Another ammo shortage?

Ammo is as cheap as it's been since pre-Sandy Hook. Idk how long it's going to stay that way, given the political pendulum is swinging back to the other side and there's not a major recession occurring, I'd buy ammo now.

Not now as in this minute, but this year definitely. Plan out what you feel you need and what you want, buy over time, hit the sales, use them coupon codes. Every time I see Brownell's with a sale on CCI Standard Velocity and a free shipping offer, I buy two bricks. Federal has a rebate on centerfire handgun ammo, $2 off a box if you buy five 50 rd boxes. Great, I could use some more of their American Eagle .327 to feed my Henry.

9mm is available, unlike all of 2013... get some now. I've been planning a purchase of Winchester White 115 JHP for a while, I'm just waiting for a sale from somebody. One's gonna come eventually.

Ammo is that one thing you have to buy when it's there because it's not gonna last and it's not reusable like a high capacity magazine. I'm kicking myself over not getting any of those Blazer "Black Packs" from Black Friday last year.

Ammo is as cheap as it's been since pre-Sandy Hook. Idk how long it's going to stay that way, given the political pendulum is swinging back to the other side and there's not a major recession occurring, I'd buy ammo now.

Not now as in this minute, but this year definitely. Plan out what you feel you need and what you want, buy over time, hit the sales, use them coupon codes. Every time I see Brownell's with a sale on CCI Standard Velocity and a free shipping offer, I buy two bricks. Federal has a rebate on centerfire handgun ammo, $2 off a box if you buy five 50 rd boxes. Great, I could use some more of their American Eagle .327 to feed my Henry.

9mm is available, unlike all of 2013... get some now. I've been planning a purchase of Winchester White 115 JHP for a while, I'm just waiting for a sale from somebody. One's gonna come eventually.

Ammo is that one thing you have to buy when it's there because it's not gonna last and it's not reusable like a high capacity magazine. I'm kicking myself over not getting any of those Blazer "Black Packs" from Black Friday last year.
Buying ammo now is definitely the way to go. I made it a habit of buying ammo every pay period for years and had I not done this I would have been up a creek without a paddle during the 8 years O'bama was in office. Luckily I had enough to last through the administration without having to buy at the exorbitant prices the gougers were charging.
Buying every pay period allowed me to maintain my shooting skills on a weekly basis. Now with this new administration the prices will be short lived (my opinion) so I am stocking up for a nuclear winter, call it hoarding if you want but I just call it smart.

Buying ammo now is definitely the way to go. I made it a habit of buying ammo every pay period for years and had I not done this I would have been up a creek without a paddle during the 8 years O'bama was in office. Luckily I had enough to last through the administration without having to buy at the exorbitant prices the gougers were charging.
Buying every pay period allowed me to maintain my shooting skills on a weekly basis. Now with this new administration the prices will be short lived (my opinion) so I am stocking up for a nuclear winter, call it hoarding if you want but I just call it smart.
When it comes to .22, 9mm, 5.56... I don't think that word has a meaning after what we saw for a few years. If all people did was buy ammo after Sandy Hook, yet no new laws came nationally, then all they'll do in the future when such laws become reality is the same thing.

We can't make our own rimfire ammo, so no reason not to own less than 10k rounds other than financial inability.

Centerfire is different, we can reload our own. A time consuming, yet rewarding process. I say even if you don't reload that often, I do it about 6 times a year, at least have the equipment to do it in the event you have no other choice.

I reload all my centerfire stuff and collect 5 gal buckets of brass for ever caliber I own, what I do buy in abundance is the rimfire ammo as this is the ammo that I use to practice my off hand shooting at 200 yards for deer season as well as my weekly weak hand shooting practice. Luckily I had stored enough to help out some shooting clubs and my friends kids and any father that had taken the child to shoot for the first time. All this at no cost to anyone but me.

Is anyone seeing any evidence of another ammo shortage?

For me it's just the opposite. I've seen more ammo availability lately than any time in the past 5 years. One caveat, I do all my ammo purchasing on line, so I really haven't checked the LGSs in a while.

Same here, no issues getting ammo from local sources. Just wish prices were what they use to be before the last shortage.
Wasn't into guns at last shortage but I just got 500 rounds of 9mm and.380(250 each) for $107 shipped..$.21 per round.

White Birch Armory

Local stores here are well stocked with ammo.

There has not been an commercial ammunition shortage in the US since WWII. There have been a couple ammunition buying panics brought on by rumors of presidents "gonna take our guns". i still have a couple types of centerfire primers hoarded during the Bill Clinton panic.

I still buy ammo like a panic could happen any time. Due to poor timing I got interested in guns and shooting around Sandy Hook (year after I turned 18) and I had just gotten my first 22 and it wasn't fun having a total of 100 rounds of 22lr to my name. Now I am constantly buying ammo, even if its just in small amounts so that I can be constantly growing my stores. If you've ever read The Road by Cormac McCarthy, you'll understand the fear of running out of ammo.

Local stores here are well stocked with ammo.

There has not been an commercial ammunition shortage in the US since WWII. There have been a couple ammunition buying panics brought on by rumors of presidents "gonna take our guns". i still have a couple types of centerfire primers hoarded during the Bill Clinton panic.
Primers are great to have, but I see no indications that reloading supplies are under threat of being regulated, it's not even a talking point for the Anti's and how can it be? Not one mass shooting has even been perpetrated using ammo reloaded by the shooter.

I can't speak to how reloading supplies were during the post Sandy Hook panic events, but I don't think it was near as bad as getting .22 was. I have no problem with someone buying 5000 primers during a sale with free hazmat shipping included as it's a good way to save a few bucks.

There was no threat of .22 being regulated either, but look what happened there. The same thing happened with reloading supplies.

I'm with Truthtellers on this one. Supplies and prices are looking pretty great right now (locally and online), but the political pendulum is swinging back and swinging back fast.

At the very least, it would be a good idea to have a few thousand rounds of rimfire and a few thousand rounds of your favorite semiautomatic calibers on hand. And not even necessarily out of paranoia, as there have been some crazy sales on 9mm lately.

There will be another shortage and it could be worse than the last ones. But we've all learned our lesson by now, right? I think ammo and components will remain in plentiful supply for the next year or so, perhaps until the next election cycle. The prices have gone down and although they may fall a little further, I wouldn't count on it. If you need anything, not just ammo, get it while you can. Even well fed Squirrels know to stash nuts for the future. How're your first aid supplies looking? Got a supply of spare batteries for your head-lamp? Ready for the electricity to go out for a week? The list goes on....

I'll be prepared better this time. Just picked up 5000 rounds of cci standard Vel. Have over 10k .22s now. Hope to have close to 50k by the time the next election takes place. Also have more powder, bullets and primers on hand. Hope it doesn't happen but if it does i'll be ready!

Back