Another Ruger

On the contrary - it was made to shoot, so actually using it for its intended purpose enhances its value in my opinion.
While not enhancing the value, it certainly doesn't hurt the value to most of us, as long as it is kept in good shape. Good buy. I ran across a used one and it was over $400 at a gunshow but already have one, so passed... I do agree that all guns (yes, all) are made to be shot. Otherwise just make them out of plastic and display 'em ;) . FWIW, on Saturday I put another 80 balls down range with my tuned (From Munden Enterprises) 5 1/2" Fixed Sighted SS OA. It will get it's barrel turned as it shoot a bit to the left. While it is the 'rarest' of the Old Army revolvers (I did buy it unfired with box and papers), I still shoot it and keep it 'clean'.

Anyway, Let us know how it shoots! It's a beauty!

As a side note I tried some RWS #11 caps. Did not like them as I had a couple 'piffs' and they tied up the cylinder way more than the CCI #11s ever do/did.

Oh, I did shoot a NIB 1851 Navy Colt .44 also Saturday, but it shot 4" high at 10Y even with a fine bead :eek: . Needs a taller front post. Until I figure something out with it, it will have to stay home as a display piece.

Last edited:
I have decided to keep it and shoot it. I cut a couple coils off the trigger plunger
Spring so as to lighten up the trigger to where I like it. Put on a trigger shoe,
this acts as a trigger over travel stop. Going to shoot it at the Nationals at
Friendship next June. It appears that I can shoot it. It is heavy, but I load the
cylinder out of the gun, and only put the cylinder pin in, not the whole loading
lever. This saves on some weight. As you get older guns get heaver . Here's from
last Sunday

027f1b81e53dc42a449558670864abc7.jpg

Looks like you have a keeper! Boy that is some 'light' popping going on with just 20g of powder... Shoots good though.

As you get older guns get heaver
Speaking of heavy.... I sure noticed that between my OA and the 1851 ... The 1851 is 'much' lighter than the Ruger. I can see why people liked the open top .44s and .36s back then. To bad the Old Army wasn't built on the medium frame rather than the larger frame. That would have 'helped'! Still I enjoy the Ruger OAs but now I can see where they could have trimmed some weight.

As you get older (71) you can't take the recoil you once could either. Or I should more correct , you can't control it as you once did. As most of you who
have Rugers know the front sight on the 7.5 inch adjustable sight models is too
short. I like a center hold, or other words I like my pistols to hit where the front
sight is, not a 6:00 hold. I took out the blade and cut the notch 1/16 deeper and
cut off 1/16 off the top. Have not shot it yet but this should be enough. Before
I had to hold at 6:00 on the target I posted to hit the "10" ring.

c69d6ceca4b7a49bc7efd677e7c6d3aa.jpg

Last edited:
I've done the same thing on a few of my guns too. I just file the top though. I never made the notch deeper.

I am with on the the six o'clock hold. I too like the front to be centered where I shoot ... not sitting below where I want to hit.

Back