Another ammo shortage?

AL45

Is anyone seeing any evidence of another ammo shortage? I was ordering ammo for the hardware store I work at and was seeing more zero quantities than normal. And they showed no powder at all. Just curious.

Absolutely not. Based on the pricing, there should be quite a surplus right now. Ammo got VERY tight after Sandy Hook and prices went through the roof. I recall seeing 9mm on Gun Broker for $50 a box of 50 for regular Winchester White Box. Even the lowly .22 LR was going for around $10 a box of 50. I was seriously tempted to sell some off and would have made a very tidy profit.

Manufacturers kicked production into overdrive to meet demand and I think people have finally stopped hoarding ammo. Unless I see a great deal, I just pass on ammo deals. I shoot 500-1000 rounds a month so it isn't like I'm not using my ammo.

Let's just say that I am ready in case there is another run on ammo to turn a tidy profit.

For the calibers I buy (.22 to .50 BMG), I'm not seeing any shortages, and certainly nothing like the Obama-era issues.

Some of the ammo, is at near record low prices.

It wouldn't surprise me though that some of the less efficient ammo mfg's are going out of business as they can't compete with thinner margins.

Just last weekend I was looking at a large shelf unit full of umpteen types of 22LR and thinking "Boy, what would we have given for this supply of 22 ammo 3 years ago!"

I see a lot of ammo in the stores. I buy all of mine on-line and have gotten some really good prices. .22s for only $.03 a round for Blazer. That's my go to practice ammo. At Christmas time I was able to pick up Eley for a great price and bought a case.

Even .38s are coming down in price.

I recently placed an order for powder and primers. There was no issue. I reload for most everything I shoot.

I don't have any idea of store availability of ammunition. I also don't have to pay tax on the ammunition I make/shoot.

I've noticed when the price of .223/5.56 is advertised at less than $6 per box of 20 rounds unless I get there the first day of the sale they are sold out. But there is plenty of it at higher prices and plenty of .22LR if you're willing to pay for it and plenty of $10 per box of 50 rounds 9mm if you look around a little. So no 'real' ammo shortage, just, IMhO, savy shoppers.

My local stores had more ammo this week than I have ever seen there. Prices seem reasonable in stores and even low online. Good time to buy ammo.

Ammos are plentiful, as are most reloading components (except IMR/H4350...) The only thing I have seen is primers; there are enough primers out there, but there are some specific primers that have dried up.

Actually here in Northeast... seems quite the opposite. Prices seem to get better every email I get from many suppliers.

Back