Amazed at slug barrel . . .

Disregard the birdshot through a rifled barrel question. I found the answer by accident reading about something else.

If a barrel is smoothbore, how does one conclude that it is a slug barrel? I thought slug barrels were rifled and that is what made them a slug barrel.

Smoothbore barrels are slug barrels when they have rifle sights on them.

Rifled shotgun barrels are for slugs (they work poorly with shot) but are a fairly recent innovation. Slug guns, with smooth bores and rifle sights predate the rifled slug barrels by many, many decades.

The recoil from my slug guns felt like it was about double my Garand. Probably worse out of the Moss 500. Shooting from standing sitting or kneeling isn't bad, but off a bench or prone was never fun for me. I think that has as much to do with the accuracy reputation as anything. I have seen some impressive flinches come from shotgunners during deer season. Probably given some myself.

I moved to hunting with a muzleloader some years ago and I sold off my sluggers as soon as Ohio allowed cartridge long arms. No regrets.

The recoil from my slug guns felt like it was about double my Garand. Probably worse out of the Moss 500. Shooting from standing sitting or kneeling isn't bad, but off a bench or prone was never fun for me. I think that has as much to do with the accuracy reputation as anything. I have seen some impressive flinches come from shotgunners during deer season. Probably given some myself.

I bought a Mossberg 500 on Sunday with a rifled slug barrel. I guess I'll learn a lesson or two about recoil when I buy some sabot slugs next week to try the barrel out. It isn't so bad with birdshot in the 28" barrel. Maybe the ported barrel will help a little(I hope).

Slugs through my 20g Mav88 don't seem too bad. More than bird or target loads, but I wouldn't say twice my Garand recoil. Although, I've never compared them side by side in the same shooting session.

Back