Another Mod 57 Question - help me!

Hope you get the 57.If it was around here I would be all over it. 41 mag. is a good cal.that I hope gets more popular the older it gets.

Don't see near as many 57's as 29's, gunshows or auctionarms. I got a nice one pinned basrrel, conter bored cyls off auction arms for about $380.00. Saw several go for more than that.
Were I in the market for one, that price would tempt me!

Mike Irwin wrote:
Kevin,

Please remember, if you decide not to buy it, I want the information on the shop, please.

You got it Mike. I think I'll probable wander over there in the next day or 2 & make an offer, & see where it goes from there.

lendringser: if you don't mind me asking, who did the work on your M57, & was it converted from a square butt to round?

Nice looking gun by the way. I keep swaying back and forth on this gun, & when I look at your pic it always leaves me reaching for my wallet!

Kevinch,

a local gunsmith named Shannon Jennings did all the work on it. It was round-butted, and he even recreated the grooves on the backstrap. The hammer was bobbed, a new 4" barrel was sent to MagnaPort and then installed, the gun was matte-blued at Parker's, and it received an action job. Last touch was a red ramp front sight and white outline rear sight, and some Hogue hardwood monogrips.

Very nice revolver, Lendsringer!!!

One of those "why did I sell the gun??" stories revolves around a factory-nickelled 4" M57 I once owned and later traded on something else I just had to have. I shoulda kept the M57.

The M57 is an excellent revolver. Unless the gun is in ratty shape, if you want a .41 mag, you can't go wrong with an M57.

Well, I made an offer on Friday. The dealer indicated that possibly Friday afternoon, but definetly before close of business on Saturday he would contact the owner. I left my business card (this store is near where I work) & asked him to give me a call. We'll see if it's accepted.

:eek: Mike Irwin :eek: ... now you know, it would be in very bad taste for you to wish my deal doesn't go thru....

:)

Sorry Mike.......

:(

.....but it looks like this particular Model 57 has found a new home! :D

After taking the day off yesterday in respect of the absolutely beautiful & very uncommon weather (sunny & 60F during late January in Pennsylvania!), I stopped in to see the dealer today.

As expected, my offer of
$250 was refused, but the counter-offer of $275 was where I had put my maximum price before the "turn away" point. I told him I would take it.

Thanks to everyone for all the information!

Just to offer my reasoning in coming up with the price:

1). Book has it at
$255 for 98%, I would call this a strong 95% but it seems the pricing varies all over the place in different areas of the country. Because of what I read & the 4" tube, I figured anything under, say, $235 would be a steal & up to maybe $325 or $350 would be fair. (I found out the asking price began at $350).

2). At least in my area, there aren't too many to be found.

3). I wanted a 4" tube, which this has & from what I have read may be a little harder to find.

Other reasons are less analytical:

4). The Steelers didn't show up for the AFC Championship game, & they didn't even have to travel. DISAPPOINTMENT! (May need to buy a gun to cheer myself up.....)

5). However, we did have the previously mentioned beautiful day yesterday. I worked in the yard all morning & since both motorcycles (mine & my wife's) started up with little difficulty I managed a nice afternoon ride. That dulled my disappointment. (all is OK with the world - why not buy another gun?)

6). Received my bonus check last Thursday, & today received word my raise is in this pay. (But - previously mentioned wife has much of that spent. Maybe I better not buy a gun....)

7). Whoops! Forgot to tell my wife the raise was retro-active...

;)

Back