An out-of-State licensee

OP asked: "May I lawfully ship a firearm directly to an out-of-State licensee, or must I have a licensee in my State ship it to him? May the licensee return the firearm to me, even if the shipment is across State lines?"
Which seems to imply they are shipping the firearm for repair or gunsmithing. This is one of the very few exceptions to federal laws on the interstate transfer of a firearm.

The rules for shipping a firearm for gunsmithing/repair are clear. However, it's a big assumption that that's the situation here without a clear statement to that effect.

What if the OP shipped a gun to the FFL of an out of state buyer, who decided he didn't want it and wants to return it?

What if the OP shipped a gun to the FFL of an out of state buyer, who decided he didn't want it and wants to return it?

I would handle that as the return of a gun on consignment… 4473/NICS required.

That would mean go back to the OP thru an FFL. Remember, that firearm was logged into that out of state FFL’s book. Must be logged out correctly.

natman
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom View Post
OP asked: "May I lawfully ship a firearm directly to an out-of-State licensee, or must I have a licensee in my State ship it to him? May the licensee return the firearm to me, even if the shipment is across State lines?"
Which seems to imply they are shipping the firearm for repair or gunsmithing. This is one of the very few exceptions to federal laws on the interstate transfer of a firearm.
The rules for shipping a firearm for gunsmithing/repair are clear. However, it's a big assumption that that's the situation here without a clear statement to that effect.
OP asked if the FFL could return the firearm directly to him. I gave THE ONE EXEMPTION that allows the direct return. No "big assumption" is needed.

That's a wholly different situation and the receiving FFL should know that the direct return to the OP is not legal per federal law.

While legal, both Fedex and UPS will no longer accept for shipment firearms from someone who is NOT a FFL (unless the FFL sends you a prepaid label basically saying they are shipping your gun to themselves), so long guns can still go via USPS, bit handguns cannot; so your only recourse is using a FFL to FFL transaction

Back