Ammunition suggestions for a .270?

I would choose either the 130 or 150 gr SP bullets like most of the recommendations. I use the 150 grainers year after year and have no problem. If I get a shot, I usually get a deer.

Choose whichever cartridge you lean toward and take the rifle to the range and sight the scope in. I usually sight it in at 2" high at 100 yds. Next, I would buy a box or two of each and take the rifle to the range and see how EACH shoots in your gun.

You made a good choice of rifles and scope. I have not done vast amounts of shooting of the 270 in the last few years. Usually take it out in the late summer/early fall and shoot some paper to confirm that the scope settings are still good. I have been pretty much leaning toward using a handgun these days for whitetail unless I'm hunting very open woods or fields.

Quoting 22-rimfire: I usually sight it in at 2" high at 100 yds. End quote

Yes! This good practice. With the flat shooting 270 sighted in 2" high at 100 yards, you will be right on at 200 and about 3.5 low at 300. You can shoot point blank at deer up to 300 yards and make a good hit without worrying about calculating the range.

Federal Premium 130 grain Vital-Shok Barnes TSX will make the .270 perform "pooty good" at the terminal end...

ART
Just as good a group as usual, so I quit worrying about it.
Careful here... :)
The accuracy problems will not manifest themselves until the bullet slows some... at longer ranges...

Then... cross winds, frontal winds and horse-flies :) will begin to have a greater and greater effect.

Last edited:
(good choice?)

Yes.

Now buy lots of ammo, and shoot the heck out of the gun; get really familiar with it this summer, and you'll be ready when hunting season gets here.

That is what I did last summer (I went through at least 250 rounds), and I was very comfortable with the gun and scope when it was time to hunt.

The 270 shoots fast and flat, has plenty of power for any North American game

Are we in the "presence" of an incredibly courageous Grizzly/Polar Bear hunter? :rolleyes:

or is someone just shooting off...

his hip?????????????? :p

Man I dont think I'd want to use it for any and all North American game but for deer its great. Very popular caliber for hunting Wa. Of course we dont have polar bears and poison monkeys. :)

For whitetail. Go to gander or Dicks or whatever bigbox (even wally world) and buy a box of Winchester, a box of Remington and a box of Federal plain jane ammo I would buy 130 grain, but you can try 150's too. now go find a place and take an after noon and shoot it. carefully, taking 15 minutes between 3 or 5 shot groups. For a hunting gun a 3 shot group is going togive you a better idea what the rifle will do from a cold barrel. Chances are one of the loads will shoot a good deal better in your gun. Go back and buy a couple more boxes of that ammo and you are set.

A 270 is not a marginal caliber for deer and it does not need the help of the triple delux bullet. If you are worried about bullet construction, buy the Federal load with the Nosler Partition. It will NOT fail. period.

Shoot the rifle enough to be comfortable with it. Shoot 6 to 8 boxes of ammo before season and if you are able to see a deer, you will eat venison for Thanksgiving.

I've seen many animals get clobbered by a wide diversement of cartridges and rifles. 270 is very popular with out-of-state deer and antelope hunters. For long shots out on the open prairie, the 130 grain bullet is tough to beat. Many companies now load a 140 grain bullet that is also quite lethal. 150 grain bullet is still fast and accurate but not as popular, I'm not sure why.
Jack

For deer, the 130gr. loads work very well. For larger game like elk you want to use at least a 150gr. load. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Nosler Partition for all game that I use a 270 for as it is extremely accurate and has dropped every animal I've hit with my Rem 700. I really love Federal's Nosler Partition loads for 25-06 and 270Win. Its hard to beat. Pricey but very good ammo.

Back