Am I the only one still using 158gr SWCHP+Ps in snubbies?

I just bought some Lawman 158 gr. TMJ +P's for my 342PD but I confess that I haven't shot them yet. Too much for too light a gun?

Thanks
-Steve

Steve (Thor) I'm no expert, but why would you shoot the TMJ's when the LSWCHP is thought to be so much more effective, with about the same recoil impulse?

The recoil will be stiff, but if your life is at stake, I doubt you'll even notice.

Good point! I am new to this but I understood that the HP's would not spread out of the .38, especially a snub at close distances? I may be completely wrong and I apologize in advance for my ignorance. I bought a box of the regs at a good price but I am wide open to changing!

Thanks!

Steve

You're chances of the h.p. opening up depend on many factors. The one you are wondering about depends on the bullet manufacturer.

Did they design that particular bullet to expand at 38 spl. velocities, or was is designed for 357 mag velocities? As a general rule, larger cavities are for slower velocities, smaller cavities for higher velocities.

Brasso, you've got my vote!

In fact, my .357s have that as their load of choice.

Thor, use the TMJs for practice after (!) you get a box or three of the 158 +P LSWCHPs for carry/SD purposes.

I find that non-plus p 158s hit close enough to the same POA/POI for good practice. YMMV

Giz

158 GR. +P Nyclads are in my 2" concealed carry. I have not been able to find the 158 GR. non +P Nyclads, except in RN. Do they still make the 158 wchp Nyclads in non +P?

Federal does not catalog a non-+P 158 grain Nyclad LSWC-HP. I wasn't aware that they ever did, and if so, it must have been a long time ago.

They do still make a non-+P 125 grain Nyclad HP.

Thor: the non-jacketed lead 158grain +P hollowpoints do tend to expand from snubbies. Not 100% of the time, but pretty close.

The Winchester variant has a decent rep. The Remington is slightly hotter and I would recommend seeking it out online somewhere or at a gun show. It's hard to find retail.

I've seen too many situations where Federal loads their stuff too mild to want to trust them in this instance.

Steve/Thor

The 158gr LSWCHP may (probably will?) expand, even out of the snubbie. In case it doesn't, it still is no worse than your TMJ, and if it does, it's noticably better. Regarding loading that bullet in .357's, I don't think any of the commonly available .357 offerings use it. Soft (as in, can cut a groove in it with a fingernail) swaged bullets lead up something FIERCE at .357 velocities.

Thanks! I am going to shoot this box then trade up! Does evryone still reccomend the 158gr? Would the 110-125 gr be better in that it would mushroom better? (I'm still learning-I bought the 342PD before I fully understood what all the brouhahha was about as an example-great carry gun though)!

Thanks again!

Steve

Listen...

I was thinking about testing this round against PlayDough.
I did about 2 years back, but with bare PlayDough and expansion was excellent, almost unbelievable. Now, give it something to clog-up on such as denim and expansion might be "iffy".

If enough folks are interested, I'll test a couple rounds out this weekend. I just need some feedback on what I might cover the PlayDough with to somewhat simulate what might be encountered on the street.

The test gun will of course be my 2" Taurus M85CH.

Thor...I'm pretty sure lead rounds are a no no in titanium guns since their fierce recoil tends to move the bullet up in the casing and could cause a malfunction.....I'm happy with 125 gold dots in my 442 but you should confirm before buying lead....

In my 442, all the lightweight hightech ammo i've tried prints seriously low. It shoots right to point of aim for me with 2 loads-158 gr. +p (for when you mean it), and 148 gr. DEWC/3 gr. Bullseye- for cheap and pleasant practice.

Perfect setup.

Was ordering some more Nyclad .38 swchp +P on line, and saw that they have the 158 Nyclad swchp .357 in stock. Is a non jacketed h.p. like this one any good in .357 ?

I am carefully hoarding my box of Cor-Bon 158 LSWCHPS- about 100 FPS faster than any others. Wish they still made it- I'm not impressed with their current .38 SPL loads, although I would welcome any other opinions on that.

I agree about CorBon's QC, which is why I generally don't bother with their ammo. That said, I too have a small supply of their .38 Special +P+ 158 grain LSWC-HP for carry. It is from a lot that I know to be quite consistent.

I too wish somebody would come out with this load (i.e., a soft 158 grain LSWC-HP at an honest 1000 fps from a 4" revolver) again.

Oldie but a goodie- - -

the 158 LSWCHP, as loaded by Remington, Winchester or Federal, is still the best-performing all-around .38 Spl load. Also called the Dallas load, because DPD used to issue it.

There is no "Magic Bullet" in .38 Spl, so many of us go with the good, middle-of-the-road, load. Called "Plue P," it packs a goodly velocity for a full-weight bullet, while still being highly accurate and very controlable, and lacking a blazing muzzle flash.

I used top go by Dallas County Crime Lab a couple of times a month, and have seen several of these bullets recovered at autopsies. Typically, from a two-inch, they begin expanding nicely--Usually to around .400". From a four-inch, to nearly .450, and from a six-inch, to a pretty spectacular mushroom. Never saw one fired from a longer-barrel revolver. All that was back in late 70s and early 80s.

Elder son downed two javelinas in about a minute with these loads from his six-inch Colt.

I personally know of several handguns loaded with this number at this moment--and not all in my house. Let's see---Colt Agent, Colt Officers Model Special, S&W M-10 HB 4", M-10 3", M-37 2", M-36 2".
When I load up a .357 for home defense, the first two chambers are loaded with these, and the other four with full-house magnums.

Bullet placement is still tha major concern, of course, but my choice for any .38 Spl is still the 158 LSWCHP.

Best,
Johnny

Back