Am I skilled enough to start IDPA?

CraZkid: They're all my in-laws guns. If I didn't shoot and clean them they'd just sit in the safe.

Lycanthrope: I don't own a gun, I shoot my in-laws guns which are stored in Columbus, OH, otherwise I'd love to check out the local areas.

Shot my first match tonight. Basically, I'm hooked.
4 stages, including one night setup including a BUG.
Finished 2nd in SSP/unrated. 12th overall out of 46.
A lot of fun and learned a lot. Now to get an approprate holster setup.

edit: Got caught up in the results of last night since didn't expect to do that well. More importantly, I should have also noted that I didn't have any safety infractions or warnings - i just managed to shoot fairly well even though I was slower than a lot of guys.
I did see a stage end prematurely, some procedural mistakes, a muzzle sweep that was quickly called out by the SO.
I pasted for a while on a couple stages just to watch others shoot through.

Last edited:
Lycanthrope: I live in Bethel, thanks very much for the offer, very kind of you, but unfortunately this week I'm up to my eyeballs at work.

Shot my first IPSC match a couple of weeks ago. First time to move, reload and draw from a holster. Learned a lot of stuff, had a blast and did not come in last!
Go for it!!!!!:D Just be safe!

Taken from: http://www.defensivepistol.org/codplmatchschedu.html

Outdoor matches are held on the 2nd Saturday May through November at the
Pickaway County Sportsmen's Range (directions found on Range Location page)

Match Fees
$10

Indoor matches are held on the 2nd Saturday December through March at the
Central Ohio Police Officers Training Academy (directions found on Range Location page)

Match Fees
$20

I watched my first IDPA match the first weekend of this month. I can agree with what everyone above said, range masters and shooters alike were very friendly and had no problem with my barrage of questions during downtime. They gave me some valuable tips on gear and practice sessions they utilize to hone their skills. We had shooters there that were very good and quite a few others that took what seemed to be minutes to complete a course of fire.
I plan on competing for the first time next month..

Edicut

My first match

I participated in my first IDPA match this weekend and had a great time. I was slow and had never practiced drawing from my holster, but the safety officers were patient and more than friendly. My advice is "Just Do It" You will have a great time and be glad you did.

So I tried it this weekend, shooting with the guys from Central Ohio and had a blast. It was frustrating having to do a tap & rack every stage because I didn't slam the mags home. But I came back with all my fingers and toes intact and will be going again :D

Back