Another long range caliber thread...

Sorry I did not mean to offend Savage shooters, please see that my point was only Resale Value to "Bench Rest Shooters". I did not mention F Class, where I do see a lot of these fine rifles. My friends model 12 F Class (Straight bottom stock) will outshoot my Custom Shop 40x in 6mmBR every time.

Bob

Well, since I'm not one of those ones that tends to sell their rifles.. lol

I am looking for a .243 for the g/f. I have about 200 casings from when my daughter had her Vangard. (she traded it on a bow, and I'm not sorry to see that rifle go)

That and since I already have a stock pile of 7mm bullets.... :D

I'm already shooting 300 yards, want to stretch next year. Start towards 600, hopefully get to hit paper at 1000. I'm a work in progress.

Maybe I'll build that 25 Souper for the g/f...

I would go with the 6.5x284, who cares if it's considered a barrel burner. even at 1000 rounds you spend way more on ammo than you'll ever on a new barrel.

besides if you go with the Savage action, installing a new barrel is a job you can do yourself making it even more economical.

6.5x284, 6.5 creedmoor and 6mmXC are the three calibers I always turn to for long range work.

The most accurate cartridges tend to be those with not much body taper and about a 1:2 to 1:3 ratio of powder charge shape/container diameter to length. Measure the case diameter 2/10ths inch in front of the case head and the distance from that point to the case body-shoulder juncture. On the .308 Win. case, they're .470":1.36" giving a 1:3.32 ratio; about the upper limit. But sub caliber cartridges based on the .308 case have shot very accurate. Cartridges with a smaller ratio, such as the PPC cases and 6.5x.284 cases have smaller ones. The 6mm Dasher's ratio is 1:2.13. Greater ratios like the .30-06 case and its sub caliber offspring, have a 1:3.72 ratio and they're not popular in long range accuracy rigs. Shorter, fatter powder charge shapes are easier to more uniformly ignite and burn. The pressure curves they cause produces more uniform peak pressures and muzzle velocities as well as barrel times to bullet exit.

Another thing common to accurate cartridges is shoulder angles being on the larger side as well as shoulder area. The more of both there is for a given cartridge, the less the shoulder sets back from firing pin impact. That makes the primer detonate more uniformly which means so will the powder charge. The 17.5 degree shoulder angle of the .30-06 case let it set back as much as .005" to .007" from firing pin impact. Compared to the .308 Win case 20 degree angle and larger shoulder area by its larger shoulder area limits its shoulder setback to .002" to .003" when the primer detonates. 24 caliber cartridges with 30 and 40 degree shoulder angles and a lot more shoulder area withstand firing pin impact very well and set back only .001" or so; very uniform primer ignition. The 6mm Dasher's 40 degree shoulder angle coupled with its charge ratio is impressive.

Note the link above on the 6mm Dasher's new record is the smallest aggregate ever shot; it kept all shots inside 7 inches but where the 10-shot group centers were relative to the aiming point is unknown. All the other agg's are larger; much larger. That rifle was fired in free recoil untouched by its owner except for a finger on its few-ounce trigger. Neck sizing afficianado's should note full length bushing dies were used on cases with 100 or so reloads with them.

Last edited:
I just bought a Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 creedmoor then spent some time looking at scopes and mounts,went with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50,EGW 20 moa mount with med Leupold steel scope rings and a level and for under 1,600, I now have a nice target rifle plus I can shoot factory ammo, I did buy a die set being I reload. All i will do is shoot paper with this rifle and won't have 3-4 thousand in a rifle and it all has a warranty.

Call someone like Lester Bruno, Jim Borden, George Kelbly, etc.

I have, and they all recommend the 6.5x284 for a long range competition or hunting cartridge (build the rifle for it’s intended purpose).

Here is some good info as well:

6.5x284

I would love to have one but just can’t justify another rifle.

65and6BR.jpg

While the 6.5 will get you out there better than the 6BR- It is not as accurate as the 6BR is. The 6.5 is coming on very strong in the matches I go to, It is still not beating the 6BR for accuracy. Pushing a 6BR to 1000 yards is a cake walk.

For 100 to 300 yards or so the 6PPC is king, after that the 6BR hands down.
I would have to double check,but I believe the 6 is setting new records every year,not the 6.5.

Back