antelope trip report - coupla firsts

"Luckily, they were all misses ....."

You got that right.

I'm gonna blow this pop stand in about 5 hours and head north. Been fighting a cold all week so I hope that doesn't screw things up. Last time I went we sat up in a windmill tower that the archers had built a blind in. When the buck finally came by, I was freezing and shaking so hard I missed him...twice. Taking insulated coveralls this time.

My cousin knows their patterns pretty well so we do more sitting and waiting than stalking.

I'll post a new thread Monday about our (hopefully) good luck...

Good Job Labgrade! And Good for your wife too! Have any trouble estimating range? Most beginners at "goat sniping" overestimate. And as far as shooting at a running animal.. antelope are the SECOND fastest land animal in the world. Hitting a 9 inch kill circle on an animal running at 55mph, even at CLOSE range is a feat! Its also a good way to get a gut shot animal. And trust me, while antelope is tasty.. they smell pretty awful when you open them up.

I've been antelope hunting for years in Co & Wy.. always used the same rifle as I did for every other season. namely, a Savage 110B in 30-06 with a weaver scope. I've lost count of how many 'lopes have fallen to that rifle, but when I gave it to my brother, I went out and bought another Savage 30-06, a 116 fasack "weather warrior". I've killed a number of antelope with that too.

Funny thing about antelope. They know exactly when hunting season is. When you aren't hunting them they are everywhere. When you have a doe tag all you see is bucks and when you have a buck tag all you see is does. (well sometimes its like that) MOST of my shots have been within 200 yards, with a long range record of about 375 yards, and a low range record of 50.

I zero my rifle for 200 yards, with a 7 inch drop at 300. I use a handloaded 165gr sierra game sbtsp king that delivers a whallop without destroying a lot of meat. I used Remington Bronze Points for a long time.. but they really waste a lot of meat.

I didn't draw for antelope this year... but I may head up to WY for a doe hunt next year.. its just too much fun.

I used to use the 150-grain BP. Onliest bullet I know that makes as big a mess at 350 yards as at 50! :D

Think "neck shot"...

Art

Range estimation was actually nil.

The Wife's is set with her NBT 120s at 2.5" at 100 & after a measured 300 yards shoot, they drop right in 7-8" low at 300. A quick duplex scope cross-hair distention figured a "hold it on the back-bone & squeeze it off."

We did screw up - (obligatory hangs head in shame as a professional guide, husband & all round good guy .... ) .... the bullet did hit about an inch higher than I expected ..... :confused: AND, the darned critter actually did get to walk a bout 3 steps. Who'da thunk!?

C'mon. I've seen The Wife shoot before! ;)

Mine? I've that .243 load sighted in a all but 4" high at 100 - it's certainly not set up to be a brush gun.

Shooting a straight 12X varmit scope & dialed in as such for 300+ - was just the matter of placing the crosshairs on the top of his head. Bullet actually head-shot 'im about 3" lower than where the cross-hairs were scoped on.

Bi-pod helps. Never tried one in hunting situation before & they're worth the $s - for that one shot alone .....

Back