Am I the only one?

The drought may be over but in my area, the price has not receded. Thus I am reluctant to stock up on bulk 22 ammo when its still at premium prices.

I am finding more opportunities to shoot the match ammo I have accumulated to see what my CZ prefers. That is proving to be a very enjoyable experience.

I rediscovered the joy of the 22 LR when my ammo budget was cut by the city's adoption of the domestic partner vendor policy (early '90s). The city could only buy from vendors who provided employee's domestic partners with health care. My ammo price per case jumped about $40-60! I asked where I was going to get the ducats to buy the ammo we needed.

I finally resorted to 22 LR for practice. We had to buy a few 22 LR guns and then when practice was over, went over to regular service ammunition. I even wrote an article that was published in IALEFI's The Firearms Instructor.

I bought a new .22 rifle about four years ago, put maybe 200 rounds through it, and haven't shot it again, since.
It's as if I've forgotten about my rimfires, as for a few years I could handload any centerfire caliber for cheaper than rimfire, when I could even find the latter.
I should probably buy 100 rounds every time I'm in a store with reasonably-priced rimfire ammo (seven cents a round seems to be the new four cents a round) on the shelves.

I shoot 22 RF's very little anymore and them mostly to put down predator's around my chickens and pigeons, mostly my 22 mag. Hunting with a 22 I just don't do. If I was to go rabbit hunting say, I'd take my S&W mod 16 in 32 long loaded with cast bullet's. Less expensive than buying 22 rim fire ammo and does just as good a job.

The last time at the range, both my son and I shot the Ruger pistol that I bought in 1975. I have others in one of the safes, but this is an old favorite.

I have a Mossberg 144 LS that I use strictly for squirrel hunting. When the pot gets low, I go down on the creek that is lined with pecan trees and get normally <10 to restock the pot.

I used to rabbit hunt as well, but haven't yet this year. Rabbits are good for the pot too.

It depends on what you are going to do with it. I like the basic carbine, but that’s the only one with which I have any experience. That said, I’ve had mine for ~35 years. It has eaten every kind of crappy ammo I have ever tried to feed it, with a minimum of fuss. It’s not a target rifle, but it has spelled death for many a soup can.

Yep , the basic model is what I’d recommend. It will work just fine and when you start buying aftermarket parts you won’t be taking away from the more expensive 10//22 that has those few extras . I have 3 of them , all configured completely different and love each of them for what they are respectfully.

If you're set on a takedown model, I like this one and this one. And honestly, I like them in that order. I like that both have the modular stock system and threaded barrels. (I'm waiting on my first suppressor, so I apparently want everything to have a threaded barrel.) The first one, though, looks like it has a heavier barrel, which (as I understand things) should improve accuracy.

I've never stopped shooting 22s. I slowed down a lot during the slim times but made up for it with 9mm reloads. Now I purchased a red dot for my Mark III and I'm going thru some 22s
Lots of fun.

Back