Ammunition suggestions for a .270?

gators44

Inactive
Hey, This is going to be my first whitetail hunt in the fall. I had just purchased a .270 savage this week and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as to what kind of ammo to buy. I know the best bullet is one that pierces the heart and lungs yada yada yada...but I just need some sort of idea please. Keep in mind I have NO experience whatsoever in this area. Thanks

I've always had luck with the terminal performance of the ballistic tip in the .280 caliber. The soft point will do the trick too (and tend to leave a cleaner wound track when bones are hit.) I've never walked more than a hundred yards, and that one was a ballistic tip that hit a rib and pulled a JFK.

ok what's the difference between the two ballistic and soft point? What are the pros and cons? what other types are there?

ok what's the difference between the two ballistic and soft point? What are the pros and cons? what other types are there?

The ballistic tip has a plastic inverted cone at the tip and it extends into the body of the bullet in a way that forces FAST expansion. It is not for thick skinned game as it drops all the energy so fast that it is less likely to reach the vitals in an animal such as a fat bear or most African plains animals.

The soft point is a jacketed lead bullet but instead of plastic tip the lead is exposed. Often the jacket is thicker at the base of the bullet and some are bonded metal to metal. Some premium soft points are framed with internal connections.

Let your rifle make the decision for you. In other words, buy 4 or 5 different brands of ammo, and take them to the range. Use the one that shoots most accurately. I suppose I'd try 130 grain loads, but I'd also try some 150 grainers too, just to see how they shoot.

Just about any soft-point ammo will kill deer quite well. Heck, the inexpensive plain-jane Remington core-lokt ammo will do the trick. No need for premium ammo, unless that is what shoots the best through your rifle.

Just use a 130, 140, or a 150 grainer, and no lighter of a bullet, and hit them in the breadbasket, and it will work. For deer, doesn't matter if its ballistic tip or softpoint; nor is a premium bonded or partition bullet required. Just use 130 grains or up and it'll work fine, provided a good hit is made.

For deer, the old 130-grain has always been the standard in the .270.

Unless you expect bucks to dress out above 150 pounds, most any old bullet will do--unless you're planning on quartering-away shots on a running buck. Whatever standard bullet that groups best...

Art

Any bullet above 130 grains in a 270 will kill a deer easily. I have found that there are few bullets more accurate than the ballistic tip. It will convey a lot of energy to the target quickly as well.

I Shot A Medium Sized Mule Deer At 100yds In The Chest And It Dropped Dead Instantly With The Standard Federal Ammo .270. Nothing Fancy. I Think That Cartridge Has Plenty Of Power For Deer. You Dont Need To Spend Money On Anything Special.

My remington 700 loves 130 gr but will not shoot 150 gr well at all.I've heard people say the opposite also.You need to try some different weights and see which group better and go with a bullet of that weight.I like the nosler ballistic tip in 130 gr but the deer don't like them at all.:D

Haven't dropped a deer yet with my .270, but 130 grain Sierras pushed by an ample amount of H4895 have accounted for three Pronghorns. On my last elk I used 150 grain Federal Premium ammo and I have 19 rnds left over to use next year. I grabbed the wrong box of reloads on the way to hunt elk and had to buy the Federals, they shot great took the cow broadside at 250yds and she drooped like a rock. I think any bullet in the 130-150 range will get the job done quite handily. Great choice on caliber the .270 is a fun cartridge to shoot and very versatile

FWIW ballistic tips hold their shape better than soft lead tips when they are subject to the sort of abuse that comes from carrying them around in boxes and pockets, loading and unloading, dropping, banging the front of the magazine and having dogs chew on them. :o

MandM, I got curious, one time, about the effect of tip-battering on accuracy. I was always twitchy about the last couple of round in the magazine: pretty flat-nosed after the first three or four shots.

So, going to the bench rest with a "pure" bullet and varying degrees of others with some flattening, I shot for group. Just as good a group as usual, so I quit worrying about it. I also read in The Dope Bag that they had the same result...

Art

In my years of using a .270, I have found that Federal Classic, and Remington CoreLokt 130 grain do a fine job. They are not as sexy or as expensive as ballistic tips, or core bonds or whatever, but they do kill deer.

I suggest Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips. They have knocked down every deer I've shot with them. In 130 or 150 grain.
sbst.jpg

Plus they have a silver colored case and look really cool.:)

I have a Winchester M70 Black Shadow in .270. At 100 yards using stock Remington Corelokt 130gr Bullets, it shoots cloverleafs on paper. Using the 130 gr bullet, I have taken hogs over 200 pounds. The Corelokts knock 'em down, right now....Also- The corelokts go all the way through.

Remington Core Lokt in 130 grain would be my choice if it will shoot accurately in your gun.

I reload for my 270 and use a 130 gr Hornady spire point. That is a soft nose bullet. Very effective on deer.

Good choice of caliber.
The 270 shoots fast and flat, has plenty of power for any North American game, doesn't bust your shoulder, or give you scope "ring around the eye". Ammo is usually available, and is reasonable in price.

My experience shows that the 130 grain bullet from a 270 will usually go clear through a deer. Best shoot its head off if you want any meat left. :)

All the ying and yang about bullet types etc is in vain anyway. The trick is to learn to hit the target with whatever you decide to use. Do plenty of shooting before the hunt.

Good luck in the hunt.

Hey everyone thanks for the advice...right now I just bought a bunch of the Federal power-shock 130 grain for target practice and getting used to the rifle (it's my first gun). I may get some other based on these suggestions for the hunt in the fall. Once again thanks, this site has been awesome as I have gone from knowing absolutely nothing about guns 2 months ago to being able to talk to a lot of different people who have been shooting their whole lives. Just to give you some idea I couldn't tell a shotgun from a rifle about 2 months ago and this week I bought a savage .270 w/ a 3-9 leupold VXII scope (good choice?).

yupper......good choice on the rifle and scope and the ammo. Good hunting in the fall and dont forget to post a pic if you get one.

Back