Another Mod 57 Question - help me!

Kevinch

Ok..help me decide waht to do here!

I have found another Model 57 for sale. It is a 57-1, 4" barrel, very tight action, excellent bore, bluing wear on all the usual spots - end of muzzle, sharp corners of frame near trigger guard, some spots on the front edge of the cylinder, etc.

Adjustable rear sight, RR front. It wears Pac grips.

I know I can buy it for $300, I may be able to get it down to $275 or $280.

Should I buy it? I've always thought a .41 would fill a gap in my collection between .357MAG (6" 686) & .44MAG (7.5" Super Blackhawk). I don't reload, but really don't shoot all that much. I need another gun like, well - you know - but have always had a curious fasination with owning a .41 & I do like those S&W large frame revolvers.

Should I pick this one up?

Yes, you should buy it. The price sounds very good, especially if you can pull it down even more.

.41 mags are loads of fun. You won't regret it.

At the risk of being redundant, here's my Model 57 after a few weeks at the gunsmith and a few hundred bucks:

41mag.jpg

There's something really eclectic about a carry revolver in .41 Magnum. More power and bigger, heavier bullets than .357, while producing less recoil than .44 Magnum...what's not to like?

Get the Model 57...it's a very nice big-bore wheelgun in a very interesting and versatile defense caliber. The price sounds about right at $275-ish.

Book says $255 for a 98 percenter.
Sometimes you can't get em for book.

No barrel pin, no counterbore. Me picky, would offer 225 maby.

Sam

I swear that the "book" takes the average of prices charged by crackheads who are passing guns back and forth in the hood.

Here in Northern Virginia, a dealer with the gun you describe would have at LEAST $450 on it.

If you don't buy it, I want the name and address of the shop, please.

Gee, Mike...

...your prices in No. Va. are whack. ;)

25's and 629's for three or four hundred, but non-P&R 57's for $450?

(Would it kill you to discover that lendringser picked up that P&R 57 as a straight trade for a homely 7" .41 Mag Blackhawk that he was into for maybe $225? ;) )

P&R N Frame Smiths in 98% ===

400 all day in SC and Ga. I think Mikes TOO close to the high rollers who like to throw our TAX DOLLARS around. They've lost their value sytem.best....dewey [ not YOU mike ]

WOW! Seems like there is confusion over what price these things actually bring!

But - I DO appreciate all the feedback so far - thanks friends.

C.R.Sam - can you tell me what source the book of $255 came from?

Also - as I said, this gun is wearing Pachmayer grips. Does anyone know what grips came from the factory?

Thanks again!

Kevinch,

That quote is from Fjestad's Blue Book of Gun Values.

There's two schools of dealer pricing on these guns. One is "demand is lower, so price the gun at a low margin to encourage it to move faster". The other is "demand is lower, so the gun will sit longer, tying up my capital longer, so price the gun a little over the standard margin to make up for it when it finally does sell".

'Round here a blued, non-P&R 57 would likely be priced $250-275, maybe $300 with a 4" tube.

(If those Pachmayrs were factory, they'd probably have a rectangular cutout on the butt to make the serial # visible.)

"Your prices are WHACK."

Gee, you think my living in one of the most expensive regions of the entire country has anything to do with it?

As can be seen, pricing is VERY regionally driven.

As I alluded to above, the "blue book" prices are a weighted average from many different regions, and can only be used as a ballpark estimate.

More than once I had one particular jackass come into the gun store where I worked and complain bitterly about how prices were a lot lower in his hometown of Lower Bunghole.

I never asked him, but I would lay money that Lower Bunghole's entire cost of living was a lot lower.

Why? Because it was in the middle of freaking NOWHERE with absolutely ZERO job base, which is exactly why he was in DC metro in the first place.

Just as a pretty good indication of how prices can vary from region to region, anybody care to play "Let's compare our mortgage payment"?

I'll go first....

3 level townhouse, nothing special, no fireplace, good condition, about 2,500 square feet, 21 years old, about 12 miles from Washington, DC.

Luckily, I bought it for "only" $154,900 in 1993, so my mortgage payment is "only" $1,200 a month.

But, right now? My townhouse recently appraised at $232,000.

For that kind of money I could have a HUGE house on about 5 acres around where I grew up.

But, given the relative nature of the areas, I'd be VERY lucky to find a job that paid even remotely close to what I'm making right now.

:)

Thanks for the information!

I should note - the dealer indicated this particular gun is a consignment sale, so dealer markup shouldn't be a factor - although I suppose he (the dealer) could have made an offer on it & the owner wants more.

I'll need to go over & take another look, maybe make an offer a little lower & see what happens...

Some dealers consign at a fixed amount.

Some consign for a percentage. In this case it behooves the dealer to get as much as possibe....make more that way.

Never hurts to make an offer of what you feel is right.

Sam

Back