And yet another 'terrorist'...

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
This just in: American Airlines employee arrested.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Jere Haney, 42, was taken into custody after a 50-pound bag of ammonium nitrate, assault rifles and anti-government literature were found at his home, authorities said. He was charged with possession of components of explosives, a Grapevine Police Department spokeswoman told FOXNews.com.
[/quote]
http://www.foxnews.com/national/122899/american_airlines.sml

"Components of explosives," eh? "Assault rifles," eh? "Anti-government literature," eh?

This would be funny if it was the movies. :(

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

[This message has been edited by Coinneach (edited December 28, 1999).]

Lesse, this means I better;

1) empty the fire extiguisher (type ABC contains Amonium nitrate)
2) get rid of all my guns and,
3) throw away the Ayn Rand novels, copies of the Constitution and Declaration of Independance - oh and all the religious books I have here as well!

Sheesh. Maybe the guy was a bad guy, maybe he wasn't, but "suspected anti-government leanings"? Since when can one be arrested for that? and why weren't the founding Fathers?

I am getting pretty tired of hearing of all these arrests on "the suspicion that he was going to do something" ... I thought you had to commit a crime to be incarcerated.

Am I all wet here?

------------------
---
I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death! - RKBA!

Something is very wrong when people are being arrested for possessing "components of explosives", especially when one of those "components" is ordinary fertilizer.

And "anti-government literature"? What the heck is that?

I suppose it won't be long until Clinton and Reno have their troops rounding up members of the Falun Gong. :(

I too would like to know how one can be charged with "components of explosives", and whether it's a state or federal charge. It's thought police, seems to me.

It would seem that many facts pertenant to the arrest are missing from the original post.
The individual in question was 1st stopped for speeding on airport grounds, by the DFW airport police. 67 mini-bottles of airline alcohol were found in his vehicle, leading the Airport PD to rightly assume this guy was a thief. Based on that logic, a warrant was issued to search his residence, and the fertilizer, bomb manufacturing instructions, fuses, and containers were found. The "subversive literature" and "assualt weapons" are just the usual news thingies, and only incidental to the real story. Stop and think, this guy has unlimited access to aircraft; I personally think the DFW police stopped a real y2K screw-up.

------------------
Either learn to hit what you aim at, or take track lessons.

Very well, I stand corrected. That additional info was NOT in the article when I first saw it.

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

Let's see, when I was growing up on the farm, we normally had about half a truckload of what these guys would call "fertilizer bomb material" fermenting in the stalls at any given time. ;) Between the sheep, the pigs, the odd steer, and the horse, we could have fertilized half the county. Oddly though, no one ever made a bomb out of any of it to the best of my knowledge (unless you count the stink, which was pretty darned brutal).

The guy may well have been a loose screw. He lives in an apartment, so he probably doesn't take care of his own yard. One 50lb. bag the equivalent of a case of dynamite? Not without considerably further involved practical chemistry and physics. It is not my preferred N source but we occaisionally have 20,000 lbs of it in the barn for a short time. Between terrorists, drug labs, and Druids we may well have to rely on the animal stalls for our ag products shortly. Of course then we won't be allowed to eat them. Not giving up my anti-government library though.

Uhhh, Oookkkaaayyyy.

Me thinks we'd best be destroyin' our copies of the Second Amendment Primer as well as the most recent printoffs from select Web Sites (this'n included).

Anti-Government literature. Very vague at best, sorry. As mentioned beforehand, that might well include the Constitution, and copies of the Federalist Papers. Also my favorite quotes from past Presidents as well...

Shoot(oops), my wife buys that much at a time to resoil/fertilize her house plants!!!
Never had a problem with the sunroom blowing out yet. The redeye booze shots being stolen, thats another story altogether. And they got a search warrant to search his apartment for that??? I'm missing something here. We have people trying to smuggle legit higrade explosives into our country, and they're spinning their wheels on this stuff? Has to be more to this than is being told...I am a cynic..

Best Regards,
Don

Okay, Possesion of Explosive Components is a violation of the Texas State Penal Code, so it's not a Federal arrest.

I'll look it up, but I don't think that possession of fertilizer alone is enough for an arrest. I'm pretty sure that some kind of initiating system is also required.

Remember, gentlemen, the "Anti-Government literature" appears to be a description added by the media.

Frankly speaking (and in my experience) this appears to be strictly a Texas case and the Fan Belt Inspectors are only in on it because they don't want to miss out on any publicity that the media can drum up.

LawDog

Yup, there was that speeding charge & what gave them the right to search his vehicle & issue a probable cause search of his home because he had "airline alcohol bottle-sized" containers that can be bought in any liquor store? Sure, it's suspicious but anyone take this thought line a bit further? Does give one pause tho' (somewhat).

What really cracks me up (half-heartedly) is the talking heads are all saying how safe we are & at the same time reporting on all the suspected terrorists they're picking up off the streets. Anybody else seeing the dichotomy? Just curious.... We got "everything safe n' sound" in Seattle but they're cancelling the Space Needle gettogether - but, of course, the "special friends" party on the top. "Everything's fine" but, just in case, we'll just restrict your rights (liberty) "in the interest of safety." Just brings to mind B. Franklin's fave quote re "deserving neither."

And in no way jumping on the "make a bomb" bandwagon - but any old "squeeze the package" cold pack for general first aid use has pre-prilled pure ammonium nitrate ready to go. So, first aid kits are next for bomb-making kits?

As an aside, in my less-informed, more excitable (albeit innocent) days, I blew up my best friend's living room (with his folks in attendance) with common ingredients found under your kitchen cabinet. Hospital for 6 days & made UPI. Whoop. With better information (which is out there), I could have blown up the whole house & killed me too boot. Max Whoop. Point is is that I'd bet everyone of you has "bomb-making" stuff in your house right now. Coupla nice shooters (Gawd, a race gun!) & a bible ....

You get on the "wrong side of the law" & down you go & painted as (you don't get to) "pick your name" for the headlines.

Off the rant .... damn

Okay, did some research:

Texas Penal Code: 46.09

A person commits an offense if he knowingly possesses components of an explosive weapon with the intent to combine the components into an explosive weapon for use in a Criminal endeavor.

What this means to us laypersons is that the State has to prove that the critter a) had two or more components of a bomb, b) he intended to combine these into a bomb and c) that the bomb was to be part of a crime.
Each and every stage (a,b,c) HAS to be proved beyond a reasonable doubt, or no crime occured.

Labgrade, it is my understanding that the critter admitted the bottles were stolen, gave the officers permission to search the vehicle AFTER such admission, further admitted that he had more stolen bottles at his residence and gave the officers permission to search his residence.

FoxNews quote-
"In addition to having a suspended license, Haney admitted that he had stolen the liquor bottles, Murphy said. He even offered to take the airport police to his apartment, where he'd stashed an additional 400 to 500 mini-bottles, Murphy said." -unquote.

Sounds like good LEO work to me.

LawDog

[This message has been edited by LawDog (edited December 28, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by LawDog (edited December 28, 1999).]

LawDog,

Now there you go. See, I just knew there was a bit more to explain the SW. Whewww!!!

Was really getting worried there. By the by, thanks for the followup work.

Best Regards,
Don

Yeah, it does sound like reasonable Police work on thier part, but sh*tty reporting on the part of the meadia - again! ... I wish there were some way we could slap them down for now simply reporting the story - the entire story, and nothing BUT the story from the get go.

A well, there I go dreamin' again.

------------------
---
I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death! - RKBA!

Lawdog I like the fbi thing.

Labgrade I guess that explains your handle? Good thing you had no radiator stop leak and a jug of model airplane fuel.

Sounds like the guy has no business near airports but the media blows it out of proportion with the anti gove material and some semi auto that was probably fully legal, didnt think Texas had any "a-salt weapons" bans like my commie state of califorinia.

So you can make bombs in Texas for things like:
A. Work. Usefull for removing stumps and old sheds.
B. Sport. Usefull on stumps, sheds, and fishing...

Just as long as you dont INTEND to use it in a crime...
God Bless Texas!

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

LawDog,

You're correct. I jumped the gun, but based on info available at the time. Local paper had the rest of the story this AM which mentioned the "gave permission" details.

Guess my attitude was more directed at how the media gives up portions of the story at a time to create a certain impression.

LawDog, thanks for the additional info. As TR said, this sounds like a case of good police work and poor (to put it politely) reporting.

I do have to give some credit to National Public Radio, though. On their broadcast last night they interviewed an "expert" who explained that most of the militia/survivalists were arming themselves not to commit terror, but to defend against attacks from the government. I'm guessing that the folks at NPR were hoping to get more of a gun-nuts-threaten-civilization spin, but, hey, it came out fairly neutral.

No problem, folks.
A good site for info on the latest Texas laws is: http://www.cowtown.net/Cop_Shop/index.htm

He's got the new laws and some general LEO stuff y'all might like looking through.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, George. Your local Rabbit Ranger (Game Warden, for those unlucky enough to live outside of Texas) might get perturbed if he catches you using explosives for bass bait.

LawDog

Back