Ammo problem with new ammo

Could quickload provide information about w h at happens when case capacity is reduced? I suspect that it's not so important as expected, unless the round is already maxed out.

I suspect that it's not so important as expected...
It CAN be a significant pressure increase in some cases.

Hirtenberger Ammunition did some testing on the 180gr .40S&W and found that as little as 0.1" of setback could double the discharge pressure in some loadings. That information isn't directly applicable to other calibers, or even all bullet weights/all loadings in the .40 S&W. Any given caliber/loading could be affected the same, less, or maybe even more--there's no simple way to know. What that information does is help people understand the potential danger.

The .40 S&W is a "grenade in waiting" compared to a .45ACP.

If there is another round that is more sensitive to pressure changes due to seating depth (with some loads) I don't know what it is. Even the 9mm isn't as bad in that regard.

Absolutely mishandled. Most likely by a warehouse somewhere. What or how it happens really doesn't matter. Take it back where you bought it.

The OP did say this up above in post #12:

So I contacted outdoor limited. They were great. The owner sent me an email the next day and he already has replacement boxes shipped no questions. I'll see if a reloader wants these boxes to fix and shoot.

Sounds like a good resolution.

tipoc

O heir, that is exactly what I have been thinking. It looks like it was tossed onto a floor and landed on a corner. A box is heavy enough that it would crush those rounds. If these rounds had been packed for shipping with even a minimum of padding, that couldn't have happened.

Back