Another J-Frame: Recommendations?

Hello! Short and simple. I'm looking for some recommendations in J-Frame revolvers. This will have the role it's always had with me. Back up pistol.

Has to be .357 Magnum so I can also use .38 Special.

The ones I've had in the past and miss dearly are:

Smith and Wesson 360PD and Model 60 no dash.

Ready, set, go!

My primary carry gun is my S&W 042 in .38 Special.

It's a non-cataloged model made in the early 1990s based on the hammerless Centennial.

If you are going to shoot much, if any 357, I'd go with something steel like the 640 or model 60. If you are going to carry it, a 340 is light as can be.

Hello! Short and simple. I'm looking for some recommendations in J-Frame revolvers. This will have the role it's always had with me. Back up pistol.

Has to be .357 Magnum so I can also use .38 Special.

The ones I've had in the past and miss dearly are:

Smith and Wesson 360PD and Model 60 no dash.

Ready, set, go!

Performance Center® Pro Series® Model 640.

Steel, .357, real sights.

not that I'll ever be able to afford one.

A no dash model 60 is a 38. I am not sure when the model went to 357 but my dash 7was a 38 iirc. A fun little revolver but heavier than an Airweight or Airlite

Back up pistol.
As in, this is to be carried in addition to a larger handgun? For back up, (and I'm not now nor ever have been an LEO), I'd think one of the Airweights as made by S&W. Hammerless makes sense for pocket or ankle carry, and I wouldn't think a .357 would be necessary as most, if not all, of the Smith Airweights are .38 Special but can be used with S&W's sanction, with +P ammunition.

My wife and DIL both have qualified and carried S&W 637's, loaded with +P ammunition. Neither had any trouble getting good groups with the guns, and practice regularly with my handloads that duplicate the recoil of their ~125 gr Remington Golden Sabers. Both women have had no problems with presentation from waist OWB carry holster nor from their purses. The hammer is guarded by the strong hand thumb during the draw movement.

HTH's Rod

I'd also recommend an LCR. Besides being an excellent product that I prefer to the alloy J-frame in most ways, the S&W internal locks rub me the wrong way. It looks like they are offering a few models without one now. If you absolutely wanted a Smith and Wesson, one of those might be a good choice.

Back