Anti-gunner friend wants to handgun hunt deer with me. Need help

:D Relax, Smokey; sometimes we get a bit of thread-drift into that wonderful arena of "stuff".

Wuz reading the current G&A article about CAS guns, last night. If I understand what some of it said, the .44 WCF aka .44-40 showed up in 1873. I think.

Can I drive the pace car?

Art

PS: The conventional spelling is "Geronimo". :D

SmokeyBaer,

Your point is quite a valid one; pistol cartridges have been used as effective hunting tools for about 150 years.

Secondly, perhaps I am wrong but you sound bothered by my question. If so, why? Read my first post. I said I was taking a *side trip* to check *my* memory. I didn't question your point, your knowledge of Winchesters and pistol cartridges or your qualifications for running the Indy 500. Your post simply popped a question into my head, that's all. If I wasn't clear in my post then that is my mistake and if I have misread or offended you then I apologize.

Thirdly, the question inspired me to go out of my way to the storage unit, get the box with my books and research the matter last night. I found out the 1866 was originally a .44 rimfire with a heel-type bullet. Some of the later 66's were converted to centerfire and used a bullet measuring a nominal .427 inches (the dimensions of the .44-40 and other .44 centerfire cartridges as opposed to the dimensions of the rimfire cartridge which was a true .44 caliber). Apparently, barrels were taken off the centerfire production line and attached to the converted 66 models.

What does that have to do with anything here? Absolutely nothing. But it sure does twiddle my fiddle! :D

Jack

You didn't offend me, just caught the post at the wrong time. Sorry if I responded incorrectly.
I did want to counter some of the popular fiction about the workings of bullets. Too bad people like Evan Marshal make money off of this type of misinformation (110% one shot stops????? What did they do, resurect one in ten and shoot 'em again?) especially since sometimes the people exposed to this drivel have to depend on it.
I was also a bit off on a tangent, because so far there is a lot of good advice here. The best, I think, is that a novice should not try to hunt with a handgun.
Again, if I seemed out of line, I did not intend such.
:D
Smokey

SmokeyBaer,

We're all cool then. And welcome to TFL!

I must not be in Mr. Marshal's camp cause I never provide resurrection for more than 3% of the game I take and frankly I'm going to cut back a bit...I don't mind the mouth-to-mouth, but the defibrillator makes my pack too heavy.

Jack after one too many cups of coffee!:eek:

I always liked Vassar Clement's fiddling, myownself. :)

Smokey, where you located in Deutschland? My son lives down near Lindenberg. He stayed in Germany after bailing out of the USAF after Desert Storm; he's working as a GranPrix motorcycle mechanic/team manager.

Dunno if I'll get over for a visit, next month, or not...

Art

I live right in between the towns of Heidelberg and Mannheim. If you do get over here and need something, or just want to visit a range, give me a call. My cell is 0160 92527906 and my work number (from a civilian line) is 0621 730 5384. Jot them down.

We do have a pretty nice range in Heidelberg-Oftersheim and the hunting season is in full swing so............

Handgun hunting for a first deer hunt is a bit imprudent
ESPECIALLY for someone who was recently antigun

He could easily screw up the shot and really crunch his own psyche

My dad had me take my first deer with a single shot 20 gauge shotgun

"because he wants to" is not a good reason

Hey all. Thanks for the input. From everything I've read here I'm pretty sure now that I will convince him to use a 12 gauge for the first time out. Meanwhile, I can teach him pistol skills and he can practice with the weapon he buys for perhaps the next hunting season. I think I'll encourage him to go with a .44. Thanks again, and have fun with your tangents. :D

Actually I lean more into letting someone develop skills using a rifle before going into handgun or bow hunting. Limiting one's self before learning to hunt effectively is very frustrating and could lead to him returning to his prior posture of anti-hunting/firearm.
Personally, while a lot of these "Hunting Handguns" with long bbl's are legally termed short guns, quite a few are nothing more than carbines without the buttstock (14" TC...) and actually more difficult to carry than a rifle. You can put a rifle down, hard to do with a chest harness :D

Back