Another squib. Just ammo or should I be concerned?

FWIW, I emailed Freedom and they are offering to have me send back the rest, refund, yada, yada. At this point, I'm probably going to give it one more try (in the GP only). Another failure and I will get huffy but if works in the GP, I'll just chalk it up to "stuff happens."

Really don't think I,myself, would load faulty ammunition(already proven) into any of my guns.Just say'in. :D

I'd be switching ammo.

As someone already said - perhaps a very low powder drop or none at all.

I reload and have had one squib - it was MY fault. I got interrupted while reloading - my wife asked me a question and I stopped to answer. I should have pulled the casing from the press and started over - a lesson learned. Long story short, I didn't drop a powder charge so ended up with a cartridge with no powder in it.

I was shooting my Smith Model 36 snub - and fortunately, caught the squib and didn't squeeze another round off. The standard small pistol primer (CCI) produced enough energy to push the 148 gr lead wadcutter into the barrel - stopped about a 1/4 to 3/8 past the forcing cone.

I'm guessing your "subs" didn't have any powder in them?

Not magnums, standard pressure .38 special. Should I still be able to hear the powder? Never would have thought to try that.
It would depend on the level of charge and type of powder. Just a little trick I used to find the would-be squibs in a batch of reloaded .44 mag, many moons ago. I was able to pick out 100% of those, pulled them apart for components, and shot the rest that seemed equal to each other, without incident. The squibs were tiny amounts of powder indicating a faulty powder bar or something like that. They were not mine. On my own, I always had a high intensity light shining on my 3rd station where I could visibly check the level of powder on each round. In a .44 mag AND a .357, and probably most other rimmed, fairly decent-sized handgun rounds, you can hear it. I can't seem to hear most of my auto rounds, though. But, it's always worth a try.

Here's a little trick I learned a while back if you want to try to hear powder shaking in a round. Use a stethoscope - place the round on the flat plate (the horn type doesn't work quite as well) and you should be able to hear the powder much better than just shaking it next to your ear.

Obviously, this only works with non-compressed loads. But, if there is any space at all between the powder column and the bullet you should be able to hear it. Be sure to keep the tubes separated as you shake the round or they will mask the faint sound as they rub together.

However, don't go buy a stethoscope just for this, it isn't worth it.

Back