Another 454 owner bites off more than he can chew

IIRC couple different types of 45-70 revolvers have been made. And at least one 50-70 revolver.

I know at least one person, a serious shooter, who uses a TC Encore pistol in 270 for deer hunting. Because of the laws here in MN you can't use rifle in much of the state but can use "pistols" like the Encore in any of the shotgun zones. He also has a 454 barrel but has had a lot of trouble with the recoil in the Encore with the 454 breaking scopes and stocks.

re: Another 454 owner

Let's not get into another "who needs this" mentality- especially on this board. Some people (like myself) just enjoy buying and shooting big bore handguns. Personally, I like having some serious power in a package that can fit in a pocket or holster without anyone else knowing. I own a Raging Bull and 50 AE Desert Eagle and may be in line to get a 480 Ruger if they ever come out around here. I don't shoot them frequently and probably a box of shells at most, but do enjoy doing so. I find it very therapeutic sometimes to make big holes in small targets.

GI Joe has the right answer......

"Let those who blow big holes in things decide"

I decided the 45 Redhawk is perfect.

Speaking of twisting wrists...

I had a good (profitable) travel voucher come back from a longish deployment, and was thinking quite seriously about that Magnum Research BFR in .45-70, since I already have a Wichita pistol in 7mm Rimmed International (predecessor to the 7-30 Waters) and handload .45-70 for my Rolling Block Creedmoor and Siamese Mauser. Anybody here own one, shoot one, etc, and if so, how has it held up?

If you own a 454 and you handload, there is absolutely no reason to buy a 480. Unless you just like spending money.

I have never really understood the phenomenon of buying the biggest hand cannon that you can get. I know that the people who shell out 2500 bucks for a Linebaugh have a work of art and craftsmanship but what good is it if it is too painful to shoot?
I would like to run into some of these deals that you guys talk about for used guns. I am looking for a 44 mag to deer hunt with and that is as big as I would ever want to go.

Nala

Hand cannons don't have to be painful...

Depending on the design, caliber, barrel length, and other factors, you can run some truly powerful calibers through a handgun without breaking bones or spraining things. Elgin Gates built a .458 Win Magnum XP-100 that was actually manageable, barely, due to the porting of the barrel. The gun was a bit much for the steel silhouette targets, however. The gun worked well, as it was designed for a stout cartridge. Same goes for the Casulls in .454, as well as the big Rugers and Magnum Research BFR, they utilize the Colt SAA grip shape, allowing the gun to roll back in the hand during full recoil, woe betide you and your forehead if you have a death grip on the thing.

The bolt action XP-100, as well as the Weatherby and Savage bolt-action pistols, can generate some serious foot-pounds of muzzle energy with their rifle-caliber chamberings.

Then there's the Thompson Contender and Encore, and all their chamberings. I fired a 10" .45-70 Contender, and walked away without harm, hence my desire for the .45-70 BFR.

Now, if you like the 1911 Government Model, there was the Pachmayr Dominator (anybody got one for sale?), which was a bolt-action upper chambered in .223, as well as 7mm-08 and .308. Springfield, Inc. made their SASS conversion for the 1911 frame, again in rifle calibers. My favorite 1911 variant is the Wichita Silhouette. This one is right at the edge of comfort and manageability for me, it's chambered in 7mm Rimmed International, which was a predecessor to the 7-30 Waters. I load a 139gr Hornady spire point at just over 2000 fps out of the 10" barrel. The 200 meter steel rams drop with some loud authority.

View

(That Wichita looks like one nice hand-cannon BTW...)

I've shot a couple of .44 Magnum revolvers before and I suppose I could adjust to the recoil, but I prefer such power in a lever action carbine. Not just because of the recoil, but because of the bulk of the big-framed pistols the cartridge requires.
I'm sure I'd be more interested in the .454 Casull, if this cartridge were also one day available in a carbine, for the same reasons.

Thats Nothing

Saw a 416 Remington Mag ruger #1 for sale for about $500 cheaper then it would normally be. thing looked BRAND New. It came with a box of 18 shells..... go figure eh ;)

Are there factory 45 LC loads that are nearly the same as .454 Casull factory ammo? I don't shoot enough to get into reloading of this size ammo.

Why yes there are......

......but even fairly hot 45 Colt ammo is a pretty good "kill damn near anything around here" load.

Back