Ammunition Consumption as a function of OODA loop

When I hear of things like Mozambique drills I think of stationary paper targets being faced by shooters that are waiting for the beep or the shoot command of an instructor.

Agreed. I was thinking the same thing when I read the two to the chest, one to the head routine. I've shot it thousands of times. Works great on the flat range during daylight at seven yards with a target that doesn't move or shoot back. I can't really even visualize it in a real deal since I'll be moving, he will be moving, along with the many other possibilities not found on a typical range.

Couple random thoughts

M.O.V.E.: Motionless Operators Ventilate Easily. moving towards cover is usually best, unless you've got the zig-zag sprint down pat.

if you have to empty all rounds to stop an adversary you may need to re-assess your weapon performance / capacity, or the dude has armor on, in which case you have head or pocket shots.

personal preference? three rounds; then move if possible if not already behind cover.

Eli W.

P.S. somone may have brought these up already but i got on the thread late and am too lazy (er, busy with big important things..?) to read the whole thing in detail.

it's always been my intention to keep shooting until the threat is no longer a threat. One round? Fine. All the cartridges in the magazine? Fine. Reload and shoot some more? What ever it takes.

it's always been my intention to keep shooting until the threat is no longer a threat. One round? Fine. All the cartridges in the magazine? Fine. Reload and shoot some more? What ever it takes.

Right, so what are people going to conserve ammo for if the threat still exists?

NormOps said:
P.S. somone may have brought these up already but i got on the thread late and am too lazy (er, busy with big important things..?) to read the whole thing in detail.

Why did you even bother to respond if you weren't going to take the time to understand the point of the original post or read any of the replies in the thread?

For those of you who prefer not to fire pairs at your threat, you may want to look into the difference between Temp and permanent wound cavity's produced by a single impact versus two impacts in close proximity. That being said, the pair is not the cure-all for a threat! Shoot, Move, Communicate.

Speed reload, done on his time when weapon is dry!
Tactical reload, done during a lull in the fight!

Yes, I should keep a rough idea of the rounds in my gun, but in a multiple threat scenario that may not happen.

Do I perform 1 or 2?

Whatever it takes to go back home! Every threat gets two, break your eyes off the sights, find the head box, if still a threat, fire another, and if at anytime another threat persents itself it will recieve the same treatment. I am not sure if that falls into one or both but that is what I am trained to do and though I have not used it in a SD scenario it works good far away lands!

Back