Another .223 post

chemcal

looking strongly at buying a cz 527 Varmint in this caliber. Are there any factors I should know that would undermine this choice?

I haven't ever handled that specific CZ model, but every CZ I have ever shot has been very nice. If you're happy with the price, I'd say go to it and don't look back. I hope to get a 557 in 6.5x55 someday soon!

There are so many options for an accurate .223 at a reasonable cost.
Just my opinion, a .223 bolt action is akin to the 22lr of the "old days". It gets used, shot, maybe a little banged up, and used some more because it's easy and cheap to shoot.

Are there any factors I should know that would undermine this choice?

I would not go so far as to say that this should "undermine" your purchase but CZ scope mounts are proprietary, pricey, and (in my experience) not included with the rifle.

That may be an issue to some, but as long as an individual knows that going in I wouldn't think it would be a "deal" breaker.

I have one in 7.62x39 and it shoots wonderfully. The trigger on the 527 is awesome.

It's a great option. If the intended use is just for bench rest shooting I may look at something with a heavier/longer barrel but that's just my preference.

"Agreed; so, are you saying to consider other bolt guns?"

I'm saying buying an expensive .223 may limit the ".223 experience". Personally, I'm more likely to use/shoot a cheap but accurate rifle more than an accurate but more expensive rifle. My hunting rifles are re-worked Savage 110's and run of the mill AR 15's.

My T/C Compass .223 is more than I expected.
I fired the first four rounds at 50 yards, and while the group was just barely on the 8 1/2 x 11 target, it measured .552".
After adjusting the no name scope that came in the deal from Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore, the second group measured .306", third group .356, and the fourth group was in the 10 ring and measured .382".
I was not using premium ammo.
I used my first ever hand loaded .223 Remington consisting of:
Once fired Lake City 5.56 cases.
Bulk Hornady 55 gr soft point bullets
H4895 powder
CCI 400 primers

Not bad for the first outing with the Compass.
schotzfyred is online now Report Post

For me, part of a firearm is its aesthetics(certainly not necessary but has a psychological effect). I don't work alot on my guns, so I try to buy close to what I want(so, I've traded many guns). If not the CZ, maybe a tikka. Please help with info on these.

You can't go wrong with a CZ, any model, from their handguns to shotguns. High quality at a modest price.
Their rimfire line is awesome.

I have 3 CZ 527's. 1 of which is the Varmint 223 Rem. I love the rifle. Shoots great, looks great, has a fantastic trigger.

About the sights, from what I understand some of the rifles with open sights don't ship with CZ rings but all of the scope only models are suppose to ship with them so the Varmint should. Mine did.

I have the CZ527 Varmint in .223 - This is a wonderful little rifle.
I used the 16mm Warne Maxima Permanent rings with a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40 scope.
All the recent CZ's have the 1:9 barrel twist - I'm using Black Hills Ammunition .223 with their 69gn bullets. Very consistent & accurate stuff.
I can't say enough good things about CZ rifles, I have the 527 Varmint, a 452 Varmint in .17HMR, & 452 Special in .22lr. I sure wish CZ hadn't discontinued their 550 series as their CZ550 Varmint, in .22-250, would have been my next varmint rifle.

If your able & willing to shop around and visit as many CZ dealers as you can you'll be amazed at some of the stunning wood that comes on CZ rifles occasionally.

Not too much banter about what you will feed it. Check the barrel twist, should be 1:12 for a Varminter. This is optimized for light weight bullets but not so good for heavier bullets. I recommend a 40 grain bullet if you reload. Plenty of power in the 223 for "red mist" on small bothersome critters with the frangible bullets like Nosler or Sierra Ballistic (plastic) Tips. Fun to watch through the scope too.

My 223 bolt gun is a Kimber Longmaster Classic with a 1:9 twist barrel. Works great with 40 grain bullets and bullets 63 grains and heavier. Looks like a shotgun pattern with mid weight bullets.

Can't go wrong with the CZ.

I have the T3 Lite. It'll shoot 1/4 moa at 100 yards with great ammo. No experience with the T3X or the CZ. But I do have a 455 and just love it.

Wouldn't hesitate to buy another Tikka if I came across a good deal. Mags are ridiculously expensive though.

Back