Another .223 post

I had different rifles in the past CF & RF . Now I have two rifles Rem. 700 308 cal. & a CZ 452 Varmint in 22lr. That 22 CZ is the most accurate 22 I ever owned or shot . Can't go wrong with a CZ in what ever caliber you chose. You get what you pay for , sure you can get a shooter for a cheaper price but luck has to be on your side. If I didn't enjoy shooting my 308 so much I would go 223 or 6.5 CM in a CZ for sure.

Chris

I don't know anything about the Tikkas, but I do have 3 CZ 527's. A 2002 Varmint, a 2004 American, and 2016 Carbine in x39. The CZ's are fine rifles, and to some degree I agree with one of the above posts about shooting the daylights and sometimes getting rough with a quite often used rifle. But I did mention that the CZ is a fine rifle. But the finish on the CZ's, the built in quality, mini-mauser type action, the single set trigger, the accuracy... to me, that's all the stuff that makes me take a little EXTRA care of these rifles. I'll be lucky to spend another 20-25 years shooting in this world if I'm lucky, but the CZ's will definitely be the ones my kids and grandkids fight over when my race is run.

For the .223's, I haven't shot anything but reloads and PPU and bullet weights from 50gr to 60gr. For that, the 1:12 twists do great. And didn't the newer Varmint models come out with 1:9 twists? Seems I read that somewhere.

I can appreciate you're taking your time and studying before making a selection. That's a good thing to do in today's times. Lots of luck with your choice and happy shooting.

Yes, i am taking my time. There is much i like about the cz527 but the Tikka has a sub MOA guarantee. The indecision is driving me nuts.

the Tx3 supervarmint is over my budget, however, I can get the CZ 527 varmint in .223 for $700 otd. Is it a comparable gun or should I save for the Tikka?

I think the big difference in price is between stainless and blued, synthetic and wood. I looked at the features on the Tikka. The warning flags go up when I see things like re-designed ejection port. To me that says they screwed it up the first time and had to fix it. So what else did they screw up?

If the CZ has the single set trigger that would be enough for me to go for the CZ. It's an excellent feature. I've not heard anyone report their CZ is not accurate. The two that I have owned were both tack drivers.

+1 on the single set trigger of the CZ. On prairie dog towns, it really earns its keep on small scurrying targets out past 400 yds.

New CZ-527 Varmint in .223rem with a 1:9" twist 25" heavy barrel.

DSCN0194.jpg

With a Vortex Viper 4-16x44 and a Harris bipod.

DSCN0196.jpg

Finished developing a really decent load using 26.6gr of BLC-2 with Lapua brass and CCI BR4 primers. The 69gr SMK and this combination yields 3012fps average with an S.D. of 9.2. Even seating the bullets long (.010" jump), I can easily mag feed. Giving five round capacity.

This rifle likes this set-up as I am getting a half MOA at 100 yards. And the set trigger is phenomenal.

I am looking forward to some Richardson's erradiaction and some coyote hunting in the fall.

Last edited:
If I was going to buy another 223, it would be a Tikka T3 or T3X. Great trigger, great barrel, and I like the synthetic stock. As for somebody’s comment on the redesigned ejection port, and how the original version must have been messed up, that’s baloney. My T3 has the small ejection port, which they enlarged in the T3X. The small ejection port certainly isn’t a problem for me, and some have suggested that the smaller port on the T3 gives the original design more rigidity. Either model will be very accurate, and the action is amazingly smooth.

I do have one minor complaint about the T3. When scoped, I can’t fit my thumb between the scope and action when I carry it. I wonder if the T3X is better.

Summary: I love the rifle.

If only the CZs could be had in a top-loading traditional magazine format. I'd already own one, those are SWEET rifles.

But having to take out the magazine, fill it up with rounds, then reinsert the magazine seems like a great waste of time. They also (the magazines) are not cheap and only come in 5-round capacities so buying multiples for range or field use is impractical at best.

Been wanting a 5.56x45mm/.223 Remington bolt-action gun just for fun for a long time now. Cheap ammo, low recoil, awesome! My uncle had a .222 Remington bolt action that was the first centerfire rifle I remember shooting. I loved the mild recoil and the tremendous accuracy I could wring from it!!

Back