Ammo Box Choices

Have used Berry's plastic ammo boxes for years; never had a hinge split or break. I use blue painter's tape to record caliber/bullet weight/power grains on the top of the box and transfer that tape to the powder canister when loading.

Don't always fill the boxes, however. If I'm going to be shooting a bunch of 9mm or 45ACP, I sometimes just fill a gallon ziplock bag. I have so much extra brass in these calibers I'm not concerned about missing a few empties.

I 3D print my ammo boxes out of ABS plastic - there are a number of different styles and caliber sizes posted on thingiverse. Then I wrap these in a sleeve of cardboard recycled from cereal boxes and waffle boxes etc. This sleeve is then marked with all the details of the round and a date and then sealed with heavy clear plastic packing tape. The sleeve is tight but slides off for easy access without having to fumble with a complete box. Sleeves are never re-used.

Early on I re-used factory ammo trays but stopped for 2 reasons - 1) I NEVER want my reloads to be mistaken for factory ammo by anyone let alone me. 2) most factory ammo trays don't sit sideways in a 50 cal standard ammo can so you get a LOT of wasted room. My custom printed trays for .40 cal fit perfectly.

Have used Berry's plastic ammo boxes for years; never had a hinge split or break. I use blue painter's tape to record caliber/bullet weight/power grains on the top of the box and transfer that tape to the powder canister when loading.

Don't always fill the boxes, however. If I'm going to be shooting a bunch of 9mm or 45ACP, I sometimes just fill a gallon ziplock bag. I have so much extra brass in these calibers I'm not concerned about missing a few empties.
I started out with Berry’s boxes that I got from Graf & Sons, then added some from a local gun show. I picked up a couple of .223 boxes from MTM at Cabela’s, then a couple of Cabela’s brand boxes. Overall, I much prefer the Berry’s. Not as happy to discover they changed the color configuration, but my unhappiness turned back to joy when I discovered they (Berry’s) offers a warranty on their boxes. I broke a couple of hinges, they asked for pics, then asked how many, what color, what caliber, and overnighted me the replacements.

I had a few MTM boxes but got tired of digging individual rounds out to load up. For many years now I've used ziplock sandwich bags, 100 rounds per bag. Easy. Grab however many bags you need for the range trip. Get ready to load, grab a fist full of ammo and stuff the magazine. When I police up my brass it goes in the now empty bags instead of scattering through my range bag.

Zip lock backs

I second that. I use zip lock bags too. They seal the bullets from the elements as well. If you get enough strawberry boxes, three will fit in your 50 cal. can easy.

Midsouthshootersupply has their house brand ammo boxes with real hinged lids. I have MTM too, and prefer the hinged ones. You can still break them if you step on them.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....und-ammo-box-10mm45-acp-clear-with-black-base
Another option is Redneck Convent made 50 round trays available on Amazon for 10 count for $9.99. That is a buck each. The come in a large and small size and accommodate different calibers. If you reload 308 and 45, and also 9mm & 40SW they will work. They do not come with boxes. You could either make boxes or vacuum seal to keep them in. Go to Amazon and search on Redneck Convent.

Back