Ankle holster carry and question.

It seems to me, at least with the pants that I wear and yes they are the correct length, that when you sit down then your gun is exposed. So if you are sitting somewhere and you are not in your car or behind a desk your ankle rig is visible to all and everyone. I just measured and the bottom of my pants are 5-6 inches above my shoe so I just don't see how ankle carry could work for me unless I didn't plan on sitting in public.

This won't apply to a lot of folks but I'll put my 2 cents worth in for what it's worth. :D

I know several who use/used ankle holsters and they liked them but then everybody is different as well as the circumstances for carrying that way.

I'm 61 and have been a diabetic for 47 years. As a result, I have neuropathy in my feet an lower legs (nerve damage which prevents a person from feeling sensations for want of a better description - i.e. I have to be very careful about blisters, injury, etc.). I think if a person is diabetic or has any circulatory problems, they should consider those things before choosing an ankle holster. I'm not that familiar with the varieties out there but if there is a constricting band, etc. holding it in place - over long periods of wearing it, it could cause you problems.

Some of you have mentioned driving - well, we're mostly men here and all of us have been guilty of driving long distances with very few breaks to get out and walk around. If you are that type of driver - and have the above problems - that could also add to a problem if you have an ankle holster on that is tight enough to restrict circulation. No different that some folks are prone to blood clots in their legs if they don't take a break and walk around during long drives.

I'm not trying to be an "alarmist" at all . . . but if you have diabetes with neuropthy in your legs or feet or circulatory problems . . . you might want to discuss it with your doctor first and see what they have to say about it if the holster design is so that there is a tighter band on you leg when wearing it.

Billy, I don't see that as being alarmist, but a wise warning about ankle carry. You are literally wrapping a strap around your ankle and, if done tightly enough, can restrict circulation to the point of discomfort in a healthy person or serious complication to those with circulatory issues. Thanks for that reminder.

To each their own...

TailGator said:
"My favorite driving holster is a fanny pack. The pistol is laying right in your lap with very fast easy access. No, they aren't stylish, but I don't much care what people at gas stations and rest stops think of my sartorial decisions, and it is easy to move the pistol back to another holster (IWB for me) when I get somewhere that appearance matters."
+1

@AutoS,

Just some observations for your consideration. Here are some of the things I considered --

In 1986 during the Miami Shootout with Platt & Matix, one of the FBI agents had removed his revolver from its holster and placed it on the seat beside him. When his vehicle came to a sudden stop ramming into the adversaries' vehicle, that firearm slid off the seat and was flung up under the dashboard, far enough that it could not be retrieved during the firefight that followed. I don't want my firearm slid in between the seats, in the center console, in a steering column clip, or otherwise not immediately on my person for much the same reason: just in case hostilities commence with some sort of vehicular collision. Just a personal choice.

(I also don't want to leave it in the car during gas stops...)

If I need it while driving, trying to draw suddenly from an ankle holster while avoiding a collision or some other form of evasive maneuvering resulting from a 'road rage'-type encounter is sub-optimal.

If I need it while out of the car, as noted above, kneeling down, hopping on one foot, etc. are also sub-optimal (IMHO).

Upon reflection, I couldn't think of a single scenario either inside the vehicle while in motion or outside the vehicle where an ankle hoster was clearly the optimal solution.

For an option that works well under nearly any set of circumstances *while traveling on extended road trips*, I found a fanny pack to be both "gas-stop friendly" as well as tactically sound in various circumstances.

Your mileage may vary...

Ive used a number of ankle holsters over the years, and have settled on the Desantis 044 Leather Ankle Rig. Its one of the few I can wear all day in comfort.

Ive used them with my 642's and Glock 26's, both with and without the garter attachment.

I normally wear 6-8" work/hiking boots, and I find they are the most comfortable and stable way to go with an ankle holster. The holster is either locked around the boot itself (8"), or the bottom of the holster sits on top of the boot (6"), which gives it support. When I wear dress type shoes, I use the garter strap, as the holsters tend to want to ride down over time.

As far as the length of your pants, thats just something you need to be aware of and can be addressed in what you do with your legs when you sit. Its more of a problem with the holster sitting low, like with dress shoes. When I sit, if I cross my legs, I usually put the leg without the holster over the one with it, and the problem is solved.

Drawing the gun is just a matter of practice and awareness. The gun I carry in my ankle holster is a BUG, so its not really as much of an issue, but you do still need to practice with them until they are natural.

I pratice three ways mostly. Sitting, like in the car, dropping to one knee, and standing. All pretty much require two hands to get the pant leg up, and that method is the most reliable and usually the quickest across all my pants.

When standing or kneeling, I also find bringing my knee up as I grab my pant leg and then pushing my leg down a little, usually pops the gun out quicker and smoother.

They really arent as hard to access as some will tell you, and you can get the gun into play pretty quick if you practice. Its not something you want to do if someone is on top of you though.

Back