American Whitetail--why bother?

I sometimes wish Hornady would load some 6x45mm with a bespoke 90 gr or 95 gr interlock. (Hell, even a GMX might be acceptable.)
I love the cartridge, but it's a pain to find suitable bullets to work in it (at least with AR mag length limitations).
And, based on the way that their ammo typically performs for me, it would just work.

Plus... I run Hornady and PPU brass for the 6x45mm, to make it easier to distinguish between .223/5.56 and 6x45mm when sorting. So, the brass would fit right in.

None of the Interlocks will work with 6x45mm - at least with the COAL limitation I'm dealing with.

The 87s are "okay", but still have the ogive below the case mouth. Nothing else comes close to acceptable.

Interlocks and reloading in general....
Nope. I haven't been able to do as well as their factory stuff, either.

None of the Interlocks will work with 6x45mm - at least with the COAL limitation I'm dealing with.

The 87s are "okay", but still have the ogive below the case mouth. Nothing else comes close to acceptable.
Ah--I see, I run into similar problems with my 284 win sometimes, I usually end up seating the base of ogive into the neck a bit.

"Factory ammo has come a long way too. But the stumbling point is cost. I am still shocked by the price of factory premium ammo. I can still load high quality ammo, tailored for my rifles and game, at about half the cost of factory ammo. And there's something about the fact that I made it myself."

That and the fact that if you load your own, you KNOW what that round is going to do when you touch it off. If you didn't put the powder in yourself, you technically don't know.

ammo

I'd have to say that I shoot VERY little factory ammo these days.

When I was working of course, there was issue ammo at quals and training. And I still carry factory ammo in my SD handguns,and if I'm blasting with the AK, I shoot steel case import.

But ALL my hunting ammo is reloaded. All of the 9mm ammo I shoot at the occassional IDPA match I shoot is reloaded. I likely wouldn't be into 10mm like I am, if I didn't load. And I'm loading most of my AR ammo these days too.

I go to the range, and the amount of brass on the ground is oft times staggering. I don't see how people do it.

I reload all my ammo too--but every now and then I'll run some factory stuff--sometimes for things like brass harvesting or pressure/velocity calibration. I don't remember the last time--if ever--that I've shot factory stuff through my creedmoor--impressed nonetheless. The "mainstream" hunting cartridges are hard to beat for their price/performance points.

PS--I'm not big on using someone else's found brass--but that's just me.

Last edited:
I use plenty of range pickup handgun brass.

But I generally avoid it for rifle cartridges (except for .223/5.56). I do make exceptions, such as finding a pile of 20 fired .243 cases next to an empty Remington ammo box. ...But those occasions are rare.

Back