Annealing Gas Checks

There you go again dahermit. You and those others are welcome to do as you like. But use of the word {annealing} as a descriptive concerning the over heating of gas checks is again misleading and incorrect. As far as "questionable ? " Those who have some concern about the practice. Have a source. (Hornady) to rely on for a correct answer to a "questionable" activity with one of Hornady's products. {questionable as in>asking a Hornady associate whether the practice of over heating their gas checks is appropriate or not to do. I'm relatively sure that associate of Hornady will indeed offer his or hers unbiased opinion concerning the activity.}

So dahermit. I've attempted to add some clarity to your comments that indeed were at times confusing misleading or perhaps unnecessary. I hope you enjoy my commenting as much as I've enjoyed reading yours.

Re: The questionable act of over-heating gas checks, use of the word {annealing} as a descriptive concerning the over heating of gas checks is again misleading and incorrect.

The act of work-hardening Copper and (Brass) is an unavoidable effect of bending and stressing the metal. Copper is a face-centered crystal, the act of bending/stressing, breaks that crystal resulting in resistance to further bending. When heated to about 700 degrees, the crystals are released by the heat to reform into the face-center (soft) crystal. If the copper is heated past its lower annealing point, no additional softening is achieved. The only caution is that the melting point of Copper should be reached and the Copper melts. Therefore, if one does not heat the copper gas checks to their melting point, there is no problem. Now, anyone who thinks that I am making this up (what I learned studying metals in college), feel free to look up what I just posted on the internet...Just search on "Copper", "Work-hardening" and "Annealing".

....Again I'm not quite sure what the meaning of this comment is...
Of course not.

And again, this disagreement can easily be settled if you just:
please cite (as in Internet address), the instance were it caused a problem.

...If the manufactures thought it was OK to do. Don't you think the Checks would come that way from the manufacture to begin with? Or at the very least print it's Acceptance on the side or a note found in the box itself.

Uhhhh. Fallacy of "Affirming the Consequent"? Gosh, we could us some book-larn'nen here couldn't we. Do a search on, "Fallacies of Logic", Affirming the Consequent.

Back