Animal rights activists interfering with hunting

....most of us now have a cell phone with a good video camera in our pockets. Almost as good as having a LEO in your pocket.

Yes and speaking of which, if you've got your own land that you hunt on it might be a good idea to put up hidden cameras so you can catch the animal nuts on camera and use that against them in court.

As long as they are not trespassing, hard to see how there would be a conviction that would not be obliterated by ACLU supported counsel. The First Amendment still means something in this country.

Usually its against the law to harass lawful hunters.

So anyway, I was wondering if fishermen are also harassed by animal rights activists and from a few posts up I see that yes, fishermen too sometimes get trouble from the animal nuts. Supposedly lots of animal rights activists, perhaps most, are against fishing since fishing is more or less just hunting done in the water. However, I don't think fishermen have as big of a problem with animal nuts as hunters do.

Also, how about farmers? I would think most animal nuts would hate farmers since farmers slaughter animals by the mass for food and other uses. I would think they might hate farmers even more than hunters since with hunting at least the animal has a chance whereas with farming animals are just led to the slaughter with no chance to run or otherwise get away. And many more animals are killed in farming than in hunting and in farming animals are bred and raised for that very purpose, to be killed for the use of man. So I would think animal nuts must hate farmers most of all.

Usually its against the law to harass lawful hunters.
If they are not on the property and not violating a noise ordnance (unlikely, if you can fire a gun whatever they are doing won't violate it)the First Amendment would crush it, and the attempt would bankrupt you if you tried it civilly. Again this presupposes they are not trespassing.

People threaten suits not knowing the joyous cost and years of their life they will never get back. if you're suing an activist they and their backers are getting free publicity and they will likely welcome it.

Note: I have nothing against hunting, but I value the Bill of Rights more, and don't see protection of the Second at the expense of First as a good bargain.

Like Sure Shot Mc Gee says, only the lawyers win in law suits. Costs a fortune whether you win or lose with no guarantee you'll actually collect a nickel, even if you do win.

I'll say it again - SMALL CLAIMS COURT.

As long as they are not trespassing, hard to see how there would be a conviction that would not be obliterated by ACLU supported counsel. The First Amendment still means something in this country.

The 1st Amendment protects the content of your free expression, not the method by which it is delivered. You have the right to stand next the road and hold up your "Trump Stinks" sign. You do not have the right to stand in the road and block traffic with it. You have a right to speak at the appropriate time during a city council meeting. If you attempt to interrupt the meeting and make a speech while they are conducting other business, you will be removed, and arrested if you refuse to leave. You have the right to make a speech in a public place. You do not have the right to do it with a bullhorn in front of my home at 2:00am you'll be arrested for disturbing the peace. You have the right to carry "I love Bambi" signs in the parking area of state game lands. You do not have the right to interfere with a hunt. The 1st Amendment protects the contents of your opinion, but there is no protection of the activities with which you express them.

if you're suing an activist they and their backers are getting free publicity and they will likely welcome it.
Just as I would welcome the publicity of exposing these idiots.

The 1st Amendment protects the content of your free expression, not the method by which it is delivered. You have the right to stand next the road and hold up your "Trump Stinks" sign. You do not have the right to stand in the road and block traffic with it. You have a right to speak at the appropriate time during a city council meeting. If you attempt to interrupt the meeting and make a speech while they are conducting other business, you will be removed, and arrested if you refuse to leave. You have the right to make a speech in a public place. You do not have the right to do it with a bullhorn in front of my home at 2:00am you'll be arrested for disturbing the peace. You have the right to carry "I love Bambi" signs in the parking area of state game lands. You do not have the right to interfere with a hunt. The 1st Amendment protects the contents of your opinion, but there is no protection of the activities with which you express them.

Absolutely none of those are applicable to my argument.

Some states have anti-harassment laws which apply on federal lands.

Texas trespassing law: If the offending party proceeds to leave when ordered to do so, end of story. If not, it then becomes a crime where trespass charges can be filed--which is where the cell phone camera can be very helpful. Ranchers have been known to hold trespassers at gunpoint until the arrival of a deputy to arrest the trespasser. (I note that ranchers dominate the legal structure in quite a few counties in Texas. :))

Friend told me of an encounter with some of those animal rights guys in the Adirondaks one weekend. They followed him and his hunting buddies all day. Next weekend they went back and the same dudes followed them thru the woods. As it got dark the hunters pitched camp, tents and sleeping bags. The harrassers didn't know where they were so they either wondered around the woods most of the night or stayed nearby and spent a very uncomfortable night.

I love that story!:D

Instead of worrying about what might happen, or if something were to happen, go hunting and you will likely find that all of this has been grossly overstated by newspapers and the activists themselves. Nothing better to keep people away than thinking something distasteful might happen. It seldom does, anyway.

Absolutely none of those are applicable to my argument.

You didn't make an argument. You simply stated that deliberately interfering with, or obstructing a lawful activity of others on public land is protected by the 1st Amendment. I don't agree.

Back