Annealing

Forgive me for asking but... Isn't quenching is part of the annealing process. Why would tipping hot cases over in water not do that? Also why would standing the case up 3/4 of the way up in cold water not keep the case head from getting hot enough to anneal?

Way back when some motorcycles had solid copper head gaskets and part of the process of putting the engine back together was annealing the gasket. Heat it to a slight glow then drop it in water. I've done more of them than I can recall...

Tony

Fair enough.

The one poster talks about tipping over which is a common myth that does nothing and is not needed.

Disagree, the brass cools much quicker and you don't burn your hand if take it out of the water a minute or so later.

Isn't quenching is part of the annealing process.

Only needed with ferrous metals With copper brass etc it does not matter either way

Brit bike mechanic ? :) good old days and needing standard, metric and wentworths in the toolbox lol

Yes, Brit bikes but also 2 stroke Japanese bikes like the RD350. The fist time I had to anneal copper it was a BSA A65 cylinder head. Now the only BSA I have is a rifle that also needs help...

I don't call myself Geezerbiker for no reason... :)

Tony

Drill
Socket
450 Tempilaq ¼” below shoulder of bottleneck
- OR -
750 Tempilaq inside neck (especially/always if straightwall)
No water

Case is never overheated/Heat never has sufficient time to travel to head using Tempilaq-measured stop point.

postscriptum: Brass doesn't "quench." Water cooling has no effect other than to require drying out.
Heating brass to red glow has same effect as revealing new gun as surprise to wife.
You're both likely toast at that point.
You might recover in time.
Cartridge Brass won't...
:mad:

Last edited:
Did it by hand for years. Bought an Annealeze a few years ago. It was a good investment and time saver for me.

Back