Angle of departure

Hmmm. Not quite. The bullet and the case will hit the ground at the same time IF the rifle barrel is horizontal, AND the fired case goes directly out of the action and straight down. But that never really happens since the case is first trapped in the bolt, usually begins by going upward, etc., so the bullet gets a head start on the bolt.

HS physics teachers keep a neat little gadget around to show the the action; not a gun, but a spring gadget that releases one ball to drop down and a second to fly out some distance after being struck at the same time.

Jim

And then one of us ask the sergeant to explain in ten words or less how the bullet and case hit the ground at the same time if the case is dropped when the bullet leaves the barrel

In ten words or less: And then one day one of them complained abut it being Friday; he said he hated fish sticks so I told him to go shoot something and I would see what I could do about finding someone to cook it. He was gone for awhile and then returned with a rattle snake. It was about that time the ship hit the sand.

F. Guffey

Back