Ammo Prices Keep Going Up!?

JuanCarlos

Besides which, he's comparing crude prices in 2007 to a period of record (or near-record, to lazy to verify) highs. I think it would be more illuminating to fill in the years between 1982 and 2007, personally. No need to spoil the mystery, of course, I'm looking at a graph of it right now (1970 to 2007).

So what you're really saying, sasquatch, is that oil today is at least somewhat cheaper than that other time oil was obscenely expensive. Yay?

Though yes, rising fuel costs are only a small part of the rising cost of ammunition.

Yep. The point I was trying to make is that the price of oil is not much different today than it was in the early 80s. Ammunition prices are MUCH higher than they were in the 80s, so the increase in ammunition prices cannot all be attributed to higher fuel costs.

Yep. The point I was trying to make is that the price of oil is not much different today than it was in the early 80s. Ammunition prices are MUCH higher than they were in the 80s, so the increase in ammunition prices cannot all be attributed to higher fuel costs.

Ah, my bad. Apparently my conclusion-drawing mechanism went to bed at midnight. ;)

I'm wondering what xd9fan is trying to say, and how it relates to this thread. That ammunition prices are largely influenced by anti-gun factions in our government? I'm not seeing it; again, the largest factors in ammunition prices are the price of raw materials (such as copper) and the demand for it worldwide. Right now both are high, thus bullets is 'spensive. It isn't rocket surgery.

time to get into bow and arrows, im a huge rambo fan anyway.

.22s are fun n cheap. i just wish someone would make a 15 to 20 round .22 handgun.

Do not rule out the profit factor

Throughout this thread I have not heard the basic fact that retailers have a place in the ammo market cost increases. Retailers get to add their markup based on the profit factor. You can consider the difference between the prices at a couple of shops and the big box companies to see where the profit area lies. While big box companies definitely buy for less the local gun shop still pays less than the big box company sells ammo for.

There is nothing wrong with making a profit when you are in business. But do not let the owners cries of their ammo cast confuse the fact they are marking it up.

Recently a local shop changed hands. To reduce the inventory the previous owner drop his prices to cost plus 5% on all ammo. I managed to pick up 4 boxes of Federal 38 Special for $ 12.60 a box when it was marked down from the $ 19.75 per box shelf price. Hum seems like $ 7.15 savings a box might have been a pretty fair profit margin they were making before the sale.

The gun show sellers are no better. They seem to be increasing prices to keep up with local retailers.

Ammo prices are like everything else. They have suffered from general inflation, supply and demand issues with the raw materials, the components and with the end product.

If we all stopped buying for a bit, the prices will come down some, but not too far because of non-ammunition related influences and the likelihood that there’s not a huge profit margin in the stuff anyway.

Placing the blame on retailers isn’t fair. They’re going to charge whatever the market will bear and you can’t blame them. Certainly can’t blame the whole thing on fuel prices.

blame on retailers

grymster2007 wrote: Placing the blame on retailers isn’t fair. They’re going to charge whatever the market will bear and you can’t blame them.

So if your are willing to accept price increases when a retailer increases their profit margin as simply business why is it different if the rest of the supply chain does the same thing? The manufacturers and shippers are entitled to get what the market will bear. The bottom line is the only thing a consumer can do is shop for the best deals.

Placing the blame on retailers isn’t fair. They’re going to charge whatever the market will bear and you can’t blame them.

People who worship at the feet of free trade instead of fair trade never understand this issue, I would guess and its only a guess that 60-70% percent of Americans believe any profit is good profit no matter what it cost others and the country, its all about standards, morals and yes, capitalism can fail without those qualities. Greed is the basis for the problems our country is going through.

So if your are willing to accept price increases when a retailer increases their profit margin as simply business why is it different if the rest of the supply chain does the same thing?

It's not. While I specified retailers, the same is true of everyone else in the chain. Everyone has a right to make a profit and if the market will bear it, then it is fair. The key is that it is the market that drives it. You haven't and won't hear me complaining about fuel prices either.

Greed is the basis for the problems our country is going through.

Let me know when you come up with a means to limit human greed and a trade system that's more fair than the one we have.

Wife whacked you with a 1/2 kilo Fuji apple?

"Why you go nice warm Las Vegas eat gorgeous food and play with gun, then come home give me flu? Disgusting! I hate you! Go sleep on couch!"

WildnuffsaidAlaska TM

So did you ask around at the show about ammo prices? Or is it just the despicable greed of capitalism?

"Why you go nice warm Las Vegas eat gorgeous food and play with gun, then come home give me flu? Disgusting! I hate you! Go sleep on couch!"

There is a disconnect in your statement here. What do Vegas, gun shows, food and flu have to do with the rest of the paragraph?:D

If you look at the price of LEAD and BRASS you will find it has climbed over the roof. People are steeling it to sell as scrap. Copper is so high, people are pulling down phone lines to sell it. Yet I have 5 dead car batteries here I have to pay to get rid of!:barf:

I have a 5gl bucket of tire wieght I should cash in! Can't get them to the truck. Oh well bullets they will be!:D

America is built on profits

I have no doubt in that statement. But within that statement there is a lot of difference between profits and greed. If unlimited profits were an acceptable American belief there would be no laws on profiteering on the books at either Federal or State levels across the country. Anyone could charge whatever they wanted to at any time in any place. Yet we as a society accept the premise that sometimes there is a need to stop profiteering.

We allow corporations to make huge profits from natural resources and public lands. Then we listen to the cries of how we should not tax success. How about just being paid a fair share when it comes to what these big companies pay for the natural resources they profit from. If you research what corporations are paying for natural resources today in the era of high profits in comparison to the prices they paid for those resources in the past you find many instances where there has been no increase in the cost to the corporations in man many years. In fact many industries are lobbying to get the prices they pay for natural resources lowered.

America was also built by the industrialist who realized at some point in their lives that returning those profits was in their own benefit. Carnegie, Mellon and now Bill Gates (just a few of the big time donors) have all given a huge percentage of their wealth back to the people of the world. They realized that building an unlimited fortune and not sharing any of it was not in their best interest. Henry Ford is renowned for paying his employees a wage that would allow them a life style where they could actually turn around and purchase a new Ford.

Democrats are faulted for wanting to tax the rich while Republicans want to cry that its not fair to tax the rich. The balance lies someplace in the middle

Profit is not a dirty word. I like the profits I make as well as the next guy. But profit and greed are different. I believe greed has become the ultimate goal in America in far to many businesses.

I run a manufacturing operation. We use aluminum, carbon steels, stainless steels, copper, molybdenum, tantalum, glidcop, lead, brass, inconel, hastelloy, titanium; you name it. They've all gone up with varying degrees of drama... mostly high drama.

I'd like to see some of the detractors undertake the risk of researching, exploring, engineering, drilling, pumping, transporting, refining and distributing petroleum products (or likewise with any product, including ammo), suffer through lean times, then give their profits away in good times.

The best way for companies to "give back" is not through donations to HIV programs, loans to third-world entrepreneurs and global health and development programs, but rather sharing those profits through a decent wage to the employees that they partner with to earn the profits, as well as financing the activities that ensure future profits.

Shell, Mobil, Chevron, Gulf, etc. all pay their employees wages sufficient to buy a new Ford, gasoline to run it on and a couple boxes of ammo to boot.

If you want something different, the answer was given previously.... except it seems, a true Marxist-Utopia has yet to be developed.

Last edited:
Back