call and then give them some money.

Their decision to publish videos featuring NRA spokeswoman Dana Loesch is probably largely responsible.

Many people, some members of the sweeping political, racial and social demographics the video indicts as "thugs" who "bully and terrorize the law-abiding," found the video propagandist, reactionary and threatening.

To this last point, Ms. Loesch's call "to fight this violence of lies with a clenched fist" isn't exactly an olive branch.

...some members of the sweeping political, racial and social demographics the video indicts as "thugs" who "bully and terrorize the law-abiding,"
I'm not defending the video because it's overly dramatic for my taste, but let's keep our facts straight.

The video definitely refers to "thugs" and to people who "bully and terrorize the law-abiding". But there is nothing in the video which identifies those actions as being specifically attributed to any racial, social, or political demographic.

If people choose to identify with those who "bully and terrorize the law-abiding" then I can see why they might be upset. Or if people choose to self-identify as "thugs" then it's understandable why they might be offended by the comments. Or if people think it's ok to destroy the property of innocent people when they get upset, it's not difficult to see why the comments in the video might disturb them.

But the video does not call out, or indict, any specific racial, social, or political demographic.
To this last point, Ms. Loesch's call "to fight this violence of lies with a clenched fist" isn't exactly an olive branch.
Wow, that's spectacularly misleading.

First of all, it is a misquote. The quote did not say to fight lies with "A" clenched fist, it said to fight lies with "THE" clenched fist. But even more importantly, the actual quote doesn't stop there. Correcting the misquote and completing the sentence completely changes the meaning of the quote from what the misquote implies is resisting with an actual clenched fist, to what the actual quote says about resisting lies with the metaphorical fist of truth.

Here's the entire sentence.

"The only way we stop this, the only way we save our country and our freedom is to fight this violence of lies with the clenched fist of truth."​
Now, I suppose that fighting back lies with the truth is seen as "propagandist, reactionary and threatening" to some, but it's hardly the call to violence that some more creative people have tried to make it in their quest to find offense at every turn.

If the NRA got back to being what it was when it started: being all about gun safety, responsible gun ownership and promoting the shooting sports; Id be all for it but Im not going to support a radical, right-wing lobby.

I just wish that gun rights were treated as constitutional rights and not republican rights.

Seems to me that if you think the NRA is radical right wing and gun rights are only for republicans, you have already drunk the radical left Kool-Aid to a point.

It may LOOK like the NRA only supports Republicans, but that is a situation CREATED by the Democrats!!!!!

When one party makes gun control (registration, confiscation, and even outright prohibition) one of their political party "planks" and the other doesn't, it kind of doesn't leave us many options about whom to support.

There are Democrats who believe in gun rights the same way "we" do, but they are thin on the ground, and have not been allowed to make party policy for a long time now. There are Republicans who are gun control advocates too. So far, they have not been in a position to lead the Republican party, either. So far.

No, the NRA was not created to be a political force opposing gun control. For nearly a hundred years, they weren't. They became one (and created the ILA to do it legally) because NO ONE ELSE was there to fight gun control in anything even remotely resembling effective numbers. And there still isn't, really.

For those of you who decline to support the NRA's work against gun control (which I admit has been flawed on occasion), because the "didn't do enough" or "didn't stop" this or that specific law, tell me, who would you support??

What did YOU do, gunowning NRA basher??

If you're a sports guy, do you stop supporting your team because they don't win every single game???

IF you're in a war, and you don't support your "army" with supplies because they didn't win every single battle, you won't be winning many more battles, nor will you win the war. If the Generals directing things lead to defeat more often than victory, you replace THEM, you don't cut off the flow of beans & bullets needed.

oh, and FYI, about the GCA 68, yes the NRA didn't fight much against that one, partly because the people at the time didn't foresee ALL the unintended consequences accurately. Even the gun industry supported the GCA 68, BECAUSE it was sold to them as a trade protection law.

The US gun industry, at the time, was struggling, losing a lot of business to foreign imports. The GCA 68 promised to curb the imports. All they had to give up was mail order guns (and after all, it was a "foreign mail order gun that killed JFK"..) and a "few other little regulations"....

Like a lot of other laws, what we were told it would do (to get our support, or at least not actively oppose) and what it actually did were somewhat ...different things.

You're welcome.

Precisely. It's easy for people to sit back, armchair quarterback, and gripe about the results when they personally put nothing into the game.

To the "what has the NRA ever done for me?" crowd, you have no idea what they've done. If it weren't for them, we'd have seen sweeping handgun bans and nationwide registration by 1972. Once the the ink on the Roberti-Roos act was dry in 1989, we'd have seen a federal "assault weapons" ban that wouldn't have had a grandfather clause or sunset date. The very idea of carry permits would be a weird and alien concept. Ammunition sales would be tightly controlled. As a result of all this, the few guns to remain legal would be astronomically expensive.

Who else was going to stop the gun-control lobby from getting everything they want? The GOA? The NAGR? Please.

Whether or not the naysayers realize it, they've been riding the NRA's coattails for decades. The fact that we're even able to have this discussion is because of groundwork the organization laid before most people in the debate were even born.

IF someone doesn't like the direction the NRA has taken, they're welcome to actually do something about it. As it stands right now, a vanishingly small percentage of gun owners (I've seen estimates as low as 5%) actual belong to the organization. Any membership level 5 years or higher entitles members to vote in board elections.

Want LaPierre out? Don't like the allegiance to one political party? Perhaps consider forming a bloc to change the leadership. It's happened before, and it really doesn't take that many people to do it. The problem is, there are just that few people concerned and involved enough to bother.

But no. It's easier in the age of Tumblr to post vitriol on the internet, bask in social-media acclamation, and mistake that for action. TL;DR: if you don't like the situation, you can change it. Problem is, nobody seems willing to do the work.

Just another small point, on which I could be mistaken on,

There are folks afoot who take a word, jack it up, and slide a whole 'nother meaning under it so you can't use it anymore like you used to use it.

Like the word 'gay'.

'Thug' might be one of these words that is in the process of being redefined and maybe we should watch out how we use it. But I concede I might be mistaken here and might be over sensitive or too politically correct or just flat out wrong (a possibility I never totally reject).

To answer the OP, Libs are losing and don't like it, so they are shotgunning ALL Conservative interests, hoping to hit something. Not working as they don't know how to shoot.

Joe Sixpack said:
I don't know about the 5$ pistol tax, But from what I do know is they supported the 34 and 68 law, there is a issue of American Rifleman around 68 that has a article in it to that effect..

The NRA did not support the 1968 GCA. They half-heartedly supported an earlier version by Sen. Dodd in 1964; but when it came to the 1968 version:

"Facing this unprecedented, widespread push for gun control, the NRA became highly energized and rallied against the president's proposed regulations. National Rifle Association executive vice-president Franklin L. Orth argued publicly that no law, existing or proposed, could have prevented the murder of Senator Kennedy. On June 15, 1968, the NRA mailed a letter to its members calling for them to write their members of Congress to oppose any new firearms laws. Using hyperbole and emotionally charged rhetoric, NRA President Harold W. Glassen wrote that the right of sportsmen to obtain, own, and use firearms for legal purposes was in grave jeopardy. Furthermore, Glassen wrote, the clear goal of gun control proponents was complete abolition of civilian ownership of guns. Senator Joseph D. Tydings, Democrat of Maryland, who had introduced the provisions requiring licensing of gun owners and registration of firearms, responded to this accusation in a press conference calling the letter "calculated hysteria" and saying no bill would prevent law-abiding citizens from having guns. Nevertheless, Glassen's tactic effectively energized the membership of the NRA, then 900,000 strong, just as the public outcry calling for more firearms regulations was dissipating. Whereas Congress had encountered overwhelming support for more gun control measures in the week after Senator Kennedy's death, by late June and early July they reported the majority of the letters from constituents indicated opposition to any new gun control provisions."

Last edited:
Back to the OP's original question: I think vitriol from both the right and the left on a wide range of topics has been increasing since at least the Bill Clinton era, and has now reached the point where the vitriol is harmful to the nation's well being. I think the solution is to respond with facts and calm politeness no matter how vitriolic the other side is.

Tom Servo
So, we've got "gun safety" advocates working in direct opposition to the nation's largest, most effective gun safety organization. Let that sink in.

the nation's largest[, oldest, ]most effective gun safety organization.

Fixed it for you.

They've been spouting lies about the 2A community for years and now they're being seen as exactly what they are - deceitful people who want to strip people of their freedoms.

They feel if they can destroy the National Rifle Association they can get "common sense gun control" passed in Congress. They are screaming louder with every Concealed Carry License granted. They can scream and stomp their feet all they want, public perception is skewing towards the 2A community and away from the gun grabbers.

NRA is 4 million members with a few million to spend on politicians.
Micheal Bloomberg is a billionaire that spends as much as he can on gun prohibition.

Back