Ankle holster carry and question.

Auto5

I've never given much thought to ankle holsters. They always reminded me of 1970s TV undercover detectives with bad perms, long mustaches hiding a backup snub under their polyester bell bottoms. My preferred carry mode (IWB at 4 o'clock) doesn't work well for long car trips. The seat belt effectively blocks easy access to the pistol. I like to shed my jacket in the climate controlled interior of the car, so a shoulder holster isn't much use either. I noticed that I tend to drive with my left leg bent and my knee leaning against the door, making it almost perfect for an ankle holster.

The simplest type seems to have an elastic or neoprene band around the leg. Others have a garter type support strap. I'm leaning toward the simple type, given the limited purpose. I won't be walking around much except for gas or rest stops. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to either type? Any recommendations or suggestions?

Sorry, an ankle holster just doesn't work with me. Too hard to get to inside my boot.

Best bet would be a steering column clip.

Bob Wright

I've used a DeSantis Apache ankle rig for years. Great for driving. No calf strap, just an elastic band/pocket with retention strap. Also nice draw option for under a table.

It stays in place with my S&W 638 no problem.

My favorite driving holster is a fanny pack. The pistol is laying right in your lap with very fast easy access. No, they aren't stylish, but I don't much care what people at gas stations and rest stops think of my sartorial decisions, and it is easy to move the pistol back to another holster (IWB for me) when I get somewhere that appearance matters.

When I looked at ankle holsters, I did it in stages (Ruger LCR .357 is the pistol in question):

First, I purchased a cheap ankle holster ($20, think it was a Bagmaster), put my pistol unloaded into it, and just wore it about the house for a couple days. This wasn't so much about fit than whether I could tolerate the weight on my leg. You might do the same thing with some sort of fitness ankle weight. It would really suck to spend bucks on an ankle holster and find you couldn't tolerate it.

Once I decided the weight wasn't a problem, I started looking at ankle holsters in detail. I was looking for an ankle holster that would be a regular option, not just for when no other method would work. I went with a Galco Ankle Glove, with the optional garter attachment. It worked OK, but the garter wasn't as effective as I would have liked - the holster still sagged a bit, and I had some discomfort from the garter itself. The holster is OK, but made my gun wearing decision "hmm, pocket, IWB, or put up with the ankle holster". Fine for "no other choice" circumstances, but not as a regular option.

I then decided to bite the bullet and get a Kramer Ankle Holster. It is an absolutely fantastic holster; it stays in place, gives no discomfort, and is very secure; it doesn't suffer at all from the lack of a garter. Now my gun wearing decision is "hmm, pocket, IWB, or ankle".

From my experience:
  1. Make sure you can tolerate the weight of a gun at the ankle position first.
  2. Fit on an ankle holster is more critical than other holster styles; either do it right or don't do it.
    • Decide whether ankle carry is only for when no other method is suitable, or as a regular option.
  3. Accept the fact you may end up with more than one ankle holster before you find one best for you.

Sorry, an ankle holster just doesn't work with me. Too hard to get to inside my boot.

Best bet would be a steering column clip.

Bob Wright

Good point about the boot. I was thinking the same thing the other day about driving and access to my gun. I carry appendix IWB at 1 o'clock. While in the car it is covered by the belt across my lap. I was thinking how I couldn't get to it in an emergency. I thought maybe an ankle holster might work, but I wear high-top work boots for ankle support while working on the concrete floor of the shop all day long. That would make it more like a "calf holster" for me, lol.

I didn't think of the steering column clip.

Stickyholsters.com 5.11 shirts....

I'd look at the ankle styles from Ken Null, G&G, Galco, DeSantis.
These brands have highly rated ankle rigs.
Sticky Holsters, a new Florida based firm has pocket/IWB/ankle holsters that can be quickly converted. They offer a military/sworn LE officer product discount.
Another choice is a under garment or to wear concealment clothes with extra pockets. 5.11 tactical has a slick activewear shirt with holsters on each side.
Lenny Magill has a few concealed carry choices too; www.glockstore.com .

Clyde
www.stickyholsters.com www.5.11tactical.com www.policehq.com

I have used a Bianchi Triad ankle holster for several years. Works very well for driving as long as you are not scrunched up against the steering wheel. I also use it at other times when a IWB, OWB or shoulder holster is not practical. Such as when working and wearing a tool belt. I also use it sometimes when riding motorcycle. I have yet to lose retention of the handgun(S&W 637) and many times on those 9-10 hour workdays, I forget I'm wearing it. It does take some practice to be able to draw from it and one cannot wear "skinny" type jeans. When wearing hightop work boots or wearing' it higher up on your thigh, you'll need the extension straps.

4750_Ranger%20Triad%20Ankle%20Holster.jpg

I've tried a cpl, but no way. Feels like I have a club foot even with small 380's. Plus feels like they could fall out.

I use an ankle rig (desantis model 44) everyday at work for my G26. much will depend upon the gun you intend to carry and the type of activity to are probably going to do.

I bought an inexpensive model from Outbags USA. It has a neoprene band and a nylon holster It's comfortable and seems adequate for car travel. I would switch to my regular holster upon arrival at my destination. The only thing I don't like is the velcro fastened retention strap. I'll be replacing that with a thumb break strap from the old holster box.

The problem with most ankle holsters is the draw. If you are not seated, you either:
Kneel down (not always possible)
Hop on one leg. (off balance and very vulnerable)
I tried and tried, and came to the conclusion that (other than when seated), the best thing about an ankle holster is, it let's you think you are armed!

Of course, your results may vary. Best of luck, but the other solutions offered here sound much, much more workable.

The only time I use an ankle holster is at work, and tuckable IWB holsters are a no-go. I need to wear dress slacks and dress shirts to work, both of which need to be form fitted, so going up a size in the pants and shirt just to accommodate an IWB holster just wont work unless I want to look like a slob. While not my favorite method of carry, it works when you really have no other options for carry.

On those occasions where I use an ankle holster for wardrobe reasons, its a DeSaints. As others have commented though, you need to get used to the weight. DeSaints is well padded, fits tight and does not rub.

When I used to carry my backup on my ankle regularly I began to develop knee and hip issues on the gun side. Believe it or not, that little bit of weight difference throws off you bio-mechanics. This same problem often occurs when you wear a duty gun on the same side every day, it is not uncommon to have some back issues.

If you are primarily sitting in the car this may not be a problem, however you may find walking will quickly identify you weight tolerance. My 642 carries best and I notice the extra weight from my G27 or Sig 639.

If you just want something in your vehicle, there are a number of options out there for a vehicle mounted holster. In my pov, I often just tuck gun in a holster along my seat for long drives.

Work boots

The only time I carry in an ankle holster is when I have on work boots. I wear it in the normal way right over the boot. Seems to stay in place much better than just on a bare ankle. Plus adds support for my weak ankles.
In response to the comment about just feeling armed. Yes, but sometimes at work this is the only way I can carry and I "feel" more protected than just having my knife. Sometimes I will carry this way as a backup. I'm so used to it now that my leg feels like the weight is off if I don't have it.

I have posted in the past about my preference towards ankle carry for driving. I used to carry my Beretta Tomcat in an Desantis Apache ankle holster, and it performed admirably. I'm lookgin around at the different angle holsters now for my J-frame, but won't hesitate to get another Apache once I finish looking around.

I found (find) ankle wear best for my third gun.

Did I mention I kicked one that dislodged from its ankle location across the Post Office floor? :eek:

Back