An old interesting k38

I've no idea when my 14-3 was made. I was trading at a lgs and really wanted one of the new 6" L frames but all he had was the 14. Before he gave it to me he used a range rod and a lead babbit to bring the cylinder into alignment. I was amazed how accurately it shot. iirr at 25 yards it shot 1 3/8" which was the best I'd done with anything.

I learned to shoot mine at bowling pin matches. We changed the rules a bit and all the 38's had to do was knock them over, not off the table. I finally got down into the mid 3 second range for 5 pins and was really learning my double action. I knew I was having a good run when the instant the gun was raised to horizontal, it went off and moved the the next and next pins without hesitation.

Today with all the small concealed carry and odd double action pulls, all I have to do is get the old K-38 out to put a big smile on my face. I always wonder if Smith and Wesson couldn't have kept that smooth action and still made it smaller and ligher without going to the coil spring and the J frames. Something in between - but I guess back then, that's what the K frame was.

Back