Americans view on government interference

I think what seperates us from most other countries of the world is that Americans just don't seem to place much emphasis on their government. That's probably becoming less and less true as generations of government dependent sheeple begin to gain popularity. But I realize all the hype with this upcoming election and it appears it's the hot-topic with every American. But when it comes down to the nuts and bolts of things, government doesn't have much to do with our daily lives and after all the electoral hype fades away, it's back to ourselves whom we depend on to make our lives work and make it better. When they pass laws that are unpopular, well, most of us just shrug, become outlaws by proxy and keep on doing what we do, like during the Clinton gun-ban.

stop accepting the candidates that "they" put in front of us as our only choices.

Get rid of the incumbents, and don't vote for the alternative party in that race. Put a completely fresh face in there that deflates the D/R power structure.

I agree with this 100%, azredhawk, and frankly it is frustrating to me that more people don't vote outside of the two parties. I truly feel that this is the only way things can change for the better and for more freedom of our rights. The "revolution" will need to begin at the polls.

You aren't seeing what I am seeing

But when it comes down to the nuts and bolts of things, government doesn't have much to do with our daily lives

I disagree. Perhaps it is only a point of view, but my point of view is that government is deeply involved in our daily lives. The moment we step outside our front door (and even while we are inside our homes) we are subject to hundreds of laws, regulations, rules and ordinances, every minute of every day. And that, my friends is a result of our government working tirelessly to make life better for us all.

Just get in your car and drive to the store to buy aloaf of bread. How many laws apply to you during that simple action? Dozens? Scores? maybe even a hundred? Local, state, and Federal, how many do you think apply for each and ever single action you might do during the course of a normal day?

We are so used to it that many don't even realize just how many rules we actually have, here in the land of the free.

Sure, we need laws, and even regulations for an orderly society. I just don't think we need as many as we currently have.

There are places in our nation where citizens have to pay the govt because water runs downhill.

We are free to do whatever we wish, as long as we stay inside the framework built around us by the government. And that framework has been getting more and more rigid with more and more bars and walls with each passing year. We here see it most with guns, but it is being applied to all areas of life. The difference is the rate of application, and the scope of regulation. 20 years ago, you could choose to wear a seatbelt in your car, or not, as you saw fit. Sure, it is a good idea, you ought to wear one, but it was your choice. Today, it isn't your choice anymore. If you do not wear the mandated belt, the govt will fine you. Take your money as punishment for not following orders.

Just because you do not have daily interaction with govt enforcers doesn't mean that govt isn't "involved" in our daily lives. Look around and think about it.

You may be correct to a degree 44 AMP, but let me remind everyone, the laws are only as effective as those who are willing to obey them. You ever been around during a mass riot when the National Guard are called out to restore order? Law enforcement is generally nothing more than a token portrayal of order and security, they are not obliged to protect you or anyone else but themselves. When the masses make up their mind to do whatever they want to do there's not much, including here in the U.S., that can stop them aside from themselves.
So, my point is, government, is only as relevant as you want it to be.

This has always been true, everywhere

So, my point is, government, is only as relevant as you want it to be.

Our society operates by the consent of the governed. The difference in aristocratic and totalitarian societies is how easily and effectively those governed can express their discontent. Kings and dictators are not easily overthrown, but they have been from time to time throughout history.

Our police are not sufficient force to maintain order without the general population's respect for the law. And they were never intended to be able to. That isn't their job.

Throughout history there are men who did not respect the laws the rest of the people lived under. As individuals they were generally considered outlaws. As groups they were brigands, or rebels, or revolutionaries, depending on whether they were acting soley for themseves, or for a claimed greater good.

Government is as relative as you want it to be, as long as you are willing to pay the price when their opinion is different from yours.

232 years later the Congress and Senate are creating NEW LAWS. I wonder if they will ever get it right. The Founding Fathers got it right the first time. Politicians have beem mucking around ever since.

Back