Another 454 owner bites off more than he can chew

rock_jock

I saw this posted in a local classifieds website:

"Taurus Raging Bull 454 Casull Revolver. Excellent shape. Blued with a 6 1/2" barrell. Has had about two boxes of shells shot through it. Includes two boxes of shells $525."

I'm glad I had the opportunity to fire a few rounds of a 454 so I could say definitively that I don't ever want one of these.

LOL! Another opportunity for a recoil-tolerant handgun hunter. We haven't had a "best handgun for Grizzly" thread in a while...

Can you shoot 45 Colt through 454 Casull revolvers? If so I would think they'd be a good choice for a backpacking gun.

You can shoot the .45 colt in a .454. I would not do it in a Freedom Arms gun due to the tight tolerences. You can have an extra cylinder made to fire the .45 colt. It should be fine in the Ruger and the Taurus as they are rather loose. I really like my Freedom Arms .454s as there is nothing else on the market that comes close in quality.

I think the same thing happened when the 44 mag came out. Bunches of people rushed out to buy the newest and biggest thing and then discovered that shooting one was not exactly fun. Those of you out there who have been on the shooting scene for a while can probably remember that it was easier to find "slightly used" 44 mags than brand new ones. Honestly, most of the people I see at the range who shoot 44 mags do not shoot them particularly well. Even by today's standards, that is one alligator of a cartridge. And of course the 454 kicks MUCH harder than that. Couple that with the fact that there isn't really a need for the 454, unless you live in grizzly country, I suspect we will soon see a flood of "slightly used" 454s in pawnshops and gunshops. I could be wrong. I don't see the 480 Ruger going anywhere either.

454 is nice but I like my .357 thank you. I don't understand why some folks buy such a heavy caliber. I think it is true that folks like the newest toy on the block.
My favorite story is the one where the guy fires the 454 and the guns' recoil brings it up and knocks him for a loop! I believe it was rapidly sold off! Go figure!

I like my .44 Remington Magnum.

It is a good recoil/power compromise.

Any more power needed and it is rifle or shotgun territory.

Well if anyone sees any used 475 Linebaugh or Bowen Ruger Bisley's let me know :D

I think way too many people [most people?] buy items without doing any research.

I personally think the 44 mag is a much better cartridge than the 357 but have been surprised at the number of people that don't realize you can shoot 44 specials in a 44 mag. Course they have usually never heard of Elmer Keith.

I think the 480 Ruger cartridge will do well, since it is basically a 475 special. And will make duplicating the performance [bullet weight & speed but not bore] of cartridges like the 577 Bland a bit easier. I don't see many serious shooters being interested in a 480 Revolver.

I shoot 44 Specials in my 44 SRH w/ 9.5" barrel for large-bore silhouette matches. They are positively mild in this heavy of a gun. The hardest part to shooting a gun this big is holding it steady. In any case, that classifieds made me LMAO. I was tempted to call the owner and ask why he was selling, as if I didn't know. (BTW, I especially like the part about "includes two boxes of shells". The guy probably wasn't even able to make it through his first session.

I have a .454 and it's a hunting gun. I can't afford to go to the range with 200 rounds and fire off nor do I want to. When I see a pig, a pig gets shot. And yes I have some hot .45LC that I use at times when I really want need/want the power of the .454. From what I have heard about the .480 is that is has a much lower recoil and will still drop a hog in its tracks. I am still looking for a .41 and .44. And if i ever see a good deal on a .475 or .480 and I have money I might pick one up.

I've seen similar adds for both .44 RemMag and .454 revolvers that read something along the line of:

For sale. Ruger/S&W/FA/some custom 'smith .44 RemMag/.454 Casull revolver. Only fired once (or sometimes twice) 48 rounds of ammunition to accompany gun. Call BR-549 and ask for Bubba.

Personally, I consider a heavily loaded .44 RemMag or .45 LC to be about the limit of what I can shoot with pleasure. I'll never have a .475, thanks to Jim Taylor's hunting loads, but I might consider a .454, though I doubt if it will see lots of heavy loads.

Doc Hudson

Suggest a 5.5" 45 Colt Redhawk as the correct purchase, and adding Pachmayr Decelerators.

This gun has at least a chance of being owned and satisfying its owner.

It really will give all required performance.

A Ruger SRH .44 Magnum like I have is enough horse kick for me, thank you. For target shooting, I usually shoot .44 Specials in it. I only shoot .44 Magnum in it to ensure that I can hit what I shoot at later on.

WESHOOT2: Do you mean to imply that a 454 or 475 would be difficult to purchase price wise for most people? From Bowen coverting a Ruger to 475 runs around $2k which is less than most people spend on their cars or what many spend on TV's, audio equipment, or computers. Course I am a gun nut and most of my disposable income goes to guns [or related gear] or to increasing my personal library [the other hobby].

Does anyone need a 475, or 454 for that matter, I doubt it. I think properly loaded 44 mag's & 45 LC's can handle any needed performance from a revolver. I still want a 475 for myself...I doubt I will ever point it at a worthy target though.

As to the ads, I have seen beginning shooters on the range with a 357 mag trying to learn how to shoot without any instruction or any real knowledge of shooting [not even knowing how to align sights for instance] shooting 357 mag ammo because they didn't know any other choices existed.

Remember, this thread is about another Raging Bull for sale...

Beyond price........because I assume (as you've stated) that money is NOT the issue, is the simple fact that North American animals DO NOT require any more gun than a correctly loaded 45 Colt DW, Ruger, or Colt Anaconda.

These guns will satisfy their owners better than a gun which they can't really handle.
Like the "Ribber" grips, though.

Ditto to the above. I have bought several slightly used Colt 45 Automatics with the original box of shells, minus a few also.

I'm sorry, but I think the 454 is pure marketing. I swear, if they came out with some "500 Super Magnum" revolver weighing 6 lbs and pushing a 600 gr. bullet at 2000 fps, you would have people lining up to buy it, just waiting to have their wristies shattered.

Back