Another "zero-tolerance" excess

From today's Gazelle:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
OUR VIEW: Near-zero logic?
Sweeping rules on weapons in school leave
little room for common sense

As you'll glean from a glimpse at today's Tell it to The Gazette, readers aren't too keen on Mitchell High School's decision to suspend a student after a random drug search
turned up a pocket knife in her car - in a first-aid kit. Permit us to amplify some of our readers' views.

The fact that the senior, Sonya Golden, is an honor student who was named to the Mayor's 100 Teens list for her leadership skills, is beside the point. No one is asking school authorities - in the unfortunate words a school District 11 official used last week in a Gazette report - "to apply different rules to different kids."
That's a red herring, in fact. We join our readers in asking simply that school officials apply common sense.

And to the extent the rules themselves impose an unworkable, one-size-fits-all standard, policy makers should apply due haste in rewriting it.

In this case, Golden had done nothing of record that should have invoked scrutiny in the first place. The school district's security department uses dogs trained to sniff out drugs, alcohol and gun powder, and on a routine search of the high school parking lot the dogs apparently turned up the scent of alcohol around Golden's car. The scent was the result of an alcohol-related crash involving the car's previous owners, Golden believes.

Golden was pulled from class and asked if her car could be searched. She readily consented. It turns out she'd forgotten about the 21/2-inch pocket knife in a first-aid kit she and her mother had prepared and placed in the
glove compartment. Busted.

None of the administrators at the high school or at school district headquarters are challenging Golden's account or disputing her intent, which seems to be above reproach. Rather, officials are standing behind district policy, insisting they cannot bend the rules. She got a three-day suspension.

Those district-wide rules, which deem the pocket knife a "standard weapon," also state in part "... A student who violates this policy may be suspended and/or expelled,
depending on the nature of the violation." Given the insertion of "may," it's none too clear school authorities' hands were tied. It could be read to mean Golden didn't have to be disciplined at all, depending upon the
circumstances.

More generally, such sweeping "zero tolerance" policies, however well-meaning, almost invite abuse at some point. Too often, they're not thought through before they're enacted - as if intended at the time to serve
less as a legal standard than as a political statement in the wake of extraordinary school tragedies and general concerns about discipline. Then, the unintended consequences start to pop up.

Schools are to be lauded in general for trying to rein in the unruly students in their ranks. But overkill isn't the answer. We commend both Sonya Golden and her mother, Tamara Golden, for a measured and gracious response to all this. But we respectfully disagree with their shared sense that sometimes even the innocent must face the music to prevent tragedies on the order of
the one last spring at Littleton's Columbine High School.

School officials are kidding themselves if they think they're setting an example for any students who might actually have ill-intent. Plenty of students, and from the looks of it, the vast majority of our readers, see right
through that to the net effect: punishing the innocent.
[/quote]

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property,
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called into question.."
Article 11, Section 13, CO state constitution.

If a 2 1/2 knife in the glove compartment is such a threat, what about all the tire irons in trunks of cars? If I were looking for a weapon, I know which one I'd choose. Just about everyone, including the staff, need expelling.

How does an "Honor" student get that far along in school without ever being taught a little snipet, which happens to be the CORNERSTONE of American Justice, "Innocent until proven guilty"?

Sounds like all her "Educators", and her mother, need a couple cracks with the clue-bat :)

-L

How does an "Honor" student get that far along in school without ever being taught a little snipet, which happens to be the CORNERSTONE of American Justice, "Innocent until proven guilty"?

Lonestar, you're overlooking something extremely obvious: honor students aren't necessarily the brightest kids, just the ones who get the best grades. In other words, the ones who parrot back exactly what they're told and don't question what the teacher tells them.

Speaking from experience, I am.

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property,
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called into question.."

Vomitorium is correct. Much like a number of people on the board, I am totally disgusted by the childs response to the whole matter. Its OK for som einnocent people to get punished if it prevents further death and destruction. Evidently, her history and government teacher neglected to inform her of the reason we put up with the justice system we have is to make sure that the innocent never get punished. Hello!! anybody home up there???? Whats even scarier is that she is supposed to be the top 100 leader thingie. What is that all about?? Do we really need leaders willing to sacrifice innocents that willingly. I forsee "fraging" making a rapid come back if dip sh%$# like these are ever put in charge. Oops, my bad...they are already in charge :(

People today really scare me. Nobody thinks and nobody wants to promote independence and individual rights. The government tit awaits us all .

Quick! Somebody ban the pens, pencils, binders, rulers, calculators and other school materials. All can be used as weapons. Anyone care to teach a class in common sense?

------------------
Zero tolerance = Zero intelligence

Coin,
I know it,heck, my senior year I made most my date money off the Valedictorian, playing Spades in study hall(He never did learn ;)). But I'm continually blown away by what I hear kids are NOT being taught today. Ya know, silly stuff like Why we have this country, what it means to be an American, Respect for the individual, Respect for other's opinions, that kind of thing. I was just voicing a little frustration at what we are calling "our brightest" students.

Anyone remeber when they used to teach people How to Think, Now it's WHAT to think (and it better be something EVERYONE agrees with)

GRRRRrrrrrrr

UPDATE: Sonya and Mom fire back at D-11. The following letter was printed in today's Gazelle.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>

Student, mother clarify their views on suspension

We would like to clarify some points of concern expressed by the community regarding Sonya Golden's suspension from Mitchell High School. My daughter and I have been quoted out of context. Initially, our hope was to express that as the policy stands, the actions made by the administrators were fair, but after reviewing current D-11 policy it is evident that the administrators of Mitchell High School did not follow proper policy or process. We are not blindly agreeing to the zero-tolerance policy and applauding the decisions that were made. We were simply acknowledging that under current policy and current fear of school violence, the administrators appeared to make the right decision given the process they followed. Sonya and I, however, are not quoted as saying, "they made the best or most logical decision and followed the best process." Much to the contrary, my daughter is correctly quoted saying, "Each crime is individual, each student is individual, and so shouldn't every punishment be individual?"
This more clearly expresses our position and discrepancy with D-11's decisions and policy process.

We are concerned about the zero-tolerance policy and the process that is followed when a violation occurs. My daughter is a minor. She was pulled from a class, she and her car were searched, she was stripped of her possessions, and she was suspended from school. All actions occurred without any
District 11 official or the Colorado Springs Police Department notifying me.

Several of our constitutional rights were violated. Several of our rights under District 11 policy were violated. U.S. citizens are protected against search and seizure without a warrant (the Fourth Amendment). District 11 policy states, "the
principal will notify the parent of contemplated action, and that an informal hearing can be arranged to evaluate the offense and appropriate disciplinary action." None of these rights were presented to Sonya or me. Thus, both our constitutional and district rights were violated.

In summary, the current zero-tolerance policy took precedence over federal law. The common American ideal that citizens are innocent until proven guilty does not apply to D-11. In fact, it discriminates against the innocent because under the current policies all are guilty, no discussion or rational
decision making allowed. The current policy is too structured to allow for common sense and intelligent evaluation of the conduct to determine the actual or potential harm caused to other pupils or school personnel.

We invite all District 11 parents, students and citizens of this community to take a closer look at the current policies. We invite you to join us to use this unfortunate incident as a catalyst to seek modification of the current discipline policy so that there is some common sense and logic governing the safety and discipline of our children, as well a more just method of discipline. Let's all work together to create a positive change that is best for our children. Let's create a school district and policy we can be confident in, proud of knowing that it satisfies our American rights to justice.

- Tamara and Sonya Golden
Colorado Springs
[/quote]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Coinneach (edited November 24, 1999).]

Nice catch Ms.' Golden, but still too wimpy for me. Why do I have this basic feeling that they (D-11) deserve a real whipping with the cluebat, then should be sued to dogsh*t and the morons responsible fired?
M2

M2, I wouldn't bother with the cluebat. Dr. Ken Burnley, D-11 Superintendent, couldn't get a clue if he was drenched in clue-musk and dropped off in the middle of the clue ranch at the height of clue mating season.

This twit Burnley was one of the panelists during the locally infamous "guns are a public health issue" forum here last month. One of the questions he got from an audience member was, "What *active* measures do you have in place to prevent a massacre at your schools?" His reply: "We have a very strong, 100% zero-tolerance policy against weapons on campus."

So much for *active* measures. I'd like to know what color the sky is in Burnley's universe.

------------------

Amendment IV
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Amendment V
....... be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Why do I keep reading about these Amendments being violated by our public officials?

A good argument to those liberals that say "this is the law" when defending such acts as above would be to reply "yes, but you're law is unconstitutional".

------------------
The new guy.

"I'm totin, this pistol because my dang SKS won't fit in my holster"

[This message has been edited by Jimmie (edited November 24, 1999).]

Coin, "drenched in clue-musk", etc.? holy moly, LOL! You would have owed me a keyboard this time, except that I have enough sense not to drink anything when I read your posts. ;)

Every time I hear about the innocent being crushed in the gears of a zero tolerance policy, I pat myself on the back for having the foresight to pull my daughter out of the public school that was boring her to death anyway. After the Columbine tragedy and it's several copycat ripples I said to myself "Self, theres gonna be a whole heap of Knee-jerk, thoughtless, moronic, rights trampling rules in every school house in this Henny-Penny Nation, what say I take my bright morning star out of the line of fire of these crap flinging liberals?" I talked it over with my inteligent wife and we did just that, She now homeschools and has in fact already passed the college ACT test (in school she'd be in 9th grade now).

It seems in the rush to "cover my ass" our noble scool administrators have castrated themselves in deferrence to the superior? potency of poorly written policies. Scools, at least since I went to scool have always tried their best to stifle any breath of individuality, to turn childrens minds into xerox copies of an artificial model of what society wishes we all were. It disgusted me when I was in school and it disgusts me even more now.

------------------
David L. Blackburn

Dave, without exception, every home schooled student I know is light years ahead of public school students.

Makes you wonder why we are paying all that money for, doesn't it?

------------------
The new guy.

"I'm totin, this pistol because my dang SKS won't fit in my holster"

Honor student ready to forget, yeah, right! She can forget about ever working for the FBI. She can forget about ever working for the BATF. She can forget about ever working for the NSA. She can forget about security clearances. She can forget......

From Today's Gazette:

Suspended honors student back at
school, ready to forget

By Nancy Mitchell/The Gazette

In the end, they agreed to disagree.

Sonya Golden, the Mitchell High School honors student
suspended for having a pocket knife in her car, and mom
Tamara Golden met for an hour early Monday with
Principal Michael Poore.

The three debated the zero-tolerance policy on weapons
in Colorado Springs School District 11, talked about how
Sonya's case was handled, and then the 17-year-old
senior got her wish - to go back to school.

Her three days off will be marked as absences in her
record.

"I personally would like to forgive and move on," Sonya
said. "I feel I've learned from the experience."

The Goldens still don't agree with the policy, which
mandates punishment for certain offenses regardless of
the circumstances.

Sonya wants formal hearings before student juries to
mete out penalties for students facing suspension.
Students facing expulsion already receive formal
hearings.

Also, she'd like to see alternative forms of punishment,
such as community service, instead of simply kicking a
student out of school.

Poore stood by D-11's policy, saying it has helped make
Mitchell a safer school.

The exact location of the knife also was debated. Sonya
said it was in a plastic bag containing first-aid supplies.
Poore said security officials told him it was in the glove
compartment with the supplies, but not in the bag
itself.

In any case, Sonya and Tamara Golden said they hope
the incident has made more people aware of the D-11
policy. Sonya said she'll talk to students about the
importance of knowing the policy and their rights.

"I'd really like to just be a student again," she said at
the meeting's end. "I'd just like to be a normal kid."

What scares me most is the indifference of the student & parents. No, not even indifference, it's sheep to the slaughter. A dog smelling alcohol is grounds for a search ??? Her parents could've spilled beer while taking it out of the trunk. She could've rolled through a puddle in the 7-11 ... the list of resonable explanations goes on. The student is described as a leader of the Fellowship for Christian Athletes. Apparently she never learned the story of Corrie Ten Boom, a Christian who risked her life to hide Jews from Nazis. The Nazis oppression of select groups began just like this incident. Where are the heads of Americans who let their rights be trampled with a stupid grin and a "it's all for the best" dismissal ? As if suspending a student for a first-aid knife will prevent another Columbine ?? How inane and ignorant. God help this nation.

And where was the good Rev. Jackson throughout all this? Oh yeah. He was out trying to get people with absolutely zero regard for the safety of others back into the school they didn't want to be in to begin with. I guess everyone has priorities.

This is an editorial piece that I wrote several months ago for the local paper on the subject of "zero-tolerance" and the damage it causes. For those who wish to use all or part, I release this to the public domain, no attribution required.

Jim Peel

The Death Of Goodness In America

I was exiting a local warehouse club recently and was greeted at the door by the obligatory person who checks your receipt against the goods in your cart. I thought “Treat everyone as though they are a thief and no one can complain.” I later heard the President say on television that we have reached a level of zero-tolerance in America. I thought “Treat everyone as though they are a criminal and no one can complain.” The two were inexorably linked in my mind.

Most Americans can tell you that the death of common sense occurred years ago. What most fail to realize is that the death of goodness accompanied it.

Mandatory sentencing, due to the unwillingness or inability of judges to act against criminals, is one aspect of the equality in justice that has removed all semblance of cognizant thought from the process. Judges have their hands tied when it comes to sentencing; unable to differentiate between persons who broke the law with malice or those who simply fell astray. Any consideration of the motive of the accused is removed and everyone is treated as though they had heinous intent. Everyone is lumped together as a single evil entity.

Not even the President of the United States is exempt from this madness. Under the laws, as written, he has no choice but to impose sanctions on any nation that errs on any side but our own. The result is that the United States now has sanctions on many countries including some of our closest allies. Regardless of their true intent, all who err are treated as though they have the basest of intentions.

In the drunken logic of the modern bureaucrat the equality of treatment for all far outweighs the quality or fairness of that treatment. All things must be treated on an equal basis regardless of right or wrong. The problem is that when you treat all things equally you must always err on the side of evil over goodness. All things are viewed in their worst light. Of course this allows the bureaucrat of the moment to shirk any duty to fairness and relieves them of any and all responsibility for any and all decisions at any and all levels; i.e. the law is the law and it is out of my hands. Neat, concise, to the point.

Zero-tolerance is the primary example of this wrongheaded thinking. Everything is treated as equally bad and everyone is treated as equally evil. Under the guiding principles of zero-tolerance everything is at its worst. Every knife is a weapon. Every drug is a restricted drug. Every action contrary to the wishes of the authorities is evil.

When a girl picked up her mother’s lunch in error one day in Longmont, Colorado she didn’t realize there was a paring knife in the bag. Upon discovery of same, she brought it to the attention of her teacher, and was immediately expelled from school under zero-tolerance.

When a Providence, Rhode Island teenager used the screwdriver on his Swiss Army knife to tighten the screw on a computer case at school he was immediately suspended under zero-tolerance.

When a Denver, CO student handed out lemon drop candies to a few of his fellow students he was met with a barrage of criticism after the school panicked and called out the police, fire department, and paramedics. He was suspended under zero-tolerance.

When a girl in another city gave a girl at school an aspirin for “ladies cramps” she was immediately suspended under zero-tolerance.

What all of these kids have in common is that they were deemed to be the worst of persons with the worst of intentions; even though they were good kids and their intentions were good. They also share the common thread that it will be long and hard to bring them back to whatever respect they previously had for the system that wronged them..

What is the underlying cause for this anomaly in our nation? What has caused us to become so suspicious, so paranoid, so distrusting? In a word; litigation. Our litigious society has driven us over the brink and into the abyss from which we may never return. We now are so paranoid that if we treat one person in one manner, and another in another, we will be sued for the inequality of our actions. One, or the other, will sue us because of their real or perceived injury at our hands and we will do anything to prevent it; even the destruction of an entire generation of our children and their respect for the laws of the nation.

When we treat everyone as a criminal, a ne’er-do-well, a druggie, a purveyor; we also create hostile, disrespectful, angry human beings that will at some point live up to those expectations. We instill in the young that there is no goodness.

The time has come for the people of this nation to realize that zero-tolerance, and like laws, are destructive to our nation and our system of laws and government. The people of this nation must realize that it is time to do away with these destructive laws and return to the common sense approach to the laws that built this nation. Only through the destruction of these laws can we as a nation return to a system that seeks out and reveres goodness.

Back